A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: High-res images in Flash by Zoomify

High-res images in Flash by Zoomify

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know about our new technology for Flash Player 6. We developed an encoding tool a while ago to let people display high-res images on the Web. Basically, doesn't deliver all the data at once, but only as needed. Sort of "image-streaming". Viewers in the past included ActiveX, Java, and QuickTime - but we're fired up about our Flash Player 6 viewer!

Anyway, enough talk - check this out:

www.zoomify.com/flash/ - if you have DSL/Cable or faster click on the "Full screen" demo. The SWF, btw, is only ~10k.

Also, we've built a full-fledged annotation system on top of this for UC Davis - uses XML based output, built entirely in Flash, and easily extensible:

www.zoomify.com/enterprise/zas/

If you're curious - that's a 1.2 gigabyte tissue slide scan.

Also, you can download a portable sample featuring Area 51. It's about 10k (small enough to email, but does require an internet connection to work). Just right-click "save target as" to get the SWF.

Any feedback, comments, suggestions, etc., would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex
    Zoomify, Inc. - www.zoomify.com

Maya * ActionScript Addict DangerAhead's Avatar

Zoomify

Your "technology" is pretty basic flash. It seems to me any decent actionScripter can do what your technology does. But that's just how it "seems."

You also only have 1 posting here, Alex. Is this your first visit to flashkit before?

here's some links to some .FLAs(just a few) that do what your technology does.

http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Inter...s-12/index.php

http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Inter..._-53/index.php

http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Effec...1799/index.php

http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Effec...3753/index.php

I don't mean to slam you. I just think this idea is fairly basic in terms of actionscripting. I do like the editing interface. you might have something there.

Hi DangerAhead - thanks for the response, I appreciate your feedback. And yes, this is my first visit under my real name - I have visited the boards for a while, but haven't posted. Our company is just launching our Flash 6 viewer - until now we've focused on our QuickTime component, Java, etc. So, we are somewhat new to the Flash community.

The difference between the links you've posted and our technology is that we specialize in very large raster images - up to gigabytes in size - which are not actually embedded in the SWF itself, but stay resident on the server. When you zoom in on images in the Zoomify viewer, the application requests image data from the server, and the zoomed in view clears up accordingly. Our SWF is about 11k in size, regardless of the size of the image it references. Our idea is to allow the browsing of large images in a way that makes them accessible over the Web. Our technology streams image data rather than scaling it.

The first 2 links are examples of scaling vector data. The second 2 links do contain raster data, but the data has to be limited by the fact that you have to load the SWF to load the image. And, it's scaling the raster data, not detecting where the user is and requesting additional data from the server.

The image that is referenced by the annotation example was originally a 1.2 gigabyte TIFF - about 100 megs in Zoomify's format.

As for the complexity of the ActionScript involved - we have an open-license FLA we include with the program, so feel free to take a look. It's copyrighted, but you can pretty much do anything you want with it except claim it as your own (i.e., use it, mod it, build upon it). Our version 1.0 is available for trial download here:

www.zoomify.com/downloads/

Version 1.75 is coming out in a few weeks and will be incorporating the faster display, etc., and we'll make a trial available then as well.

And, don't worry about slamming me - I asked for feedback and I hope to get more of it. If anything I've said is unclear, please let me know!

Alex
    Zoomify, Inc.
    www.zoomify.com

Hey!

I whanted to find out more about "Zoomifyer for Flash" but it seems that theres no trial available for download.

Do you really think that someone will spend 129$ for prog that havent been tested.
    It's like optimaze wich seems to be total crap after i got warez version of it - glad i didnt bought it

If trial download is available maybe you can post direct url?

Hi Zirgz,

We're about to release version 1.75, and we'll have a trial version available at that time. It will be ready in the next 2 weeks. Absolutely understand that you'd like to try it out before you buy it.

Thanks,

Alex
    Zoomify, Inc.
    www.zoomify.com

Been a little while - but I wanted to let you know that we've released a new, entirely free product called Zoomifyer EZ. Same basic idea, really simple to use, and did I mention free?

www.zoomify.com

We have also updated the Zoomifyer for Flash product to version 1.8 - much easier to use, lots of new features, improvements, etc. With it you can modify your toolbar, add your splashscreen, add it to your existing flash movies... etc.

Anyway, just a quick update. Let me know what you guys think.

Alex

Zoomify EZ

Has anyone tried to use Zoomify EZ in Flash? Or do we have to buy Zoomify for Flash? Has anyone tried that? How did it go? I really wish they had a trial for Zoomify for Flash.

Thanks,
    Cathy

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for your interest. We do not currently have a trial of Zoomifyer for Flash - but the Zoomifyer EZ product is free of charge and allows you to start working with Zoomify images.

If you have a specific question or need, please let me know and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Alex

great tool

is there any quick-tutorial on how to implement it in flash?
    the userguide from ure website is mostly about proper img-preparation?
    but what about, how can i use it in flash or even dynamicliy loading jpg's over zoomify?
    Thems like that r the questions i consider wenn i thinging about implementin ure product.

anyway,respect,realy nice tool

AJAX implementation of Zoomify viewer!

AJAX implementation of Zoomify viewer!

The Brain Maps AJAX-Zoomify viewer may be used with your own Zoomify images. It is much faster than Flash-based versions. Try it yourself. Future versions will enable you to add overlays to brain maps (including markers and polylines) and display shadowed "info windows". The Brain Maps API is a free service, available for any web site that is free to consumers.

link:
    http://brainmaps.org/index.php?p=brain-maps-api

Bumping a 5 year old thread in the News Forum... I decided to move this discussion to a different forum since this doesn't really look like a News Forum item; this is more of a discussion involving high-resolution graphics and how Flash might just be involved.

Please don't post this again - per the Flashkit rules, once is enough.

And oddly enough... this should have been moved from the News Forum 5 years ago... guess I missed a few.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]