A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: _level0 button hit area active through _level1

Former Member now elsewhere

_level0 button hit area active through _level1

Don't you just hate it when you know darned well that you saw the answer to your problem the other day but can't remember where that answer is to save your life? Yea... that's me about now.

It's pretty simple... hit a button on _level(pick any lower level) and it loads an swf onto that area with loadMovieNum. Works great, except that the hit area for the buttons in the lower level are still active and those buttons can be triggered even though they're covered over by the swf on the other level. Not too smooth... I've got all this text with unwanted, invisible buttons all over it.

I know I just saw the answer to this one.... but can't remember where. Brain fade from wading through about 4000 forum posts.

Thanks,

NCD

as i understand u should do this

put a big square(same size with ur movie) with the same color with background at the back off the all the items in the movie u will load on the lower level.
    MeHdI

That would be ok for one button but this is more like 15... per page. And then code would need to be written to re-enable each and every one when the text boxes are unloaded and there are one of those for each button.

It seems odd that there isn't an opaque/transparency setting for buttons... so you can make a MC or layer solid in such a way that buttons hidden under it won't trigger the cursor. Even better might be to set things solid all the time and if you want an invisible button just set the alpha to 1%.

I'm still hoping for something that won't take 3 hours to implement (15 buttons per page, 6 pages.... Ugh!!), but thanks for the idea!

NCD

reMember
    What I would do is have the button that is, let's say on level0, in addition to loading the upper level movie, have it tell level0 to go to a place on the timeline, which you can call "park", which doesn't have the buttons.

Will this work for you, or have you already figured it out?

Let us know, we need to know.

the_one, I didn't understand what you mean... but if you mean to use a square to hide the buttons so they can't be seen I've already done that. The mouse turns to a pointer even though the button is covered by a big solid square... and clicking on the square over that spot still triggers the button.

The square that covers the button is on layer 1 of the movie that's loaded into layer above the button.

Thanks,

NCD

Chris that might work but I swear I've seen something simpler somewhere... I can't believe that by version 6 (MX) something so simple could take so much work to do. If you load a MC on top of another one, shouldn't the only buttons working be the ones you can see, regardless of what level they reside on? I mean, hellloooo, McFly... (showing my age, sorry )

Actually that would require a whole re-write... I could jump the entire menu off stage but then I'd have to resize everything because right now it would be noticed.

reMember
    Instead of just a box to cover the button you could use another button without an action and only the top button is active. Your mouse will still change but I think there is a way to prevent that also. I just don't know it off the top of my head.