A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Actionscript VS. Tweening...

I am new to Flash. But I have a basic understanding of OOP. My queestion is this: Is it better to have actionscript performing animation or motion tweening? Let's say I want to make a bogus equilizer where phoney bars move up and down to the sound of music that isn't playing. Is it better to make a MC where the bars are motion tweened or to use some elements in actionscript that can draw the lines and animate via code.

My guess is actionscript. It seems as though that would be better (more efficient) than using motion tweens. Is that correct? What do you guys think?

hmmm... being a man of tweening, i know it can take a while to get everything right. Coding it in actionscript could be more accurate and possibly quicker?
    I know it uses a hell of lot less frames than tweening.

Another thought...

When flash is performing its tweening, I am assuming that it doesn't impact the end result, i.e. in the swf of it. Except maybe size. But it also seems to be that the code version of it, would take less space, but at the same time, the client would have to process the code, right? What is the bigger down fall here?

Just thoughts as I don't know what the he|| i am talking about!

Hi,

To my mind if u simply need to move something here and there, then do it using actionscript. Its less heavy than a tween.

In any case, I suggest u try out both methods...you will get a definite answer.

Cheerio

RanTen

Actionscript movement is superior to tweeening, less CPU intensive, feels more 'natural'. For some movements, they will both look the same, it really depends on what you need it for.

Actionscript! every chance ya get..ONLY if you cant achive the desired efect with AS would I tween. It keeps the files size WAY down..and also I believe tweens are compiled on the fly..where as AS is usually just MATH of some sort...and very quick.

Now I just need to get better with my AS....lol

-whispers-

Cool. Thanks guys... I will have to try both out, but I can see that the real power in flash is in its actionscript!

hhhmmm...

I just realized you have know what you want before you sit down with flash. I thought I would pick it up and make some cool shiz. But I am finding, I am not as smart as I thought I was, and this program makes me feel stupid!

But in a good way; like a woman!

Planet Claire Embassator herr_dada's Avatar
    watch out brisavgab!! your footer can only be 300x40, if you dont correct it, a mod will come after you, and rip your head off!!! LOL

i didn't know you can making animations with actionscripts!!! how on earth do you do that?

I was aware you could use AS for animation, but where do you start learning how? Any good books to get me started?

Welcome to flavour country
    I find if you're doing something simple then a tween is the way to go. Of course, there are some things a tween can't do (easily) and that's when actionscript comes in handy.

Just to get you started, create a movieclip and place it on the stage. Give it an instance name, click on it and open the actionscript editor (I'm going to assume you're using flash 5) and enter this code:

Code:
    onClipEvent(enterFrame){
    this._x+=5;
    }
    Crude and simple, but a starting point.