A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: microsoft security flaw #2,903,532,127

Originally posted by killabry
    its AN, not A.

MCSE is pronounced "Em-see-es-Ee"
    It is actually a vowel beginning the word.
    I think this is one of those american english/english english things, as far as I know in england it's definitely 'an' but in north america it seems to be 'a'...

Originally posted by gerbick
    I say tomato, you say crack addict.
    lol - nice one Gerbick.

I say "an" as well if you are saying the acronym, however, if you are trying to pronouce it as if it were a word, I would still go with "an".

It's one of those things to do with our style of thinking, and our accent. ie, what aversion said.

-genesis f5 (genesis mx)

FK Official Postman
    I do written a, spoken an..so much quicker to pronounce...

http://www.edufind.com/english/grammar/DETERMINERS3.cfm

INDEFINITE ARTICLE

A / AN

Use 'a' with nouns starting with a consonant (letters that are not vowels),
    'an' with nouns starting with a vowel (a,e,i,o,u)

Examples:

A boy
    An apple
    A car
    An orange
    A house
    An opera

NOTE:
    An before an h mute - an hour, an honour.
    A before u and eu when they sound like 'you': a european, a university, a unit

The indefinite article is used:

to refer to something for the first time:
    An elephant and a mouse fell in love.
    Would you like a drink?
    I've finally got a good job.
    to refer to a particular member of a group or class

Examples:

with names of jobs:
    John is a doctor.
    Mary is training to be an engineer.
    He wants to be a dancer.
    with nationalities and religions:
    John is an Englishman.
    Kate is a Catholic.
    with musical instruments:
    Sherlock Holmes was playing a violin when the visitor arrived.
    (BUT to describe the activity we say "He plays the violin.")
    with names of days:
    I was born on a Thursday

to refer to a kind of, or example of something:
    the mouse had a tiny nose
    the elephant had a long trunk
    it was a very strange car
    with singular nouns, after the words 'what' and 'such':
    What a shame!
    She's such a beautiful girl.
    meaning 'one', referring to a single object or person:
    I'd like an orange and two lemons please.
    The burglar took a diamond necklace and a valuable painting.

Notice also that we usually say a hundred, a thousand, a million.

NOTE: that we use 'one' to add emphasis or to contrast with other numbers:

I don't know one person who likes eating elephant meat.
    We've got six computers but only one printer.

http://www.english-zone.com/grammar/a-anlessn.html

A/AN - Lesson on Articles

WHEN TO USE -A-

Use a if the next word begins with a consonant SOUND.
    This is a sound rule, NOT a spelling rule.

a box
    a cat
    a university (university begins with a consonant sound)
    a unicorn (unicorn begins with a consonant sound)
    a European trip (European begins with a consonant sound)
    a hotel (hotel begins with a consonant sound)

WHEN TO USE -AN-

Use AN if the next word begins with a vowel SOUND.
    This is a sound rule, NOT a spelling rule.

an atom
    an entrance
    an ice cream cone
    an uncle (uncle begins with a vowel sound)
    an hour (the h is silent, thus a vowel sound)

griffhiggins... are you telling that you think that a mac is harder to use than a PC!? kid, get real.... it's simpler, and has software.

It has more software than Linux...but lets face it...most games..and lots of software..isn't mac compatible.

Another problem with Macs? They're overpriced...I want to be able to build my own...like a PC.

I've used 3 distributions of Linux...I liked them all. It was fun to use and figure out.

Things are not arranged in a logical form like the PC...and the Mac.

I did a short review of Mandrake..you can probably find it...you'll see I gave it high marks.

My biggest complaint is that it is uneccessarily complicated. I don't need more than one GUI, etc...

Later,
    Clif

FK Official Postman
    Originally posted by clifgriffin
    My biggest complaint is that it is uneccessarily complicated. I don't need more than one GUI, etc...
    Might i suggest sticking to the one you prefer and not installing the other?

Originally posted by clifgriffin
    griffhiggins... are you telling that you think that a mac is harder to use than a PC!? kid, get real.... it's simpler, and has software.

It has more software than Linux...but lets face it...most games..and lots of software..isn't mac compatible.

Another problem with Macs? They're overpriced...I want to be able to build my own...like a PC.

I've used 3 distributions of Linux...I liked them all. It was fun to use and figure out.

Things are not arranged in a logical form like the PC...and the Mac.

I did a short review of Mandrake..you can probably find it...you'll see I gave it high marks.

dude. that just sounded like the most uneducated, windows drone drivel I've ever heard, or expected from anybody.

ever.

games? dude. if a machine was measured by the games only, then the Commodore and Amiga would still be king. Shadow of the Beast, and all of the other Psygnosis games were there before the Sierra's and LucasArts... what not...

erm. not mac compatible? solution: buy the mac compatible version.

easy enough.

macs being overpriced? compared to what? Ever looked at the price of a SGI? or what about a Sun workstation? or, do you mean the $599.00 Dell that you'll be replacing 3 times over the next three years. yep... a real deal.

broaden your scope and experience before spouting out stuff like you know what you're talking about. clearly, this is a case where you do not.

Linux is arranged as logically as you can get. oh, wait... I also have an UNIX background. that explains it... I have experience with it. you don't. It makes sense to me.

dude. you just need to do research, instead of instantly labelling things as unusable, wrong, incorrect, or improper. as alien as windows was to you when you first started, so will the others.

you're unwilling to learn something new? fine with me. just don't go around like you're some type of authority, when you really don't know what the heck you're talking about.

need a book? I have a few old ones laying about as well as my collegiate notes too. I'll gladly send them to you. maybe you'll learn something before you open your mouth.

intolerance. inability to learn. or just lazy? either way... sad.

oh, and it's a well-known fact. I run all of the aforementioned operating systems at my house, and in my office.

My Vaio celebrates its 8th birthday this year.

I don't know why everyone is taking this so seriously...I've used Windows and the Mac...the Mac is much easy to pick up on...relatively.

I used Linux for nearly a month...and still couldn't figure it out....

I'm well aware that my windows background makes it hard..but it just doesn't seem logical to me.

I went into detail about this in a post about madrake awhile back...it contains my more detailed analysis of it.

Me unwilling to learn another OS? Not at all...I have really enjoyed figuring out linux...while I had it installed that is.

I eventually plan to figure out linux..but my first month wasn't good enough for me to justify using my second computer on it.

(Not that it matters, but many games don't have a mac version....I don't believe any of the ones I own do.)

Also, the Mac is more expensive...I want to be able to build my own...from hardware manufacturers that are competitive...and don't own the market...like Macintosh.

I don't really care...I was just making observations...use what you want.

Clif

serious? no.

more like... if you think it's hard/impossible, but never really gave it more than just a second thought, very little of an attempt, or even have anything intelligent, then don't share.

maybe I'm risking sounding like an elitist; but your statements are that of an extremely narrow-minded person.

personal pet peeve of mine.

it's annoying to see how people can just allow Microsoft, and other companies just blindly lead them to their future versions of their software, without securing it.

stupid...

anyway, they say ignorance is bliss.

enjoy.

guess it's funny moreso than anything else that people that supposedly belong to my generation are so unwilling to learn anything. too unbelievable.

Actually a lot of games I want to play require DOS such as BAK and Rayman.

As MS discontinued it in XP and my games that I want to play on a regular basis won't work on anything beyond ME it really doesn't matter much to me what the newest Windows version can or can't do at all as it won't play my favorite games and if I want to continue playing those games I have to maintain an old machine running 9X/ME.

A new low end Imac is $799 a new low end PC equally equiped is about the same perhaps a few dollars less. Unless you go with a completly cheap machine such as the E-Machine $389 Special. Then again you have the Wal-Mart Lindows $299 special and the Lindows $199 special that they keep emailing me about. If you really want lowest cost its going to be a Lindows machine or a bought/built Naked machine running something besides Windows.