A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Ever met a TRULY profitable Net scamster?

Harry Tuttle phantomflanflinger's Avatar

Ever met a TRULY profitable Net scamster?

I often hear from clients that they heard their friend heard that some guy somewhere ripped off a load of people with a Net-related scam and that this guy's now driving round in a Plutonium-plated Porsche.

You read the same thing in the papers sometimes; the paper press ALWAYS simplifies IT-related stories to the point of untruth, of course. And, I'm always getting Spam from Nigeria, where they desperately need my bank account details.... but...

But, I've always found that none of these Net scam artists have got any REAL money. They're always up to their arse in debt, on the run from clients/cops/me and living in someone's loft "until they get their business sorted".

So, does anyone know of a scamster who has genuinely made serious cash out of a Net scam? As opposed to a scamster who pretends to have serious cash or is reputed to have serious cash?
    We're all in it together

uh, where have you been past 5 years?

haha, all the DOTCOM companies that went do-do..

check www.****edcompanies.com

I said, has anyone MET or SEEN a successful scamster? In REAL LIFE.

Yes, the dotcoms went bust, but did have you physically seen anyone with the cash from the chaos? I haven't. If there was any real cash, where did it go? Look at boo.com, there was only debt at the end.

Yes, you hear about it. But do you ever see these 'rich' scamsters. No - you see them as I described above. On the run, broke etc..
    We're all in it together

Originally posted by phantomflanflinger
    I said, has anyone MET or SEEN a successful scamster? In REAL LIFE.

Yes, the dotcoms went bust, but did have you physically seen anyone with the cash from the chaos? I haven't. If there was any real cash, where did it go? Look at boo.com, there was only debt at the end.

Yes, you hear about it. But do you ever see these 'rich' scamsters. No - you see them as I described above. On the run, broke etc..
    You never said 'MET' or 'SEEN', you simply asked if anyone 'KNEW'.

On the personal side, yes, I know of some scamsters who got rich.
    Hm, if I remember correctly, he amassed about 3-4 million US of investments, and blew it all. How? I dunno, but he certainly didnt pay his employees a lot. From what I hear [one of my relatives was an investor] he was still bling blinging in a foreign car [symbol of wealth] in Korea.

OK what I meant was, does anyone have geniune, reliable knowledge of a successful Net rip off artist, who's still got the cash and owes no-one anything? Someone who REALLY got away with it?

He blew it all, eh? But did he blow it all, or owe it all? Did he 'borrow' lots of money temporarily but have to give it back to the rightful owners? And how much does he owe on the car?

There are millions of scams, but Net scams seem to make only temporary or 'virtual' money, if that. Yet you hear about so many, many Net scams.

These days no-one will even invest in the first place. As Donald Trump said, it's better to invest in something that exists. Like property. It worked for him.
    We're all in it together