A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAC vs. PC.......

1 SWIFT APPLE

Arrow

hey guys whats up... i Know i should be jumping in ur board like this but i've been using PC's for about 4-5 years now with graphics and i'm doing great... BUT do u think the switch from PC - Mac would be worth it for me? because right now i'm not having any problems with my PC i was just looking to see if there was a certain reason why switching to a MAC would be better...

thanks

Well, for me it was the combination of access to all the design tools with the BSD core that hooked me the developer tools are just awsome!

1 SWIFT APPLE
    BSD core??

BSD, a type of Unix. Unix has been around for 30 years... a lot more stable than Windows can ever claim.

However, use what you're used to. there is really no better, or worse.

I use both. Apple and PC, as well as Linux. I like them all.

Originally posted by nucleuz
    Well, for me it was the combination of access to all the design tools with the BSD core that hooked me the developer tools are just awsome!
    That's exactly why I'm going out and buying a G4 TiBook 800mhz/1G RAM this coming Tuesday.
    To be clear though, it's a BSD/Mach hybrid micro-kernal at the core of OSX, hence a slight variation of standard BSD.

But yes....
    Finally, I'll be able to have Photoshop/Flash et al up and running as well as Postgres, MySQL, Apache and PHP/Perl all in one handy dandy and oh so mobile location.
    And with CDPD internet... DSL anywhere I go.

I have seen some minor caveats with OSX, but on the whole, you can't beat it if you are a designer/developer.

To the original poster:
    Itemize what you do and read up on what Mac offers in those areas. Also, read up and find what Mac doesn't offer.
    I chose OSX as my next box because it does everything that I do and also, I took the time to find specialty gear to ensure it would do everything I wanted it to (such as CDPD), so research before you decide on a solution.

Originally posted by l0ungeb0y
    I have seen some minor caveats with OSX, but on the whole, you can't beat it if you are a designer/developer.
    <devil's advocate>

be more explicit. give me exact details.

</devil's advocate>

Be more explicit?

Well, for a start, one could just pop their head out and read all the threads regarding poor performace of the Flash plugin (which I was already aware of), a lower end version of IE, your previous mention in another thread about no 3DS Max, plus just the obvious fact that OS X though popular among mac users, is still a baby and hence currently evolving (Quartz Extreme etc)

As I said though, the caveats are minor, but they are there.
    The question is, can you live with them/work around them?
    I'm certain that in time the *nix/Mac marriage will really pay off, right now however may not be the best time for people to "switch" from the PC to the Mac, expecially if they aren't media-centric or rely heavily upon software that isn't yet or shall never be featured in OS X.

To be sure, there are many equivelant packages and the Mac does offer most commercial software titles, especially where media is concerned... but I wouldn't say Mac is for everyone. Nor would I say any one platform is for everyone.
    Just do the math on what you do, subtracted by what a given platform doesn't do and see if it's a good fit.
    ...common sense really.

thanks loungeboy. just did not want your original meaning to go unsaid, or misunderstood.

I personally am slowly switching over to Mac... still have to keep a PC around though... Microsoft Visual Studio.NET is not on Mac.

Originally posted by gerbick
    I personally am slowly switching over to Mac... still have to keep a PC around though... Microsoft Visual Studio.NET is not on Mac.
    And there I expect to see an OS X port of Sun's One platform as well as Ximians mono

Also, I wouldn't put it past M$ to release .net server features for the xserver (damn nice 1U rack) and work on integrating .net further into OSX. Hence the MSN messenger and it's Office Suite for OS X, these __will__ be core parts of .net integration on the PC, so logic dictates on the Mac as well (though a lower priority for release).

Once again, caveats, but we see some hope on the horizon for integrated development platforms such as .Net Tools for OS X.

And I found this in the Mono FAQ:
    Question 100: Has anyone succeeded in building a Mac version of the C# environment. If so can you explain how?

You could try to check with the Darwin people, or the Fink people. Mono/C# is self hosting on Linux/PPC which is the hard part, so it should be relatively simple to get it to work on macos

Also, found this link to a page where they announce a strong likelyhood of a full Ximian Mono port of both the server environment and development tools to OS X in the near future.

This is just a report, not a defacto press release or announcement other than an intention. But, it would make sense to create a port to OS X.

I have to say i'm extremely impressed with jaguar.
    Not only does it fly (and i haven't even installed my Radeon 8500 yet, though it has just arrived ), but the feature set is really well thought out in the majority of cases.

I've had a play about with things like Inkwell (you can start it up without a tablet attached) and it looks pretty damn good.
    The Rendezvous/CUPS combination is superb; by brother turned on printer sharing and his printer became my default printer immediately, with not configuration by me, as i have no printer attached. I was able to print as soon as printer sharing was turned on.
    Just one of the many little things that makes Macs my platform of choice; that extra bit of thought into it.

l0ungeb0y is spot on though when he says you should match up what you need to do with what Macs can do.
    Just ask about anything your not sure about, and i'm sure we'll all give what advice we can...

Large Member
    Originally posted by gerbick
    BSD, a type of Unix. Unix has been around for 30 years... a lot more stable than Windows can ever claim.

However, use what you're used to. there is really no better, or worse.

I use both. Apple and PC, as well as Linux. I like them all.

but to make things clear, just because os x is unix based, doesn't mean it's as stable as unix. it's about on par with windows xp.

Not from what i've seen of XP.
    A friend of mine bought a brand new dell, from the day he turned it on it's crashed regularly.
    He found the solution to the problem in the end; wait 5 minutes after the desktop appears and it'll be ok...

jookbox, I've used MacOS X for over a year now, and I've had one kernel panic attack - a kernel error - and it's failed me once. whereareas, my laptop runs WinXP, and even as an MCSE, my WinXP box has occassional issues when it decides to...

but I digress. both OS's can be made more stable. I just think that Unix based OS's are more stable.

My slogan is.

"Want to pay double? Buy A Mac!"

my slogan is: 300 pixels by 40 pixels at 15k max pertaining footers.

you're 5 pixels over. please trim down.

thanks in advance

Happy?

aww. there was no need to remove it!

now I look like I was talking about nothing...

is my car plate number.

Mac vs PC????

I was a 10 years of PC freak, but since I've been using Mac, I fell in love with it. I decided to shift to Mac for designing stuff; though I have keep my Win XP for Windows-only components.... Too bad.....
    I was wondering, why there is no G4 that can dual boot up Mac OS and Windows XP???

why not use Virtual PC? instead of dual boot, use Windows within MacOS?