A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why do people use Macs instead of PCs?

Originally posted by AJ Infinity
    SJT, the Xserve renderfarm would win.
    So what?
    If you are running Maya on a Mac cluster and on a P4 cluster, guess who would win?

It all depends on what you are doing. Sometimes a Mac maybe faster, sometimes a PC. As of now, mostly the PC is faster. Sad but true.

But most people don't need the speed anyway. It all depends on what you are doing. And I know Mac users who think the G4 cases are plain ugly (I don't know why, though). So this also comes down to preferences.

Designer/Developer
    I didn't know what a solid computer acted like untill I got a mac. The blue screen of death more than cut my productivity in half. When I got my mac I had a HUGE increase in productivity.

If you're a mac user and you're sick of the slow flashplayer performance, go sign the petition.
    Brian Foss
    foss@2080split.com
    www.2080split.com

Timetravelling Superhero AJ Infinity's Avatar
    Originally posted by dodgetigger
    And I know Mac users who think the G4 cases are plain ugly (I don't know why, though). So this also comes down to preferences.
    G4's ugly!?? Who thinks G4's are ugly? I dunno anyone who does. Anyway, Macs are cool, and so is vegetarianism .
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

2HT
    i use both a powerbook for dv editing through final cut and aftereffects....and i still find though that flash apps work much smoother on pc simply b/c ie is built for the pc machine.

exclusive member ( V I P ) tiGRAN=-2001's Avatar
    Originally posted by JCess2002
    running a screensaver as a background, itunes, rendering in Cinema 4d, photoshop, AOL, and this window all at the same time...and nothing is gonna lock up....thats why i use mac! plus anything to get away from bill and his evil henchmen.
    What kind of a mac is that?? we have macs at school, I dont know what kind, but they have colors and monitor is attached. and the speakers are in front below monitor..anyways we are using Cinema 4d and some things dont even render!! it says not enough memory, I jus HATE that!!

Originally posted by tiGRAN=-2001
    What kind of a mac is that?? we have macs at school, I dont know what kind, but they have colors and monitor is attached. and the speakers are in front below monitor..anyways we are using Cinema 4d and some things dont even render!! it says not enough memory, I jus HATE that!!
    The difference is that he is using Mac OS X with preemptive Multitasking and the Macs in your school are running with the older OS 9.

I am myself a Mac user, but what I think is funny is that at the time Macs had cooperative Multitasking (Mac OS < X) Mac people always said "I don't need that!" and now they say they use a Mac because they can do that...

Because

They don't crash they work, they are simple, and you don't lose your work.

~ Rainbowfly
    Rainbowfly.net

viruses

I'm amazed that nobody here has mentioned issues such as viruses. That is an issue that mac users hardly ever deal with (I've never had an issue since I started using macs in '94).
    I find it hilarious when I'm freelancing somewhere and visit a place that is all P.C.'s and there's a few computers that can't be used because they're plagued with viruses, then the tech guy is installing the latest antivirus software in the others, while another one is trying to find online the name of the latest virus that crippled the office.
    I laugh when I get (when using my mac) one of those emails that a virus sends automatically after harvesting all of the email addresses in the victim's addressbook. You know what I'm talking about, the ones that come from some poor PC user you know, but with a weird attachment and a subject like: "this is my new game" or something similar.

Although I find it annoying when I can't exchange emails with a client or a friend because their Pee Cee is acting up. This happens VERY often.

Yeah. I don't think about viruses much myself. I never have to worry about them .
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

I agree

I completely forgot about that duh.

I crack up when I get those e-mails that you know will do something in a pc but have no clue what to do on a mac. Or when you can see things that people trying to hack pc's don't take into consideration people on macs (like the codes come up that pc users can't see) that one was a hoot. Or when ..as you said....everyone is down because someone in the office just had to see what that attachment from that person they didn't know was all about, and the office is down, and I'm working.

I love it.
    ~ Rainbowfly
    Rainbowfly.net

Don't be too cocky about it though; now we're moving into Unix with Macs, the security though still tight, has a larger possiblity for exploit.
    Last edited by SJT; 01-05-2003 at 09:44 AM.
    Sam

On the other side, you only get that virus on your PC if you are stupid enough to click on that.

There are some older versions of Outlook that opened attachments themselves, but even Microsoft learned from the past.

Difference between Mac and PC:
    A stupid PC user who opens the attachement is infected.
    A stupid Mac user cannot open the file and just goes on.

some time back, in OS vulnerability statistics, Windows scored the most hackable and virus-infectable operatings system.
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

Originally posted by dodgetigger
    The difference is that he is using Mac OS X with preemptive Multitasking and the Macs in your school are running with the older OS 9.

I am myself a Mac user, but what I think is funny is that at the time Macs had cooperative Multitasking (Mac OS < X) Mac people always said "I don't need that!" and now they say they use a Mac because they can do that...
    Preemptive multitasking is new to Mac users. It's only in OS X. (I pronounce it ex and not 10; Mac OS 10 sounds funny and Mac OS EX sounds better)
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

Originally posted by AJ Infinity
    Preemptive multitasking is new to Mac users.
    Yes, and cooperative multitasking is what we had before.

yeah, and we don't need it anymore, so we don't talk about it. I've never heard of cooperative multitasking.
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

this question doesn't really need an answer.. get a mac and feel the difference.

yeah the slow difference

Originally posted by egush13
    yeah the slow difference
    If Macs were slow, you wouldn't have your favorite TV shows, movies, songs, etc. Macs aren't slow. Doing hardcore work in Photoshop while listening to MP3s and rendering a Maya scene on a PC will most likely crash it. Doing it on a Mac won't. Face it, Macs are better than PCs. Read the MANY switch stories on www.apple.com/switch
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

Originally posted by ninudesi
    i use both a powerbook for dv editing through final cut and aftereffects....and i still find though that flash apps work much smoother on pc simply b/c ie is built for the pc machine.
    Alot of Mac users use Shockwave Director over Flash. It's a whole lots better (although it's $1,000+)
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y