A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Render out of Max for compositing in After Effects...

Hey everyone. I have a question I hope someone can answer, or at least point me towards I helpful tutorial...

I have a model animated in 3ds Max. I want to composite this animation over video in After Effects. What's the best way to go about doing this? How should I render out the animation from Max? Is there any way that I could render out the animation with a transparent background? Does anyone know of a tutorial that explains a way to put my Max model over video? Thanks a lot,

Make the background limegreen or blue and use cromakey.

The only way I know how to make the background green is to go into Render > Enviroment and change the color. But then this gives my model a green tint. Is there someway to pick a background color without tinting the model?

Maybe its just an optical allusion. If it is truly green tinted then contact discreet cuz thats a major problem.

heres another way:

TGA files allow you to retain transparency. Export the animation as a sequence of TGA files so the background remains transparent.. Load up after effects and import the sequence....

no need for keying!

How do I set up the 3ds max output to be transparent though? It defaults to black, and I can't figure out how to set it to transparent.

There is no transparent option for a movie, but for a single image you can export to PNG with the Alpha Channel intact. That would make the black transparent.

correct me if I'm wrong. AfterEffects, like Combustion, will accept *.rla files, no?

if that's the case, your file will be layered and will have the camera and object information intact. You can separate or mask whatever you'd want within AfterEffects as you'd like.

I'm in the process of rebuilding all of my machines, so I can't answer at the moment... but soon, I will.

Thanks for the help guys, its working pretty well!

which is working for you?