A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: mac problems

mac problems

I will start by saying I am very unfamiliar with this OS. I have created flash mx file that I wanto place on a cd as aprojector and have both platforms be able to autorun the file. I have not problems with windows - I am working on windows system. How can I make the hqx file run on a mac - the mac I tried did not run it.

Thx,

what OS is the mac ? 8.6,9.1, 10?
    Is it an imac? I've had massive problems with those cure litle IMacs.

How did you transfer your hqx from your pc to your mac?
    I can test on another mac for you if you want- let me know.

Mac projector

I think it is an imac - at least it is all in one unit. I really know nothing about them. I read up that you have to use stuffit or something like it to convert it - but I also read that if I format the swf from the mac rather than the pc it might work - I am going to try it. I am trying to do a business card cd for myself that if I give it to clients who have either system it will play. I don't really understand much about making a hybrid cd but I am sure with time I'll muddle through. What did you do?

well - you will need to burn the cd as a hybrid. Some software programs on the pc allow you do it- i always burnt on a mac. Toast allows you to make hybrid cds where you can share assets.

If you can export the swf on the mac- by all means do it. Save you a lot of headaches with missing resource forks and what not.

Mac Projector

I am working on a PC can I make the projector from there and then expand it and then burn it? Can you take a swf made on a pc and view and format it on a mac? I have access to a mac - so I could take my swf into the mac environment and than save into a mac projector file - save then send to the pc and burn?

Do you think this would work?

Sorry for the delayed response..

The problem between mac and pc files has to do with the resource forks. For example - if you have an fla you did on a pc and then transfer it to mac - the mac does not recognize it. The mac requires you to open flash- and then open the fla by selecting open all files.
    It's because one of the resource forks has been lost.

Here is a great tutorial for burning hybrids:
    http://www.setpixel.com/content/?ID=101

Making the swf on the mac and then transferring to the pc should not be a problem. It's when you make the mac exe from the pc that you might have a problem the odd time.

I would make your pc exe on your pc. Make your mac on a mac - and then burn from either one. Try that since you do have access to both platforms. Having said that- making a mac projector from the PC does normally work - but since you are coming across some problems...

I think what you suggested would work - give it a go!

Mac and PC Fla

There is a small freeware called "Flash Typer 2.0" which deals easily with conversion problem from a PC Fla to Mac Fla.

All you have to do is drag the PC Fla unto the software icon and the Fla becomes a Mac Fla with the proper Mac Flash icon. Double click the new Fla and Mac Flash player recognizes it immediately.
    You can get it at http://www.hillberg.nu/flash

sp

Thanks for the info. I burned a hybrid cd with MacImage and took it over to my friends mac but it refuses to recognize the file and will not open it! AHHHHH! I do not have access to a burner on her mac so I am still stuck with my original problem. I just want to offer the cd to be cross platform compatible. I thought I did everything correctly - remember when you offered to check it out for me on another mac - how could I send that to you if the offer still stands?

send me the hqx - i can test it on about four different macs. (G4, g3, iBook, Imac)

what software program are you using to burn? I might be able to make the layout for you with the settings - and we can see if that works as well!!

let me know and we can send it through email!

appreciate the help

I would love to send you the hqx file but I will require your email to do so.

I processed the file using MacImage and then burned it with my pc using NTI CD Maker2000 plus. Could it just be that particular Mac? It is operating on OS9 I believe.