A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

they call me the_jump... le_saut's Avatar
    my tip : try Sam Spade - it has a browser inbuilt that renders really clean code

cheers
    James

Originally posted by tonyknibb
    http://www.gutweek.org.uk/popup_index.html

click on ANY of the 'What the experts say...' links...

Oh, lookie here! I can see the copy from BELOW the layer through the layer - but only at the lower half of the layer. Now that ain't right. It displays just fine in Nutscrape 4.7, Nutscrape 6, IE 4/5/6 (on MAC and PC). BUT NOT IN MOZILLA 1.1?

WHY?[/B]
    Try putting this at the end of your div:

[div style="clear: both"][/div]

(with angular brackets obviously). I have no idea whether this is a Mozilla problem or a weakness in the standards but vertical dimensions are always tricky, you have to force the browser to recognise the end of the content. IE has the same problem on some pages, where it just cuts off the rest of the page.

Here's a good article about these sort of things.

Just in general though - I'm really surprised by all these replies in favour of IE dominance that then moan about the problem of developing for different browsers in the same breath. That's exactly why the W3C exist, so that this problem won't exist in the future! And isn't it much better to have a wide choice of browsers that all implement the standards cleanly rather than just one (IE) that doesn't quite get there?

- n.

Well said enemem. The problem that occured in the first place was that browsers weren't following standards. IE is especially guilty for this, "inventing" it's own. I'm now on a standards compliant browser, and it renders most things wonderfully. If a site doesn't work, it's their problem - I tend to leave pretty quickly. Funnily enough, I have a feeling my customers would do the same on any site I run, hence the fact they get properly tested. How many sites have you seen that don't function properly in Moz/NS7 though?

resolved ....but

I tried the site with two different browsers....NC 4.76 and IE 6.0. The NC site was overlapping and the three dimensional pages I saw when pulling it up on IE were gone, though the site still looked...off.

I am not a proponent of any one web browser so to speak...but... I don't USE my netscape because it tends to crash and or does not allow me to view grapics and flash. Gave it up years ago, hense I don't have the upgrade, I do keep it to test....doubt I am alone in that respect.

Here is a link to see what I got from the
    Layers- go here http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/ and test in NS 7.0 and IE 6 and then tell me which one complies better- Hint... It isn't IE.
    Here is what I saw:

http://66.177.85.38:8080/~windy/IE.jpg

http://66.177.85.38:8080/~windy/NN.jpg

I guess if I had to make an assumption based on these two visual representations of one site on two browsers.....I go for the IE......while I seek a horizontal scroll bar...lol

Hey hows that for objectivity? (o;'~
    [Edited by dinese on 09-16-2002 at 04:24 PM]

they call me the_jump... le_saut's Avatar

Re: ....but

I don't USE my netscape because it tends to crash and or does not allow me to view grapics and flash. Gave it up years ago, hense I don't have the upgrade, I do keep it to test....doubt I am alone in that respect.

Ummmm..... of course if you use Netscape 4 you are going to run into diffulties, that's what the upgrade (free) to Mozilla or other Gecko browsers (eg NS7, Chimera) is there for.

A site doesn't work in NS 4 ergo all Mozilla based browsers are crap is like saying "May cat is brown, therefore all cats are brown".

rgds
    James

resolved ..yes but

....good point but....

I did not infer an "all or nothing" in my review, just a review and my personal experience given the use of one vs the other. There is no doubt that upgrades may help, but I am of the thought that if it "aint broke" why fix it school, and I have had my days with one vs the other....

That is not to say I am not open to change....I just wait for the frosting on the cake so it wont taste so dry...

Still courious though, as to why the site was "not right" even in IE..I have had my share of cross compatibility issues, as I am sure many of you do and to go back to the original posts....it sure would be nice to have scripts built into all of the new browsers to eliminate hours of jostling around scripts to please every browser online.

Re: ..yes but

Originally posted by dinese
    Still courious though, as to why the site was "not right" even in IE..I have had my share of cross compatibility issues, as I am sure many of you do and to go back to the original posts....it sure would be nice to have scripts built into all of the new browsers to eliminate hours of jostling around scripts to please every browser online.
    Well, simple enough. IE isn't standards compliant. They follow Microsoft standards, but not W3C ones properly. The implementation of CSS2 in IE is buggy IIRC (please correct me if I'm wrong here), and NS4 wasn't nicknamed Nutscrape for nothing - it wasn't exactly W3C material either. Admittedly, NS6 was a disaster, due to the fact Netscape stuck a pretty wrapper on pretty much unfinished code (I think it was Moz 0.94 or something similar), and of course we got one of the most unstable things I've ever seen.

I find IE crashed far more than Mozilla. Haven't really played with NS7. But Mozilla was designed specifically to follow standards - hence the fact it's been being refined and rewritten for the last 4 and a half years or so. Opera is apparantly pretty good for it too.

Regarding scripts: if the browsers were compliant in the first place, they'd all render it the same way, and there wouldn't be a need. Also, which language would you write it in? Most browsers understand Javascript, but MS implemented JScript and VBScript, which nothing else can fathom. There's another one for the standards lobby.

Mind you, Javascript was developed by Netscape in the first place, but I'm not sure whether it's an open standard or not now. *shrug*

resolved yes...

Regarding scripts: if the browsers were compliant in the first place, they'd all render it the same way, and there wouldn't be a need. Also, which language would you write it in? Most browsers understand Javascript, but MS implemented JScript and VBScript, which nothing else can fathom. There's another one for the standards lobby.

Mind you, Javascript was developed by Netscape in the first place, but I'm not sure whether it's an open standard or not now. *shrug*
    very true and sad to say the least. So what options lay
    for the developer who wants to make his/her work compatible and not spend three days doing it? (o;