A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: exporting a movie from 3d max

Hybrid View

Hi, Im just learning how to animate in 3d max, ive just done a simple animation and on a sphere, its 10 frames long, now i want to export that animation, i render it out and i see that max renders all 10 frames and stops on the last one, but i have no idea how to view my animation and then export it, all i can do is save the last image, i want to export the the whole sequence so i can pull it into swift 3d and then export as a flash file.

can some tell me how to view an animation in 3dmax and then export the animation with all textures intact. Thanks.

bva

note: read the tutorials, they cover this rather early on...

what you do is:
    • click on render.
      select the active segments, or range from your first frame to your last frame - in this example, 1 - 100.
      change your file type to either an *.avi, or any other type of animation file you see fit. not a single image though.
      save that file to your hard drive... somewhere easily findable in the future.
      then render. it will render the frames and compile to an *.avi for you.[/small]

to render to flash, you will need a plugin, like Swift3D MAX to render to Flash.

But since you're using MAX 4.x most likely, on the Web Resources CD, Vecta 1.2 should be included for free. Don't have that CD? Contact support@discreet.com directly. They will most likely ask you a few questions, so have your serial ready.

with a plugin, you can render out to *.swf as well as *.avi. Use the *.swf.

hope that helps

ok i did everything you said but when i go to play my *.avi file, it just displays the image on frame one, i press the play button and the time line of the windows media player zooms across straight away and the sphere doesnt even animate, i have 20 frames in this file so i should see something, but im not?

so... you're telling me that you've gone through the tutorials on animation, and you hit the animate button, created 20 frames of animation via the timeline, and then when you hit the play button in the lower right corner, an animation occurs.

and then you animated the active segment - look at that render dialog one more time, I'm rendering 100 frames, whereares you'd render on from 1 to 20 - and rendered that to a *.avi file, and you did not see the animation?

try to play the animation within 3ds max again. does it play? if not, you do not have an animation.

if it does... then we'll troubleshoot from there.

and I can not stress this enough. Read the manual, do the tutorials... this is a rather simple/normal process of animation and rendering, and it's rather straight forward.

well the help files wouldnt work so i never actually read them, i was just reading tuts off the net, i have now just accessed the help files through my windows explorer - i should have done that at the start. im now just gonna spend some doing the tuts and reading up the help guide, see if i can figure this out. if i cant ill get back to u. thanks for ur help.

b

help files don't work? contact discreet. you will need them.

support@discreet.com - have your serial number and CD Key #'s ready.