A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: The importance of answering emails

The Minister of No Crap

The importance of answering emails

I just read a great article called The Inbox Economy. Other than revealing that Canadians do not reply to emails, it makes a good point:

If you have no time to write back. Then say you cant write back. Its common courtesy. Its efficient. Its Public Relations. An e-mail can have a butterfly effect you know? A starving student sends you an email, you never answer, he writes to somebody else, they answer, the kid is Bernbach II, their agency grows, yours files bankruptcy, you are out of a job, the bank takes your house, your wife leaves you, your dog bites you.

Just Reply... its that easy.

I am the first to admit that I am guilty of not replying to emails. Sometimes I can get so busy and my inbox is so full of crap that I just keep ignoring items.

Anyone else do this?

Scott
    Last edited by nocrapchurch; 10-26-2002 at 11:07 PM.

mullet king
    Must say I always try to reply. Even to the hundereds of emails I get from "Designer/Programmer in India will work for 300 per week", I at least reply to say no thanks.

FK's Official Cricket Eater. ViperGeckoFreak's Avatar
    the only time i havnt replied or taken a long time to reply is after my site got 3rd in macromedia's design contest. every teen newb designer email me with questions and it got old. but otherwise i always reply to the email as soon as i get them, because i know how annoying it is when people dont reply to you.
    <-- was lost..

by the way... when is macromedia going to have another contest like that??

and I always try to reply in a timely manner through email... keeps me off the phone.

FK's Official Cricket Eater. ViperGeckoFreak's Avatar
    they have one that is ending the 30th of this month...better hurry...and theyre gonna have a spring one again too.
    <-- was lost..

i have a auto responder on some of my email addys that way they think i will email them back.. kinda like caller ID

President and CEO of nothing.

Bad URL

Hey Scott,

The link isn't working, did you post it right? I'd like to read the article, thanks.

Aaron
    One day my ship will come in and I'll be at the airport.

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    I have priorities in terms of e-mails. So I read how urgent the e-mail is, and will reply ASAP if its important, and later if its not important now but will be later.

And the "lesser" e-mails (like personal e-mails which are sent every so often) get pushed back. Unfortunately, what happens is what you said Scott, where I keep pushing things back and it piles up.

Btw, I'm Canadian, and I do reply e-mails.

The Minister of No Crap

Re: Bad URL

Originally posted by crunchDesign
    Hey Scott,

The link isn't working, did you post it right? I'd like to read the article, thanks.

Aaron
    Looks like they just restructured their whole site. Here is the new URL:
    http://www.ihaveanidea.org/articles/...s/00000042.htm

President and CEO of nothing.

Thanks - Canada - Emails

Hey Scott,

Thanks a lot for pointing out the article, an interesting read to my Canadian eyes. What I am even more amazed by is the fact that it is a Canadian site, what brought you to their site, as I understand it you're American correct? If you simply do this to keep up with the business climate up north then kudos to you! I am even more amazed by you! As for the actual email thing I find someone sending a one line email even more aggravating then not sending one. At least if they don't respond you can hold up hope that they just never got it...but when I write a two paragraph email and get a partially constructed one sentence answer, it gets under my skin!

Aaron
    One day my ship will come in and I'll be at the airport.

Originally posted by ViperGeckoFreak
    they have one that is ending the 30th of this month...better hurry...and theyre gonna have a spring one again too.
    cool stuff viper... im gonna win it = )... not this one, but the spring one... if i remember right, the one that you won had a high school age group and then college as well??

The Minister of No Crap

Re: Thanks - Canada - Emails

Thanks a lot for pointing out the article, an interesting read to my Canadian eyes. What I am even more amazed by is the fact that it is a Canadian site, what brought you to their site, as I understand it you're American correct?
    Well, I didn't go to the site merely because its a "Canadian" site. I was there because it was referred to me. I kept going there because it was a really good site. As an American, I'm the first to admit that some of the best sites out there are not American.

If you simply do this to keep up with the business climate up north then kudos to you!
    I try to keep up with the business climate everywhere, not just America, Canada, and the UK.