A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people use Macs instead of PCs?

is my car plate number.

Pioneer and Inventor,... who's right??????

Monopolism, that's the right word. I agree with you, SJT... but like what you said, Microsoft is already a dominant in the market.

I see there's no point biting each other up in the management level, as long as the user is happy with their computer.

You musn't forget that Microsoft sales and popularity increased over its release of Win2k and Win XP which, they defined it as a main weapon against OS X. In fact, new security and stability has been added.

Win2k popularise Active Directory, and win over the Novell who has long time implement the similar system. Later OS X came out with Open Directory and Kerberos system, which posses the same feature like Windows version...

It doesn't matter who create it, but it does matter who can improve it. Remember, a pioneer is not always an inventor, but inventor mostly cannot be pioneer. Who cares about trademark anymore? Windows and Mac OS is like US and Japan. Can we say Japan is a tyrant? or a copy cat?

The endless struggle cause only suffers to developer like us. All we just hope is a standardised format the work in all platform...
    no more 'SWF works on PC, but not on Mac' problem...

Right?

Right.

However, just because MS is a large company, doesn't mean they should be allowed to make the standards they choose, and stifle the standards they don't like.

An example; the ICC (International Colour Consortium) attempted to make colour matching and profiling between computers and attached devices standardised, so they created a standard colour space. They then stipulated that the developers of the OSes should be the ones to include the colour mapping support, not application level developers. This way proper matching could be achieved across computers and applications ensuring accurate colour for print, screen and so on.
    Apple (probably among others, I don't know) built ColorSync; their method for ensuring that any application could use the correct gamut for work.
    Microsoft refused, and left the burden of colour matching with their application developers.

They can get away with this because they are the dominant market share; that doesn't mean we should just accept it.

As for security in Win2K et al? you're joking...just because MS has been awarded their little security certificate (it just means they can sell to the US Gov.), doesn't mean it's secure:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/27874.html
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/27393.html
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/25716.html
    Sam

is my car plate number.

Evil Empire Strikes Back

heya SJT

hmmm........ I believe you're more a tech person than designer...

I agree with you on the ICC. That's why i preferred working on Mac for designing printing material...............

Microsoft is a tyrant, no body do not realise that......... even I am terribily pissed off with their strategy and products, I left training their products few years ago.

Is there any other competitor coming up close to Microsoft? No, nobody.......... Novell Netware claimed to be so superior, but indeed you may find they contain more bugs than Win2k...
    Microsoft laid their business foundation well; designing products that all type of professional can work systematically if you're following their rules. You can't find that in Unix system, nor Linux, nor Novell... ? Things in Unix are so messed up, where you only know how to use it well after years of bump and run....... do you call the 'bump and run' procedures a standard?

About the standard issue, there is no standard before Microsoft made it so. Who really popularise the terms Directory service? ActiveX? Even Microsoft Java?
    Apple can't sue Microsft for ActiveX,... Sun cant' sue Microsoft for Java. Even now Microsoft said they refuse to support Java (unless you manually download JVM urself) and promote their .NET language series,... true it is unfair, because Microsoft is unethical... but they are right from the eye of the law...

Microsoft products have all the neccessary requirement that ordinary parties need. In my country, and many other country, people choose Mcirosoft product because of their easy-to-use concepts. Why not Linux, or Unix? Even Mac is trying to push its server OS, with all distributed computing environment features... you might not know that Mac walking the same path like Microsoft did.

Besides, there are more hardware developers in PC than Mac. World most powerful graphic cards runs on Intel-based platform I suppose. Many software in Mac available in PC, but very less PC software available in Mac.

If people want to blame, don't jsut blame Microsoft's monopolism, blame all developers and buyers for not fighting against the evil empire.......

Only thing we can do now is to educate ppl around us, and it's up to them to choose which path they shall go.

No hard feeling anyway,.........

Andre

Dense Dense Revolution
    Besides, there are more hardware developers in PC than Mac. World most powerful graphic cards runs on Intel-based platform I suppose. Many software in Mac available in PC, but very less PC software available in Mac.
    I guess that is because that is where the market is. Windows owns 90% of the market and its only logical that they favor that market more than the Mac market.Companies in general care more for $$$ than trying to fight the status quo (especially if they profit from it). I can accept that as long as the Mac is supported by the major software and hardware companies.

What erks me though is why hardware/software companies charge more for the Mac version! For example, Nvida and ATI charge more for Mac versions of the SAME graphic cards that is available for the PC! Crazy .

On top of that we get second class treatment in even major companies like Macromedia! Common, give us a better version of the Flash player! And why is Coldfusion not available for OSX?!!!
    "I never let schooling interfere
    with my education." -Mark Twain

is my car plate number.

your name

Adryanv,

http://Common, give us a better vers...le for OSX?!!!

That's it, Microsoft sux, but we still obey them... for the sake of $$$.........

By the way, How did you get the 'Tokyo Cab Driver' nick name? Can I get 1 too?

[I][B]Microsoft is an evil empire, but we are neither the stormtroopers or rebels...... We are the bounty hunters.........

Dense Dense Revolution
    wr1667,

You can get your custom title in usercp>Edit user profile. Its down the page you can't miss it

Secret Agent
    PC is always made synonomous with Microsoft, IBM, basically everything not Mac/apple.
    PC is short for Personal Computer at home we use Personal Computer at work or when we work we use a BC -- Business Computer!?!
    Just a random thought and a stupid excuse for a post.

is my car plate number.

PC?

Originally posted by paradox244
    PC is always made synonomous with Microsoft, IBM, basically everything not Mac/apple.
    PC is short for Personal Computer at home we use Personal Computer at work or when we work we use a BC -- Business Computer!?!
    Just a random thought and a stupid excuse for a post.
    It could mean Paradoxx Computing too!... 1 more post... hehehee
    CD-R : The solution for the broke...

No posting just to push your post count up please.

wr1667, you're falling into the very trap MS wants you to fall into; "they own everything so we might as well just support them".

As far as I'm concerned, MS stifles innovation in a lot of ways; I don't like that. What can I do about it?
    I don't use MS products unless I really have to. Simple.
    The more people who realise what they've been doing all these years and turn against them the better.
    More power to Linux, Mac etc. any platfrom that takes away from MS.

And no, I'm a designer and a programmer.
    Sam

my new p4 2.8 kicks butt. It is awesome to work on. Flash framerate is high and that is my main concern. I say the less os effects the better. As long as my apps are cruzin.

What's your point?
    Sam

my point is if you just use mac and like flash you don't know what your missing.

So I should buy a PC just because Macromedia can't make the Mac plugin better?

Hmm, I think I'd rather have a stable, reasonably secure OS and set my framerates to 21, 31 etc. to fix the problem...
    Sam

haha, you think your seeing framerates of 21-31 on your mac. You are lucky to see 15. I usually like my framerate between 30-45 and most pc's can push it. My older celron 466 pushes framerates better than a g4. Being a designer..yes framerate is important. And the os usally craps out when you don't have enough ram. It's how your programs run, naming conventions and playback that important to me. In the end viewing something and enjoying the experience is key. There is too much talk about os here. If you want to stare at it all day and roll over the icons have a blast. haha jk..peace..

This is a known bug in the Flash player, nothing to do with the Mac OS or the G4 processor.

The fix? Set your frame rate to a multiple of 10 plus 1.

So, if I want 20 fps, I set my framerate to 21fps etc.

Infact, if I set the framerate to 61fps I'll get 60fps on a Mac and something like 58fps on a PC...
    Sam

Dense Dense Revolution
    Guys relax

If egush13 simply prefers to work with Flash on the PC than no problem with that. I guess it all boils down to personal preference on which platform you wish.

Yes Microsoft does have a monopoly and possibly use shady practices but what can we do about it in the grassroots level? I'm a web designer and frankly I have to work with applications and software such as ASP, Coldfusion, .Net etc which only works with Windows. A lot of the customers I work for depend on these technologies.

Sad to say but it makes little difference whether you buy their (MS) products or not. They already have a tight grip and a captive market. Ultimately they are just a company that acts like any other - to profit and push their own interests (and of course if unchecked abuse their advantages). Apple and any other company acts the same way but do not have as much leverage as Microsoft. Remember MS used to be a smaller company, even smaller than Apple (MS Office came first for Apple computers) - Microsoft simply played its cards better than the others.

But the computer industry is a freckle mistress. You could be the lord of all today but are you sure you'll always be king? Look at IBM; they use to be king of the computer world now its Intel and Microsoft. I won’t be surprised to see a new standard coming in the next few years (Linux?)

But I digress...let’s not talk about the companies but debate on the product itself.

So...why does Wintel suck so much?
    Last edited by Adryanv; 11-20-2002 at 10:48 PM.

Timetravelling Superhero AJ Infinity's Avatar
    Wintel never worked for me, that's why I switched. Another reason is because I could do things on the Mac that I couldn't do on the PC. Windows is overly cumbesome. Example, I have to perform more than 5 mouse clicks to perform a particular operation on Windows that takes only 1 or 2 mouse clicks on a Mac. All you Mac/Linux ignorant PC users need to head on over to http://MacvsPC.info/ This site eliminates ALL Macs VS PCs arguments.

And Macs and Mac OS X itself look better then biege boxy PC's. Each Mac is also unique: PCs are very much all alike. Go to www.apple.com/hardware and www.apple.com/macosx and see for yourself.

Apple's Mac OS X/Unix based rackmount server called the Xserve outperforms more expensive SGI, Sun, and IBM servers.

Dual 1.25 Ghz PowerMac G4's run 90% faster than the fastest Intel based PC on the market. It runs at a whopping 18.2 billion calculations per second. Plus Macs have high res screens and better grafx than PCs. And the 1 Ghz PowerBook G4 perfoming at 7.5 billions calculations per second has a wide high res screen and mind blowing 3D and video power. Plus it allows you to burn DVDs on the road with apps like the easy-to-use iDVD or the powerful (and expensive) apps DVD Studio Pro or DVD Fusion. DVD Studio Pro even allows you to burn DVDs via the DLT drives used to burn DVDs of feature films. Linux users love the PowerBook because they can run UNIX on the road. Can't beat what I just said.

If you didn't have Macs, you'd be missing most of your favorite TV shows, movies, commercials, magazines, newspapers, music, publications and many other things. Macs are used to do most of the things you see daily. And I'm very sure Microsoft's Winimp XP ads were done with one of that really expensive software from Apple that Spielberg uses at Dreamworks. The software called Shake.
    Last edited by AJ Infinity; 11-20-2002 at 11:16 PM.
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

Timetravelling Superhero AJ Infinity's Avatar
    egush13, even though the initial price of Macs may be steep, consider these facts:

1. You will be able to run operating systems like Red Hat Linux, Windows 2000, and Mac OS X simultaneously
    2. You won't experience any problems. Macs are super smart and Mac OS X has and advance memory management system.
    3. You really won't have to upgrade anything

According to Microsoft, Office on the Mac is better than Office on the PC. You should be a smart homo saipien. Run of to the Savannah College of Art and Design, relearn Flash, Illustrator, and Photoshop, and become a Mac user, a real designer.
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

Dense Dense Revolution
    For the more technically inclined I humbly suggest a good site and board for those PC vs Linux vs Mac people.

Arstechnica

Its one of the best cross platform tech sites out there. Check out their boards.They have Windows, Mac and Linux boards. And if you are in a debating mood you can lay your smack down in the Battlefront (its a bit bloody there though). The posters are very technically knowlagable people, I learn a lot just by lurking here.

AJ Infinity -
    I am a mac user and went to college and learned on macs. O yeah the Quadra and Photoshop 2.5.. I continued to work on macs after college for many years. I have 4 macs to my 2 pc's. For the last 5 years of my life I've been using pc's in the workplace. And when I got into flash a few years ago I saw the big difference on the pc. It comes down to whats most efficient for the job. And for video editing yeah prob the mac. But for file renaming and flash..its all pc.. O yeah and relearn on the mac to become a better designer..please.. a toggle point is a toggle point no matter what platform your on.