A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Why do people use Macs instead of PCs?

Guess What
    a: I do not think this "yoyo" knows what he is talking about or he know any thing.

b: With out Mac there would have been no PC today, dudes like U must thank bill gates who stole form Apple. and provided THE (pi cee) user a chance to learn computing based on a stolen, cheat among many other factor property..
    c: Then experience the Power of MAC classic and then OS X.
    d: All your excellent supports are under one umbrella,
    e: I have problems with windows-sucks - Toshiba supports me but some cases, they directed to microsoft(hard) they send me back to Toshiba. >>>> con you tell who supports you on a $3500 notebook plus taxes? every driver you need you must go to ATI, nvidia, ..............do you what me to list all of them??? let know ||| Thats all for now ! !
    you've asked for it don't be pissed

both Windows and Mac OS stink

I just have to put my view in here. From what I've seen on my friends MAC and me working on it, flash seems to run like crap on a mac. Honestly I'm not sure how old this friends MAC is, nor do I know exactly how well flash performs on it. I'd like to try out a good MAC and see, but I can't really afford that. I'd rather just build my own PC for a minimal price and throw Windows on it for 1000 to 1500 bucks total, and everything runs decent on it. On the the other hand, Windows does suck. So I'm going to have to gear myself toward linux. I've been using it a lot recently and I just seem to like the way linux runs a lot better. So I'm thinking about purchasing crossover office and making flash mx, fireworks mx, and photoshop all run in that and see how that goes. From what I've seen and heard, it shall be great! I'll keep everyone posted on this when I get it .

Originally posted by dingoflash
    a: I do not think this "yoyo" knows what he is talking about or he know any thing.

b: With out Mac there would have been no PC today, dudes like U must thank bill gates who stole form Apple. and provided THE (pi cee) user a chance to learn computing based on a stolen, cheat among many other factor property..
    Say what?

"The GUI had its roots in the 1950s but was not developed until the 1970s when a group at the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) developed the Alto, a GUI-based computer. The Alto was the size of a large desk, and Xerox believed it unmarketable. Jobs took a tour of PARC in 1979, and saw the future of personal computing in the Alto. Although much of the Interface of both the Lisa and the Mac was based (at least intellectually) heavily on the work done at PARC, and many of the engineers there later left to join Apple, much of the Mac OS was written before Job's visit to PARC. When Jobs accused Bill Gates of Microsoft of stealing the GUI from Apple and using it in Windows 1.0, Gates fired back:

No, Steve, I think its more like we both have a rich neighbor named Xerox, and you broke in to steal the TV set, and you found out I'd been there first, and you said. "Hey that's no fair! I wanted to steal the TV set!

The fact that both Apple and Microsoft had gotten the idea of the GUI from Xerox put a major dent in Apple's lawsuit against Microsoft over the GUI several years later. Although much of The Mac OS is original, it was similar enough to the old Alto GUI to make a "look and feel" suit against Microsoft dubious."

http://www.apple-history.com/frames/...lery&model=gui

Cool Person
    mmm all i have to say... Is when i get myself a G5... watch out everybody! I'ma be zoomin by.

But no... You have your die hard MAC fans...
    And then you have your PC users... MAC = good for... Well the previously things said... PC = good for games...

Which is why I own PC and MAC... I would die if one of them were to end up missing.

I'm a PC and Mac user.....I just got a new PBG4 two weeks ago (my other one still works but I dropped it and the case cracked)...I just looooove this Laptop...it kicks the butt off my PC 3Gz Pentium4 with Nvidia card....on all counts, hands down, and the screen quality is second to none.

Learning a new OS with the OSX is not that difficult (if at all) it was when OS 9 was the standard, but since right hand mouse clicking was introduced with OSX, going from one to the other is hardly noticeable.

There's a few little niggly things like copy paste functions from the properties panel of programs like Dreamweaver and Photoshop colour palettes, but after you curse them theyre ok..

Tony

I have both a pc and a mac. I prefer the pc because of the wide array of programs it has over the mac. But, I use the mac for all my site development, graphic design, etc. because I only have mac software. Usually, I can't ever find the software I need for my mac. I personally have not had very good luck with my iBook, programs crash a lot more on OSX than on XP. Just my opinion though.

I think the reason why folks choose macs is largely aesthetic. I have a mac and a pc. I use the pc mostly and whenever I start up the pc I think "welcome to the world of the truely tasteless".

They both run fine and work almost equally as well for many tasks that I use them for.

Anotyher thing to consider is the tradition that folks in graphic design, video and sound production especially seem to prefer mac over pc perhaps because of the aesthetic experience. These folks tend to care about such things.

because the good guys use macs in the movies...
    Freebies:
    Sound Loops | Sound Effects | Images | Code Pigs | 6ood coff33

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

amd 64 fx53 owns mac LOL http://amd.com so dont was time with mac, mac is just for looks

Linux Rocks :D

I've been using Linux a lot and it is the bomb! Yea, a lot of the programs from WinXP don't work all that great, but a lot of them do at the same time. I've added some attachments so you can see what my desktop looks like with some of the software. I think I'd prefer using "The Gimp" over "Photoshop", just because it runs better in Linux and is pretty much the same thing.....with maybe a few difference.....mainly the interface, heh. Flash MX and Dreamweaver MX seem to work great with Crossover Office as well as Office XP and Office 2000. Internet Explorer seems to work ok as well ! The only thing that really sucks is Fireworks MX, but the gimp can do enough for me ! Anyway, here are the screen shots, hope you like them!

Re: both Windows and Mac OS stink

Originally posted by headlessb
    I just have to put my view in here. From what I've seen on my friends MAC and me working on it, flash seems to run like crap on a mac. Honestly I'm not sure how old this friends MAC is, nor do I know exactly how well flash performs on it. I'd like to try out a good MAC and see, but I can't really afford that. I'd rather just build my own PC for a minimal price and throw Windows on it for 1000 to 1500 bucks total, and everything runs decent on it. On the the other hand, Windows does suck. So I'm going to have to gear myself toward linux. I've been using it a lot recently and I just seem to like the way linux runs a lot better. So I'm thinking about purchasing crossover office and making flash mx, fireworks mx, and photoshop all run in that and see how that goes. From what I've seen and heard, it shall be great! I'll keep everyone posted on this when I get it .
    Flash _does_ run like crap on a Mac, but that's all macromedia's fault. They gave the Windows version a speed boost, and we've been lagging since version 4 of the Flash Player. Flash Player 8 will resolve the speed differences, though, and make everyone a lot faster.

You could install Linux on a Mac computer - even the actual inventor of Linux uses a Mac computer (G5). I'd recommend you get a Mac Mini. They're fast enough to play most 3D games nowadays (Command & Conquer at the very least), and are _very_ cheap. About £300.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

My gawd there is a lot of uneducated non-date related comments here. I'll make no speculations here, I've been around since the dark ages and lived through all the growth.

There are many reasons why one might choose one OS over another, but in my experience, most mac users are just lazy.

"From my cold dead hands." Thats what I used to say about my Mac. They really were the dominant, by far, platform until Win2k came out. Apple took the much needed plunge into brand new OS development and thay cannot be faulted for that. BUT, knowing it'd be a while before the dust settled, I trying doing more and more things on the glorified game console I called my PC.

The key is not be a stubborn little mule about the OS you've put so much time into. It's like defending a bad movie just because you payed full price to see it, which my oldest brother still does. Think about it, how much of time was really spent learning as opposed to just working? I work with some fairly seasoned mac heads and they couldnt configure their network if their jobs depended on it. Is that because it's too hard? No, they just never bothered to learn. That's not OS dependant, just lack of determination.

I'm not saying you should have to learn this stuff, but at a certain point, you'll grow to perfer access to the details. It's just a natural side effect of being a power user in todays computing.

You mac guys like how fast safari is now? It's been that fast on a PC for years. My partner uses a brand new water cooled G5 and he can barely scrub through a timelin in flash let alone render it in under a minute, where as the same file on my Dell (with one crash to its name and that was because I cancelled an after effects render) is a breeze and renders in seconds. If you're a glutton for punishment, by all means keep crashing illustrator once a day, otherwise, get a PC, put XP, windows spyware and mcafee antivirus on it and get some real work done.

I'll be the first to switch back when apple catches up, believe you me.

I really do enjoy an eloquently put debate over the pros and cons of each persons platform choice.
    I just wish there was one here.

Seriously now, I think we've seen and heard enough of, basically, the same arguments put back and forth about which is better etc. etc.
    I can already picture the proposed response to the previous post materialising.

If you're really interested in this, feel free to browse the millions of flame wars currently in action around the internet on this very topic.

However, if you'd rather open some useful discussion about using Flash and Macintosh computers, then feel free to post something to that end in this forum.

Thread Closed.
    Sam