A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: i have a problem with a chat when i upload

i have a problem with a chat when i upload

hi,
    I uploaded the swf and the html and the asc file, then when i went to view the file it opens but its like i cannot connect whats the problem someone please help.

http://www.h20interactive.com/~angel/firstapp.html
    view it there.

thanx in advanced...

psx = new Moderator();
    Hey - it's probably your connection string? In the properties for the simpleConnect component, there should be a place to put it. It probably sais something like: "rtmp:/first_app" which will work fine if the movie is run on the same machine as the flashcom server, but if you want to put it on a server that doesn't have flashcom, you have to tell it to connect to your server:

rtmp://myflashcomserver/first_app

Psx

thanx alot but i need to know

hey,

I need to know u said something about the flash comm server, Do I have to upload that to my online server, and if yes which file is the flashcomm server file. thanx a lot for ur help.

skyracer......

psx = new Moderator();
    Hey -
    You don't need to upload the server, just make sure the swf you upload knows where the server is.

In order for it to know, you have to put either the ip address or domain of the server where the flashcom server is running. So if your ip at home was 111.111.111.111, you'd connect to it from the simple connect component like so:

rtmp://111.111.111.111/my_app

I just checked, but it looks like the file is no longer there. Where you able to get it working?

Psx

hey dude thanx a lot..

hi,

what you told me did work and i have it working.
    My site is skyteckstudio.cjb.net
    untill i get a server of my own the chat will not always work since i am on 56k and my ip keep changing well thanx a lot you have really helped me..one more question. How do i delete the history on the chat cause everything i have ever said since the begining is there..

thanx in advanced
    skyracer.....

psx = new Moderator();
    To clear the chat, you can do a few things, the easiest is to put a button on your movie and have it call a function inside the chat component. If you look inside the component, there is a "clearHistory" method already available. You just need to call it. So if your chat component has an instance name of "chat", you can just do chat.clearHistory();

The other way is to edit the chat.asc file on the server, there should be a property somewhere in there that is something like
    "persistentHistory = true". just set it to false, and restart your application. This should keep the chat from lasting eternally. No idea why this is set to true by default, I've never ever seen a chat that works like that.

Psx