A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: stop my system remembering my preloader

stop my system remembering my preloader

Hello. I have madie a movie and a preloader using MX.
    What I want to do is test my preloader.

I have been uploading it FTP, then going to the page on the web to see how it looks when it loads in to the web page.

But i can only do it once before my computer remembers the movie and loads it straight in whizzing through my preloader.

I assume the movie has been 'cached' or stored on my system somewhere.
    I would like to know how to stop my system remembering my .swf.

Wanna emigrate :)

LOL

Go to:
    Tools->Internet options->Delete files offline->Delete cookies->Clear history and man....then your system will forget the "loader problem!"

Have fun with youre PC!
    "If i was a king, i could do anithyng!"

Alternatively (while you're testing at least, remove this again when you're ready for other people to view the movie)

you can use the javascript document.write method to write the object and embed tags of your movie to the page and in the process pass a random number into the movie in the form of a query string, so in effect the you open filename.swf?r=782421 (or whatever) instead of just filename.swf by doing this it forces the browser to download the file from the server again instead of looking in the cache,

Code:
    document.write('<OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" odebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" WIDTH="550" HEIGHT="400" id="loadXML" ALIGN="">');
    document.write(<PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="loadXML.swf?r=' + Math.round(Math.random() * 999999) + '"> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#FFFFFF>');
    document.write('<EMBED src="loadXML.swf?r=' + Math.round(Math.random() * 999999) + '" quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF  WIDTH="550" HEIGHT="400" NAME="loadXML" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></EMBED>');
    document.write('</OBJECT>');

LOL..Thanks Hamleet, that was the first thing I tried, maybee I should of mentioned it, the .swf dosn't seem to be memorised any where in tools>Internet options. But thanks for the input.

Cheers catbert303, i'm going to implement that now.

HI!

Before doing what Hamleet told you to do, go ti files then check work Offline.
    After that: tools; internet options; delete files; delete all offlines content; ok.

Bye

TheyWouldProbablyMakeMeSweatTo

Thanks that was the missing my missing link.

Opps. I mean thanks RMMS
    Last edited by Fluid X; 10-24-2002 at 10:23 AM.

That should read codebase, sorry I must've accidentally cut off the c

The codebase is the part of the tag that automatically downloads flash 6 player if the user doesn't have it (on IE on PC). Basically if you publish the html page to go with your movie that will show you all the code you should use in the html page, you just have to wrap the javascript around it

Thanks catbert303 i did wonder about that ode. It wasn't what I was originally asking, however it was one of the many things I needed to know, so thanks.