A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: confused on how to send....

Mr. Nice Guy

confused on how to send....

....information from an input text field to an asp page on the server.

i am using flash 5 and here is what i have on the button:
    on (release, keyPress "<Enter>") {
    getURL ("memberSubnav.htm", "contentSubnav");
    getURL ("search/search.asp"+_root.searchTab.search.content, "content", "POST");
    _root.searchTab.search.content = "";
    }

the company that is handling the hosting and the search engine doesn't know much about actionscripting and flash. so i am having a hard time asking the right questions. am i setting it up right and they're just not setting up the asp right? i don't know anything about asp, so i guess i'm screwed here, huh?

Hi,

you really want to open two new windows (or replace the contents in two frames) at the same time?
    The second call is sending data via the querystring; this is equivalent to the GET method. It is also sending all of your vars (on the same timeline as the submit button) via the POST method. You might send redundant data this way. Also ASP allows to specify which vars to take from the GET and POST method, so the method you choose should match your asp script

Musicman

Mr. Nice Guy
    you really want to open two new windows (or replace the contents in two frames) at the same time?
    yea, i wanted another frame, which is the navigation for that section, to open as well as the asp page to be called up. i think what has happened is the asp isn't set up to accept a query string. (Which is what the asp guy is doing right now.)

man i can't wait until i can learn asp so i know how to communicate this stuff better. thanks for the reply.

Hi,

if you are using the querystring, it is a good idea to specify neither POST nor GET there.
    It might also be a good idea to use
    "search/search.asp"+escape(_root.searchTab.search.content)
    in case there are spaces in the search string

Musicman