A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: >>> New SWiSHzone.com website >>>

Check out the new site design and tell us what you think:
    http://www.swishzone.com

Cheers, David.

Hi,

Most people should find it a lot easier to navigate. I have to admit though, it sure looks strange to see THE SWiSH site with NO SWFs on the main page!

Quite a change since the last time I was there (I think that was earlier this evening too?).

I am especially impressed by how a few of the people who work for SWiSH look so much like other people that I have seen somewhere before. For example, on
    http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?a...utus&tab=staff
    people like James MacGregor, Scott Taylor and Dawn Barrie have very familiar looking faces.

[Edited by bill_fact on 08-28-2002 at 02:16 AM]

bill_fact,

Click the "show animation" link in the top right.

This animation is shown the first time someone visits
    the site but won't be shown again unless the user clicks
    that link.

Cheers, David.

Hi,

Is it supposed to be dark gray on black. I had to look VERY hard to see it.

Yes its supposed to be very subtle.

If people complain we'll make it more obvious.

D.

Well... since you ASKED...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Michie

It seems to me that the ideal place to showcase SWiSH's abilities is the Swishzone home page. I realize you want an easy to navigate and fast loading site, but I think you could accomplish this and still incorporate some of SWiSH's panache.

To be honest, while I am constantly amazed by the SWiSh program, I find the site to be generic and pretty unmemorable.

Also, at the top right of the page, the "Show / Hide Animation" button is easily overlooked. I missed it the first time I looked at the page.

Sorry if this hurts someone's feelings. I'm sure someone went to a great deal of effort to do the site.
    It is, at least, a very functional site.

Respectfully,

Robert / artgeek99

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Originally posted by bill_fact

I am especially impressed by how a few of the people who work for SWiSH look so much like other people that I have seen somewhere before. For example, on
    http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?a...utus&tab=staff
    people like James MacGregor, Scott Taylor and Dawn Barrie have very familiar looking faces.

[Edited by bill_fact on 08-28-2002 at 02:16 AM]
    yes, its amazing really, who would have thought that we would have so many lookalikes

dp

artgeek99,

As I said, if you had never visited SWiSHzone.com before
    it would have shown you an in-your-face animation, but
    seeing as you're a return visitor, it doesn't annoy you
    with the same animation every time.

Cheers, David.

Originally posted by David Michie
    artgeek99,

As I said, if you had never visited SWiSHzone.com before
    it would have shown you an in-your-face animation, but
    seeing as you're a return visitor, it doesn't annoy you
    with the same animation every time.

Cheers, David.
    That was posted while I was typing my last post.

R.

David ...

I think the new site looks great ... a much sleeker design - easier to navigate - fluid ... I like the color scheme a lot better -- and the graphics are much "cooler"

Brian

bump

Hi David,

Also I like the new navigation. It's faster and convenient, but also I'm agree with the opinion that the best place to show the abilities of Swish is the homepage. Perhaps to avoid annoying people with the same animation all the time, you could randomly show several animations, even change them ,say it monthly, with the best user animations sent to the swish crew.

Also perhaps if you use white colour for the Show / Hide Animation, should be more visible.

Anyway , I think you have done a great effort in the website. Good work.

Regards,
    mpino

bump

Originally posted by david petley
    yes, its amazing really, who would have thought that we would have so many lookalikes

dp
    The last one looks just like my girlfriend.

Nice site design, really. I like the animation on top and how it's only played once. Is this redesign in preparation for the new version?

h

Loads quickly and easy to navigate, which gives it a 'nod' in my books. If I'm out to buy a product and it takes 10 minutes to load the site it's alt-F4 time.

Suggest some L/R margin in the pages - having them flush against the sides looks squashed.

If you select a different language (I tried German) the other language choices vanish.

Yes... extremely easy navigation. I believe people would enjoy the new demos too. This version of the site seems ....fresher!

Cool!
    Cheers,
    Veniogenesis

i like it very much. a cool professional design - and i think it was a very good idea to do almost completely without flash animations.

I think you should have more Swish in there, especially the buttons. Anyone who is interested in getting Swish has seen Flash so you know they all have the Flash plugin. I think you should use your site to show it off a little more.

I didn't see the animation in the top right because I instantly clicked on demos so I missed it. I had to go back to look for it. The main action should start sooner.

I also think you should be able to download the demos so people can learn from them. You should also have a bunch of free templates, buttons, banners in there. Just collect them from here. Then really lazy people can buy Swish and just edit a template and call themselves a web designer like with FrontPage ;-)

Just my two cents. I love the product.

Originally posted by David Michie

Cheers, David.

I don't really like it much. The design lacks creativity and the layout isn't very appealing, as many of the pages seem to have content just strewn about the page. The banner is unreasonably large for so little content, and the Swish animation (as little as there is) is quite unimpressive.

The product pages show an improvement in useability. The navigation for the product details is very sensible, but wouldn't it be more impactful if it was an .swf ?

All in all, I think the previous version was far more attractive.

If I were managing the site, I'd take some cues from Macromedia and Erain, and place some strong .swf content on the home page. The foremost point of the site should be to stand up and yell "Hey, this is what my product does!"

And by the way... doesn't this thread really belong in the site check forum?

It is better to navigate, and looks cleaner and less cheezy (technical term) than the old version, but I agree, it would seem more fitting with .swf buttons for navigation, etc. that would show practical uses of the product in action. So many people out there think Swish only makes fancy text effects, and the new site doesn't do much to make them think any differently.

One major design flaw in my opinion is the demo pages, or rather...getting to the demo pages. This is the advertisement for your product, and to see what the product actually does, you have to find the small demo text links on the right side of the page...the pages potential customers will most want to see are the smallest links on the entire site? Aren't the demos worthy of a big tab at the top like the rest of the pages? There appears to be room for another link up top...

But the one really yucky thing (another technical term) about the new design is the Swishzone.com name on the banner. It appears to use 2 different font styles in one word? (Swish being one, and zone.com being another). Maybe it is the same font, but it sure doesn't look like it with the odd mix of caps and lower case letters. It needs work.

Still, it's an improvement from what it was.