A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: who keeps the source files? you or client?

In the event that a client would want to part ways, and wanted to take the source files of their website with them- what's the common practice?

If it isn't noted as copywritten, does that mean it's open?

I have a client who wants to switch from another to me and part of their site is php, and there's a flash bit in there as well.

Do I have any right to request the .fla for editing, should the php code be given to the client as well by the current hosting company (whom also developed the php) ?

If it were me who was being asked to hand over the .fla file, I would be hesitant to do so. But php is code, does that make any difference?

thanks all,
    cisco

i keep it...unless in the contract it is specified that the client gets the fla which in turn i charge extra and present it to them on CD-ROM

Well, I usually just keep a copy of the sites to host on my site to show off or keep as a reminder or sample.

My Advice: Keep a copy of everything you design

never, ever give away your source files, unless your contract makes it part of the deal.

I make them pay 18 times the charged fee to get my source files... I don't like them to have my source files, unless they really want to pay for them.

Yup, same here...
    I dont give aways fla's or even psd's unless the clients pays extra for them. Even tough, here in mexico its not very common because not many people uses Flash

i know some companies that charge 175% more for source files. Definitely add a premium to any contract that includes source.

I did a redesign job for a company that had a flash site bodged by another designer, after much haranguing he eventually turned over all the original flash files as swish files.

other people import the SWF into a blank FLA, so you get just a long line of keyframes.

Moast of the time i'd give it for free, cauze the site is also free, but me also saves it for him selve!

most of my experience has been working for companies in which cases they've kept all of the source files. usually I do keep a copy for my portfolio or to show prospective employers.

Originally posted by vampstko
    i keep it...unless in the contract it is specified that the client gets the fla which in turn i charge extra and present it to them on CD-ROM
    Same here

btw , xtentic ... please change your Sig ... the Image size is by no means 300/40 Hello ,Mods !!!