A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question to all 3rd party authors

SWF Studio, FlashNPack, Flash Studio Pro.....

I've made a few CDs for the company I work for using flash and just exported them as projector files, made my own autorun, and away I went. They both WORK, and of course there are things that I would like to improve upon, but is there any advantage to using one of your packages to create and swf that your software makes into an exe?

About the things I want to improve with the stuff I did--I need to make folders, copy files to them, then run the files from those folders-Did it all with batch files, and the boxes are about the nastiest thing I could imagine-Thought about doing it all in VB, but haven't had time. Looks like FlashN will allow me to make dirs and copy/run/del, but couldn't find much about the others on this---Also, need to run some non-standard files (.cpl for instance). Can FlashN or the others do this?

One more thing-With the make dir/copy/run/del file aspect, can these things be done when a frame is passed, or do they have to be run by a user action to happen?

Sorry for the long post, and I suppose I could DL and install each (with the exception of Flash SP--Dead links), but I'm sort tired of installing tons of trial/eval software...I always forget to uninstall and then it becomes a mess on the ol' HD.

Thanks-

From personal experince(I've played with flash studio and Swf Studio) I would go with Swf Studio.

Using Flash 'N Pack will allow you to copy/delete/rename/create folders and more.....
    Run .cpl file with Flash 'N Pack is a simple as 1,2,3 ... not only that in the Coming release of Flash 'N Pack you can even create .cpl files that will show under the users Control Panel... which no other application can do...
    Currently Flash 'N Pack has Over 250 fscommand, ranging from File Operations to Hardware control... and more to come.. Also Flash 'N pack includes Database support.. Don’t let all these features offered by the software lead you to thinking that your output projector.exe will be huge in size.... and run slow....Iin fact Flash 'N Pack output files are the smallest in that Market, and run Fast very fast due to the optimized engine.... find out for your self please take a moment and grab the trial version ... at:
    http://www.flashnpack.com and by the way if you like to participate in testing our latest beta version. Get it here http://www.flashnpack.com/forum and don't forget to post your wishes while you're at it... which will most likely be added in this coming release.. so hurry don't waste any more time.....come on in and join the Flash ‘N Pack family.

Did i mention that you can still run your .bat files in a hidden mode: with one fscommand:

fscommand ("shell","yourbat.bat,,0);

it's that simple....
    [Edited by Flash 'N Pack on 09-21-2002 at 04:13 PM]

Hi,

With Flash Studio Pro you can do all of what you have just asked and more.

You can copy, run, execute etc and we have a planned create folder command which will be available in a day or two also. You can also use the exec_adv command to create a folder using a batch file, but the advantage to our command is that the batch remains invisible. ie. No ugly dos box.

As far as other benefits over swf studio and flash n pack, Flash Studio allows you to:
    Connect to an access database
    Use real time sockets to connet to other flash studio Projectors and pass variables
    Create windows style menus at runtime
    Joystick Support
    Enable DirectX Resolutions for fullscreen viewing

And some other great functions.

All 3 applications are very good and each have their strengths, but we belive Flash Studio to be the most well rounded and allow you to do more with your projectors with less commands. Most actions take place with just 1 fscommand and can be run either on a frame or as a user input.

I hope this helps and I hope they all come in handy for you.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

If you don't want to go through all the trouble of converting everything you've done with your BAT files, SWF Studio offers a simple solution.

fscommand("RunMode", "Hidden");
    fscommand("Exec", "copyfiles.bat");
    fscommand("RunMode", "Normal");

The RunMode command with the "hidden" parameter makes sure that no ugly DOS boxes will be visible, but your BAT file will run just like it always did. RunMode with the "normal" parameter resets things so the next command you EXEC will be visible (if that's what you want).

RunMode allows you to control whether the things you EXEC will be visible to the user or run hidden, minimized or maximized.

Of course, if you want to redo all your work you can The SWF Studio FileSys plugin provides fscommands that give you access to the file system and allow you to perform file and directory operations just like normal windows applications.

We have reviewed the others and we strongly recommend SWF Studio! The product is great and their support is beyond excellent! We have created standalones and screensavers for our Clients with SWF Studio and are very happy with this fine tool!

Dare to Dream
    I'd say that Flash Studio and swf Studio are the better of the 3, but Flash Studio Pro excells on every level. Flash n Pack is great on "paper" so to speak but far too unstable.

My company uses Flash Studio pro, it offers the most features by far and their technical support is astounding. I've also had over 2 major updates since buying the software, and each update adds even more functionality. The last one I downloaded even has directx resolutions thrown in! I'm working on a game at the moment and that's just what the doctor ordered.

1a2b3c4d, I'd like to read your reviews for all 3 products...are they online anywhere?

Originally posted by DDream
    Flash n Pack is great on "paper" so to speak but far too unstable.
    Did you have any Issues using Flash 'N Pack..?
    Could you please be more specific and tell us what exactly do you mean by unstable?....
    There are no reports that suggested the software being unstable..

Please let us know. We can help.

Thank you for your feedback.

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    I have used SWF Studio to create a directory on a network drive, Copy 2 excel files to that directory, Rename them based on the date and then launched them using excel. It works great and I will never use any of the other 3rd party tools again. Good Job Northcode!!!

Dare to Dream
    Flash'n'pack, when I installed your app, it crashed my PC. Then, when I tried to reboot, it took me 3 attempts before my PC would launch WITHOUT having to go through the safemode routine. Then, when I finally got it working again and compiled an executable, the exe ran once and then locked up my machine.

I was doing this on a clean system with Win98.

Originally posted by DDream
    My company uses Flash Studio pro, it offers the most features by far and their technical support is astounding. I've also had over 2 major updates since buying the software, and each update adds even more functionality.
    SWF Studio's Technical Support is even better. I have never had a reply to an issue take more than 24 hours but most replies are even faster than that. They are also very good replies and almost always answer my question on the first time. Flash Studio Tech Support has never answered a few of my questions that I have e-mailed them regarding their Free Version. I guess they dont care about those users. I also asked Gambini 3 weeks ago to send me an e-mail when the newest version of their product was going to be released so that I could judge it fairly and not just bash on it. He said that he'd send it and he never did. I know that they have had a few new releases since then but have decided not to try it because of their lack of care for their customers.

You also say that they add new features often. Northcode also listens to what his registered users want and adds those features. If you register with him, he even adds some features that you want within a week and will give you a link to download.

I would definately stick with SWF Studio as it is the greater of the 3rd Party tools any day.

Dare to Dream
    GIVE IT A REST YOU MORON! ALmost every post you ever put up is a bashing on Flash Studio and pitch for SWF Studio. I actually remember the very first time that Flash studio was announced - all you did was bash it and encourage flame wars, and that's all you're doing now. So are you on swf studio's payroll?

I'm a Flash Studio customer and I can tell you their support is fantastic. I have had a response within the hour every time, and as a commercial customer they email me regulary about product updates. The lastest one I downloaded is FAR SUPERIOR to the other apps out there. Direct x, projector communication, joystick input, can your other apps do this? ...and it's COMPLETELY FREE if you don't plan to distribute your work. I mean, what else do you want?

I'm a newbie to this board but from almost 99% of the posts I read on here, all you seem to do is talk bad about flash studio and spend all day advertising swf studio. I used both and I REALLY LIKE BOTH, but in the end I chose flash studio because it offers MORE for LESS and the support was second to none. I'd recomend both products to people reading, but I can't stand morons posting rubbish on what is supposed to be a professional community.

Ddream, whilst we greatly appreciate your support, I just wanted to point out that name calling isn't really keeping with the professionalism of the flash kit boards, and will only fan the fires of any flame wars. We appreciate your input and thank you for your support of Flash Studio, I hope those new updates are coming in useful!

Jasonsplace, we pride ourselves on our support and our testimonials are testiment to that. If we didn't reply to your queries, it's because we didn't receive them. I also recommended that you use Flash Studio and jufge it fairly and I also told you that I will email you once the update is available, and that still stands. The minor updates we have released have been for the benefit of our commercial customers, and functionality that they specificly requested. Our major general release has been postponed slighlty and I WILL email you once it is available.

Thanks for the Response. I don't want to start another Flame War (Even though the last one was kind of fun). I am just speaking from experience. I would really like to try out the database functionality for Flash Studio and I will as soon as I get that e-mail. DDream, to answer your question, I'm Not on Northcodes Pay roll. I'm a Utah college student who tests computer games for a job.

I have one question to jasonsplace:

Did you ever pay the $139 to NorthCode and register his product?

I don't think so......

I forgot to answer DDreams question:

Hmmm out of thousands that use Flash 'N Pack you are the only one that reported such error, if you still have trouble with Flash 'N Pack please let me know..
    Just so that you know: when you install Flash 'N Pack nothing gets copied to your Windows or System Directory, besides the Flash Player if needed... also Flash 'N Pack doesn't modify your registry or anything it is self contained software so it is very unlikely that the problem comes from us...but if you like we can always work together to figure out the problem.... let us know...
    [Edited by Flash 'N Pack on 09-23-2002 at 03:15 PM]

Dare to Dream
    Originally posted by Gambini
    Ddream, whilst we greatly appreciate your support, I just wanted to point out that name calling isn't really keeping with the professionalism of the flash kit boards, and will only fan the fires of any flame wars.
    Yes, ok, you're right Gambini. I take the name calling back, but his argumentative posts are certainly also uncalled for.

Also, FnP, I tried your app again on a clean install with XP and it worked this time. Are there some issues with Win98?

Flash 'N Pack,
    I have a few questions for you based on something that you said to me.
    Why don't you think I paid to register the product?
    and
    Is it any of your business anyway?
    Thanks

Originally posted by jasonsplace
    Flash 'N Pack,
    I have a few questions for you based on something that you said to me.
    Why don't you think I paid to register the product?
    and
    Is it any of your business anyway?
    Thanks
    The Answer to your First Question:

Someone brought this to my attention...don't ask me why they did but they did.. Here it is:

http://www.geocities.com/coolweb22000/jason.htm

It looks like you are Mr. jw462769

it looks like you said it your self. You didn't buy his product....? so the question is why are you pushing other developers to buy something you didn't buy for your self...? Weired.....
    You don't have to answer that, because I frankly don't care..

The answer to your other question:
    Who said it was my business?... like I said someone brought it to my attention so i though I’d share it with the rest of us here .. I hope you're not mad....

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

I don't make people use their real names in my forums so I just assumed jw462769 was a registered user. I had no idea who he was, until about 10 days ago when he told me in the thread you posted the link to. Someone went to a lot of trouble to mark up that post from my forums

jasonsplace taken, and given a lot of abuse here because he likes SWF Studio so I decided to make him a registered user as a way of saying "thanks" for sticking with (and supporting) SWF Studio even though there were cheaper (even free) alternatives out there that he could have used instead.

I'm sorry to ruin any emerging conspiracy theories... but the idea that jasonsplace has been "bought" (which is what everyone seems to be implying) is, for the record, false. He has been a fan of SWF Studio for a lot longer than the last couple of weeks and he had no idea I was going to give him a copy.

Even so, I don't see how jasonsplace having a free copy or a trial copy makes him any different from the people that use and promote free versions of products that they like. The more people they convince to use/buy a product, the more likely it is to survive.

Most Linux users fiercly defend it against ALL operating systems. Are they weird because they got a free operating system? Are your unregistered/trial users weird because they like your software?

The whole reason other companies offer free versions (for non-commercial use of course) is to generate buzz and fish for users that will become as loyal as jasonsplace! So who's really trying to buy users?

Hmmm... no need to attack me, Northcode. Flash Studio is FREE for personal use and costs less than SWF Studio to register. That's not trying to buy customers, that's a better product

Just good ribbing, Dude

[Edited by Gambini on 09-23-2002 at 10:04 PM]