A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Shadow concepts and right tool ?

Shadow concepts and right tool ?

Hi !
    I m quite confused about giving shadowes to my characters and objects i.e which coloures to use,which part to be shadowed.
    Also i wanto know the right way to draw a cartoon character in flash, whether to do it with pencil tool or with pen tool.I have analysed the work of others (from different sites) they are not drawn with the line tool-what is that ?
    Support me.
    thnx
    inder

Wow, you do need alot of help!

Something I forgot to add in the other topic you made about files sizes is that the line tool is much more efficient than the paintbrush is for doing the outlines.

The best way to put your drawings into flash is scan them in, import the file as a JPG and trace over it (IMPORTANT : after you trace over it remember to go in to the library and trash the image file you imported). It's hard to explain but here's the best tutorial ever on putting your lineart into flash : Click Here

For colouring in Flash you're best going for cell shading. Since the process is too difficult to describe in words what to do, here is a link to a tutorial I made many years ago.

Hope that helps. Whatever you're doing, make sure to come back and show it off okay

Cel Shading, difficult?

Not at all. Just fill in the shape with a basic color. Open up the color mixer and increase the luminosity level of the color to create a highligh or decrease it to create a shadow. Typically a character would only need to be painted with two or three shades to look good.

Also consider using colored outlines rather than just plain black, they make the artwork look a lot cleaner.

If youre looking for a good set of colors to work with try this pallate I made based on the original Chromacolour series 100 which is pretty much the stardard paint system used in animation. PS this particular version is optimized for NTSC production.

http://www.flashfilmmaker.com/goodie...ntsc/index.htm
    Ibis Fernandez
    Professional Animator
    Cinestar Filmworks • Houston, TX
    Author of Macromedia Flash Animation and Cartooning: A Creative Guide
    Technical Editor of Flash 5 Cartooning
    Publisher of The Flash Filmmaker Website

use the pencil to outline, then tweak the lines with the black arrow. first off, import a .jpg, and lock it down on the layer below. Then trace over it. I use a color different from the original line art because it shows better. after you've outlined, you can hide the layer with the .jpg on it. Now, just click on the lines (or select how many you want) and change the pencil ink color to whatever you want the outline to be. Then use the paintbrush and fill tools to color them in. Good luck!