A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Flash Video Article

To clarify my words:
    Wheels said
    I can't remember exactly what your statements were, but basically to the effect "Flash 6 is a waste, I'm not putting it on my system"
    Whiterabbit
    Where SV RULES is in DESIGN and INTERACTIVE apps such as tutorials that play video, interact with the user a database or other vector elements of the flash movie etc. For short video clips up to 3 minutes its pretty darn good...

whiterabbit
    If you think you have more design lattitude with MX than SV I would be happy to prove you wrong...and I refer to integrated video not just conversing with a backend.
    This (to me) implies capabilities MX can't achieve.

I'm not attacking or patronizing you - I'm asking you how you feel you can make these claims when you have no experience with MX? It's like never being to France, but coming off like you know how it feels to sit on the sidewalk sipping a capachino.

You've dodged my question(s) twice now. I think the above quotes infer that you feel your product is superior in some way, and that MX delivery doesn't warrant serious consideration at this time.

I'm not trying to discount your success, as I said - I'm impressed with the results you are able to achieve. Kudo's. But don't discount the capabilities of MX (while pumping yours up) without any experience using it.

BTW - This wasn't started as a comparison link, as you state - but simply a sticky thread for links to good articles. I cleaned house on it once, but decided to leave it open for other's to post good articles. I believe you are the one who wanted to talk about the comparison.

***beats the bickering women with high-heeled shoes***

... gimme just one more line of code to ease the pain.

http://www.ln.tv
    http://www.davevillano.com
    http://www.premierloftsdenver.com
    http://www.backyard.cc -- coming soon!

Sr. Member and still clueless!
    Originally posted by Lightwave Network
    ***beats the bickering women with high-heeled shoes***
    Amen to that!

Ok gents,

Here it is: http://www.t-i-w.com/downloads/test/markplayer.html

The file started in After Effects and was about 60 MB at 700 x 300 @24 fps. I brought it into Flash SV using Flash MX under Mac OS X (Jaguar). The final movie is 700 x 365 (allowing realestate for video controls) at 12 fps and the audio is 44 mHz, 16 bit Stereo.

I have three computers at home to test it on, the files themselves are on a server located in the UK with no backend streaming software running of any kind. The results were as follows with the web browser scaled to the FULL WIDTH of the monitor—keep in mind that I programmed it in a video editor first so I have a better awareness of what IS syncing and what isn’t, so if you notice a little mis-sync, I probably see a bit more:

CONNECTION: Comcast-Cable Modem, three computers through one router.

Browser: Internet Explorer

Computer/processor/RAM:Macintosh G4 (silver) 1gHz Dual Processor w/1GB of RAM
    Sound quality/sync with video: Sound is clear and syncs perfectly even at full width of monitor—I can’t believe it!
    Video: Some pixelizing and some of the type fly-ins look soft (could be fixed if I exported at higher jpeg quality setting.
    Monitor:19” flat screen, millions of colors

Computer/processor/RAM:Macintosh G4 (grey) 450 with 256MB of RAM
    Sound quality/sync with video: sound is just as good. Snyc is slightly off, most people might not notice) however, if the web browser was scaled to approximately the actual size of the original movie (700 pixels wide), the syncing was much better.
    Video: Ditto above data.
    Monitor: 17” apple, millions of colors

Computer/processor/RAM: Compaq Presario 7470, 533 mHz, 64 MB RAM
    Sound quality/sync with video: Slightly degraded beyond what the Mac G4 450 (above) displayed (even on the second play) however, if the web browser was scaled to approximately the actual size of the original movie (700 pixels wide), the syncing was much better.
    Video:Same image quality as the Macs.
    Monitor: 19” flat screen, millions of colors

I have no doubt that if I made this file smaller, even to 400 pixels wide it would rock on all three computers. I sent a message out to about 50 people today to get their opinions, I’ve heard from 6 so far and everyone felt the image quality could have been better but it was very good concidering it was full screen, it was streaming on line, and they didn’t have to download a 50 MB file. What they don’t know is a couple of the clips were oversized video that was scaled too large, hense the stairstepping. They also approved the audio and felt it sync’d very well, provided the streaming stayed ahead of the play head. The second time played, in many cases everything sync’d perfectly.

Hope you all like it.