A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: local shared object questions

will work for bananas
    I've created a searchable members directory for a client that contains the company name, short bio, and a link for a picture for about 600 companies. I currently have all of the variables in a txt file which the movie loads in. I was thinking of creating an application which will allow them to edit/add/delete companies. But unfortunately MX cannot write to a text file. My next logical approach would be to use the new localSharedObjects feature in MX. But I have two questions first. #1 - How much data can these files hold? #2 - Is it possible to have it save the file in the same directory as the movie? Or does anyone know of a better way that I could approach this?

Thanks

Check this tuorial. You will find your answers and can test it.

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Dy...20/index.shtml

will work for bananas
    Thanks cancerinform... it answered one of my questions. But do you know how big the .sol files can be? I'm assuming that the data required for my movie will probably end up being ~200kb or so. Also - if I have all my info in a txt file right now, could I simply 'export' it in flash into .sol format by using the sharedObjects command?

The contents of the files is all on the client machine. It should hold a big file. I would however change the scrollbar to up and down buttons to scroll endlessly.

I can't answer your second question.

will work for bananas
    yeah,... that's kinda what I figured too. I know that the flashplayer would popup a message asking for a certain amount of disk space, but that wouldn't be much of a problem. Actually, I was thinking that maybe I could use the ol' fscommand("save","mytext.txt");. I know that if the person has the flash 6 player installed on their computer, this will not work. The project is actually done in MX, and published as an .exe file. But I was thinking that I might be able to create a separate application in flash 5 that would load the txt file and allow the person to edit and stuff, then save using the above command. I'm guessing that if I publish this editing application as a flash 5 .exe, I might be able to get a way with it? Do you know if this is possible?

Senile member! :)
    In order to create an flash5 .exe you must have Flash 5 since you cannot decide wich version to use when publishing an exe. BTW default "maximum" size of a sharedObject is 100 Kb. The popup shows up when you are trying to use more than this...

And the answer on your second question above is:Nope!

/Mirandir

HI GUYS

hi guys,

The first question is based on the user preferrence...the user has the choice to the size of the shared object and even to disable it.
    The second question is that it cannot be stored in folders as you wish.....it will be stored like a cookie in a set directory.
    You cannot have a control in the directory at which it is stored.

good luck
    gnana

will work for bananas
    alright... thanks for the help fellas!