A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to minimize the file size ?

How to minimize the file size ?

Hello everyone !
    I make animations in flash wihtout sounds.
    I want to know how can i minimize the file size of my animations, what r the factores that increase the file size i.e more use of symbols, or more use of movie clips, or groups, which coloures to be used, use of lines ?, gradients...
    I simply don't wannu refer any book, please give me online support.I"ll b greatful to you.
    Respect
    Inder

If you're importing image files such as JPG's then make sure sure to optimize them as much as possible. The trace bitmap option will also make file sizes quite large.

Other than that, you can pretty much go wild in Flash and have a small file size (especially if there is no sound). If you really want to be efficient with the file size then reuse any regular occuring images by making them as symbols.

if u want to take it even further try using actionscript instead of tweening...
    e.g if you want your character to walk across the screen... instead of having a tween between point a and point b have actionscript do it all for you... setup a loop and just have characterX = characterX + 1 etc...

um what else... use the pen tool instead of the paintbrush tool.... have a little edges as possible...

apart from the fk footers i've never had to do anything with file size except to do with sound...
    what are you trying to do? and how small does it have to be?

catch a bullet to yo chest and dome beyotch.

Have yout tried optimaze!? (it works trust me)
    http://www.erain.com/

Have you tried lowering the colors if and when you trace bitmap?

Have you treid streamline?

Have you tried to create your ALL your content in flash rather than
    illustrator or some other vector crap?

Have you tried to optimiize curves in flash its self?

Have you tried drawing with the line tool only?

bone it like you own it.
    -Towknee
    NBD:Towknee

No dont use action script

NEVER use any forms of dynamic assistance when doing any type of character type animation. It's fine for motion graphics and simple projects that are not really works of animation but rather part of a web design or interface but not for character stuff such as cartoons etc.

If animation is the name of the game, the best thing you can do to limit the file size is to remove every single unnessesary point from all graphics used in the file. For example by default flash draws a circle using something like 8 points, if you actually select the shape with the with arrow, start removing points and using the little handles to mold the shape back into a circle you can actually reduce the circle down to 2 points which makes it at least 2/3 smaller in file size.

Action script stuff in Flash MX may also seem like a good idea specially since action script can be further compressed by Flash, but the fact is that these will just make your CPU work harder uncompressing and decoding the script AND vector data. Not only that but its a pain in the ass trying to transfer action scripted or movie clip based animation to video should you ever have the need to graduate from the web and onto the TV screen.
    Ibis Fernandez
    Professional Animator
    Cinestar Filmworks • Houston, TX
    Author of Macromedia Flash Animation and Cartooning: A Creative Guide
    Technical Editor of Flash 5 Cartooning
    Publisher of The Flash Filmmaker Website

yeah but if needed you can use actionscript... it does really help..
    just look at how much we used to be able to cram into our footers, and i know that everyone used actionscript for animation back then otherwise u'd never get it under 15k.... its always last resort if u need that extra 3k

of course if your doing a proper animation you shouldnt really care about graphic filesize anyway... its never big enough to care unless its like 1hr long... 10mins in pure graphics is about 1mb... unless your using super duper detail... then dont worry about the size... quality first

oh yeah absolutely, if all it is is just something like a little forum signature, a website header, perhaps a little logo thingie thats gonna go in the corner of your website then absolutely go wild with the action script.
    Ibis Fernandez
    Professional Animator
    Cinestar Filmworks • Houston, TX
    Author of Macromedia Flash Animation and Cartooning: A Creative Guide
    Technical Editor of Flash 5 Cartooning
    Publisher of The Flash Filmmaker Website