A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mac crash

Flash Rice
    I have a question
    I used getURL to open a new browser to go to a specific link let's say ADOBE, it's not even a javascript function to popup a new window with custom dimension, but it crashed my client's mac twice.

I don't get it, there's nothing I can do about it right.. I mean it's just a standard [very basic] action script code in Flash.. so I think the problem is not in the flash movie..probably in his browser??

I can't put the link here, I have to ask for a permission first

any thoughts?
    [Edited by 350z on 09-11-2002 at 10:57 AM]

if you go directly to the where the pop-up is going - assuming you embedded the swf file into an html page, and it works fine - then I'd consider dropping the popup.

I understand about not posting the link. ok. is your code for the pop-up rather standard? or did you code something strangely? also, does this work on your machine? you could post an example with example swf's, so that we could see if the Javascript code is working correctly.

Flash Rice
    well the script is something like this:

"on (release) {
    getURL("http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html", "_blank");
    }"

thats it.

and for the embeded swf file:
    on a button:

on (release) {
    getURL("javascript:launch2('http://www.ivankandi.com/concept/tcfarm.htm','tcfarm1','height=365,width=500,toolba r=no,scrollbars=no,location=no,menubar=no')");
    }

I will try to add a link later today, because this week is a dateline, and I'm running out of time, so I will persuade my client to post the link here.. so that I will know whether the script or the machine/browser is the problem.

dude. that looks rather standard. does it crash other macs?

and, which version of IE is he running? can you convince him to upgrade, due to security and transactional issues in earlier versions of IE on the mac?

IE on the mac, just sucks...

Flash Rice
    yes it's really standard.
    well I'm not sure, I asked him once, I think it's 5.x or somthing.

thanks anyway gerbik..
    ps: i like the "BLEH" thing.. where did you get those? did you make that?

lol. yeah, the "bleh" is my domo-kun avatar. you can get a custom avatar after 1000 posts here at Flashkit. I didn't make it... weirdly enough, I held a contest here on this site, and out of the numerous replies, I chose this one... especially since I had already had a domo-kun as my avatar...

hmmm. strange, indeed. I'm running MacOS X 10.2 with IE 5.1.2 and I just popped that code into a web page, and no issues... strange indeed.

Flash Rice
    thanks dude..
    I really appreciate it.