A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What's next?

ScreenResolution

What's next?

Pretty broad question, I know, but...

With broadband technology becoming more and more common, surely keeping file size down to an absolute miniumum is going to become less important, other than for reasons of efficiency. Are, therefore, skill such as html coding and flash going become redundant fairly soon?

If so, what's going to replace them? Is there already stuff on the horizon?

If not, why not?

Regards

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™

Re: What's next?

Originally posted by Owen Sutton
    become redundant fairly soon?
    ummm... no. what percentage have broadband... flash will continue to expand with technology (flashcom, remoting...). html will get better (xhtml and whatever not...)

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    shockwave.

Re: What's next?

Originally posted by Owen Sutton
    Are, therefore, skill such as html coding and flash going become redundant fairly soon?
    What has the redundancy of HTML and flash got to do with people getting broadband????

And how can broadband make flash redundant?

Flash won't be affected by broadband in the same way the price of fish is affected by weekend football scores.
    Keep it rural.

i agree. i think it's quite the opposite. i-media people have been constrained by bandwidth for some time and now that more people are taking up broadband the creativitiy will only increase and flash/director/swift3d and other internet tools will have an opportunity to show their true colors. The bar will be lifted and the tools will rise to the occasion.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

ScreenResolution
    Flash currently prevails because of its ability to deliver quality web content with a relatively small file size.

Surely if file size wasn't an issue, then better and more impressive/versitile, if a little bandwidth hungry, software would supersede? Albeit that may be Flash 10,11,12....

My original question is a forward looking one - just tryna future-proof myself. The ability to download data quicker must have an effect on the technology/software we use.

ScreenResolution
    Good point, BlinkOk. Maybe there is still a lot left in our existing tools.

let me play devils advocate a little here:

Blink
    and now that more people are taking up broadband the creativitiy will only increase
    I cannot agree with this basic premise. Are you saying that bandwidth increases creativity? There are always rules to apply to creativity. In our industry bandwidth is only one such rule. Screen resolution, browser, there are loads of them.

I think it is time to question the basic premise made that wider bandwith will increase the quality of material found on the internet. RUBBISH. The same argument was used for flash, and we all know that there are more bad sites than good out there done in flash.

Design follows Form

I see no important changes in navegacion systems in the future, but content will become more dynamic, thats the point of broadband, faster database searches, not heavier graphic user interfases. Have a look at what the flash communicacion server can do(or what ever the thing is called !!)

My 0.01 Euros worth.

Developer
    Originally posted by OddDog
    wider bandwith will increase the quality of material found on the internet
    who said/says that?

by material i meant webs.

Just because broadband is available it doesn't mean you should create flash movies which have a ridiculous file size, not everyone has it, or will have it. So to say that broadband is a reason to overboard file size wise is just narrow minded, think of the site users. You aren't going to see the big corporate sites, say Amazon for example, using loads of high quality bandwidth eating graphics, huge flash files or cool 3D effects. It just won't happen.

Flash will continue to be used along the same lines as what presently is being created industry wide, unless Flash MX developes the ability to cook your dinner and iron your clothes.
    Keep it rural.

Developer
    Originally posted by gecko2
    unless Flash developes the ability to cook your dinner and iron your clothes.
    well... Flash is popping up on refrigerators, washing machines and the like. Maybe in the future...
    Last edited by gSOLO_01; 10-28-2002 at 02:04 PM.