A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Device Fonts - May have an issue

Device Fonts - May have an issue

I just finished a project in which I use device fonts (Arial) for instructional text. The text has appeared fine on all computers in development, the clients thoroughly tested and he we've had no complaints after it's release -- but I just noticed on this old G3 (OS 8 somethin) -- (4 something browsers) -- that the font looks more likes times and is too big - doesn't fit within the alloted space.

Does anybody know if I can expect to find similar issues on other machines. Do you think device fonts is generally viewed as expected? Should they be avoided?

Thanks. And Sorry in advance if this has already come up.
    Last edited by stereokitchen; 10-26-2002 at 03:16 PM.
    -dk

Device fonts means that you're using whatever system font is available on a particular machine. There is no way to ensure how the text will look unless you embed it.

Hey FFF. I know I didn't make it clear, but I am aware that device fonts are system fonts and etc. I guess my question is, do you think it's bad form to use device fonts when you use a common font such as arial that most all systems have?

Also, for some reason, the crap mac at work (which does have the arial font) is showing arial device as times roman like font. Weird. Otherwise all testing has been perfect.

Another thing I'd be interested in is how people use device fonts for client projects?
    -dk

Well... with device fonts, you have no control over the end result, so it's kind of risky to deliver a project without knowing a 100% what the end result will be.

I also believe that the results that you got in that old Mac are not typical, and that most Macs should show Helvetica instead of Arial.

I think I figured out the root of my issue. Older Flash plugins on macs (and maybe pc for that matter) do not read device fonts properly. Upgrading the plugins on the machines in question have eliminated the issue.

Anyone have anything to add...
    -dk