A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: write a photoshop tutorial...

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar

write a photoshop tutorial...

Who wants to make a photoshop tutorial thread sort of like what was over at WH... I thought that was an awesome resource... write tutorial about anything photoshop and post it in here. There is no one way to achieve an effect in photoshop. Therefore, there is no such thing as something that is too simple so do what you can. I'm sure we can all learn a thing or two from something like this.
    I would say don't just add links to other tuts... maybe another thread for that.

Colored Glassy Ball

I've seen stuff close to this before but I really think this is a pretty easy way to achieve the effect.

open photoshop
    first choose file>new and make the new image a square... maybe like 200px X 200px.

make background black

create a new layer and color that one black as well. Everything from here on out will be done to the new layer.

choose filter>render>lens flare and pick 105mm prime and set it to 100%

now go filter>distort>polar coordinates and click on the "polar to rectangle" button.

now go edit>transform>flip vertical.

should look like this

now go filter>distort>polar coordinates and select "rectangular to polar" and you'll get this.

now take the eliptical marquis tool and while holding down the shift button to achieve a perfect circle, select around the edge of the ball.

choose select>inverse

then choose edit>cut and you should have something that looks much like this.

now go image>adjust>color balance and play around until you get a color you like.

and there is you glassy looking ball.I wound up doing the marquis again in the example and saved out the wrong one... that's why it looks a little wierd... oops.

I would image that with another layer, the smudge and blur tool and a change in opacity to the ball layer yone could probably make something trapped inside the ball... maybe.

This tutorial was not taken from Wastedyouth.com to my knowledge, but If it is the same... I give the site owner all credit.

nice tut. anything in particular you're looking for serpent? I could probably whip up something...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I deleted a bunch of off-topic posts in here, if this is going to be a tute thread let's keep it that way.

I'll try and come up with something later too.

cheers

Banned
    Whats a tute thread aversion?

'tute' is a common contraction of 'tutorial'

Banned
    Ohk thanks. Lets get this "tute" thread happening

Thanks Aversion and I look forward to your contribution...

I really thought this would take off a bit. hmmmm..

Well serpent i think there is just alot of ppl here like me....we can barly do it ourselves

Señor member
    I shouldn't worry serpent, tutorials take a while to write and for people to avoid covering material that's already been done in the past so traditionally these sorts of thread are slow burners.

If / when there are more tutes, we can look to pin it or make one mother thread for PS / graphics resources
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

Good deal... I wasn't too worried... I think I was more looking to bump the thread to keep it in peoples minds. Like I said earlier, the one at Were Here was an awesome resource for me and I'm sure many others. I think it would be great to have one here.

Later Jamble,
    Mat

mullet king
    The Trendy Stretch Tute

Here we will make a pic like this:

First select a photo/pic, ones with lots of color are best.

Then use the Rectangular Marquee Tool or press M.

Select an area 2 pixels wide, by the entire height of the image like so

You can check how much you have selected using the info tab in the top right (PS7)

Then hit Ctrl+J to put the selection onto a new layer. Then hit Ctrl+T to select the Free Transform tool.

Stretch the selection by dragging one of the central boxes like this:

Hit enter, add some funky shizz and bingo

The large image I used is available here

-Gray

mullet king
    (Yes that is my car)

Sweet tutorial MX *now I really wish I had photo shop*

nice thread, nice tutes!

Nice Audi! Have you seen the new Nissan 350Z? It looks like a cross between a daddy TT and a porche, specially a porche when it has a rear spoiler.
    Nice specs too, N/A 287 hp @ 6,200 RPM, 274 lb/ft @ 4,800 RPM, Independent multi-link suspension. All for 26k. Can't wait for a forced induction for it.
    </unhijack thread>

nice one mx kid... reminds me of how I sometimes go about accomplishing the same effect...

I select what I want with either the lasso or a marquis tool and and then switch to the move tool. Then I press the alt key at the same time as I press one of the arrow keys and it nudges the seletion over or up and down... you can even get a sort of jagged diagonal out of it.

good contribution on your part.

mx_kid or anyone else..when i tried out the strech tut. mine image didnt strech like yours i dont know what went wrong i followed what u said too. let me know thanks.

"Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip" -Homer
    "Whos your daddy and what does he do?" -Arnold S.

mullet king
    Are you sure you used Ctrl+J to put the selection onto a new layer? Looks as though its dragged the original... make sure you Ctrl+T on the new layer too...

FK's Helper Monkey!
    No. he didn't select the right area, make sure your selection are is 2 pixels wide.