A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What has it come to [the design industry].........

FK's Osirus
    ur computer screen Chars Viewed: 127,417,094 Total Posts Viewed: 61,825 Total Threads Viewed: 12,598

What has it come to [the design industry].........

Hi,

I've been around for quite a while and i've seen a lot [and i mean a lot] of designer sites.

Now is it me or does every site posted in the Cool Sites Board look very similar to each other. Now I know 2advanced have built a formula which works, thats the reason of their success. But does this mean everyone has to immitate them?

The question is if 2advanced didn't exsist what would the design industry turn into? And would it be full of small time, no skill designiers like it is now?

The industry to me, seems to be split into these catagories [no specific order]:
    ---->Seriously skilled DESIGN genius/artist [designing in the blood]
    ---->Seriously skilled FUNCTIONALITY masters [scripters]
    ---->Graphic masters perfected by experiance
    ---->2Advanced looser wannabes [copy cats from any source]
    ---->Unskilled designers trying there hardest to be original but just can't cut it as a web designer.
    ---->Big headed f*** wits, who start a post with "look at my amazing site" and think there design is brilliant because it's a total copy or it's just totally uncreative.

I'm proberly not very clear in what i've said, thats just the way I am. But if anyone knows where i'm coming from please post some comments.
    Last edited by korcian; 11-19-2002 at 03:48 PM.
    
    
    

yea i understand ya man..i feel the same way with some of those things
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

moving to the board room....

dream.in.code
    I totally agree with you!

I think there are a few other categories though...

- Marketing Geniuses: Folks that can drum up interest about a pile of poo
    - Copywriters: Folks that can create amazing content that is extremely interesting and can attract an audience.

I personally consider myself a combination of the marketing, design, and programming categories...

You should add this to the list:
    - Webdesign tryhards working for food without talents.

It exists, and I saw many

FK's Osirus
    ur computer screen Chars Viewed: 127,417,094 Total Posts Viewed: 61,825 Total Threads Viewed: 12,598
    - Marketing Geniuses: Folks that can drum up interest about a pile of poo
    - Copywriters: Folks that can create amazing content that is extremely interesting and can attract an audience.

Yeah these are true, but i'm talking more on a design level, not business or content.

- Webdesign tryhards working for food without talents.

I like to phrase it:

- Unskilled designers trying there hardest to be original but just can't cut it as a web designer.
    
    
    

which category do you think i belong to?

(the link in my profile)

Originally posted by fospher.com
    which category do you think i belong to?

(the link in my profile)
    well considering the fact that I couldn't even read the text on your front page ( of course that is my fault for having my monitor set on 1280 pixels), text too small, and dark blue links on black background....
    lotsa contrast there!
    then when I clicked a little pop-up window appearded and after 4 minutes of waiting still not so much as a pre-loader...

well I think you get where I'm going with this...

so the site wouldnt load?

well, the intro is roughly 350kb, and the server is a OC3.
    so no, i dont see where you're going. the intro works everywhere, even on my high schools peak hour where everyone is milking the t1 and that becomes worse than a 28.8. try letting the site load(eh, refresh), then please tell me what you think

What about the web designers that have talent but do not have the time to be talented!!!!

I work for a small media company and the time scales given are so tight that we just do not have the time to be creative...
    At the moment I just feel like we are pressing a template button over and over again.

It is sad and fustrating! But my boss is a keen fanatic of money not making the effort for better designs.

hey fospher, no offense but this isn't a site check thread.

anyway, for the most part i think the generalization is right--there are a lot of people who know what they're doing, and a lot of people who have jobs in this industry, and a lot of 15 year olds who have nothing else to do but play around with a hacked copy of flash. also keep in mind that looking at the cool sites or site check section of flashkit isn't and can't be a microcosm of web designers industry or world wide. i've definitely worked with a lot of people (usually the ones who know flash is capable of moving a red square across the stage while it turns into a blue ball) who've never heard of flashkit (but could probably go for spending some time here...)

mullet king
    Surely every industry has its leaders and followers?

Originally posted by erova
    and a lot of 15 year olds who have nothing else to do but play around with a hacked copy of flash.

thats prejudice buddy. im 15, my flash copy is fully licensed, and i have a lot of other hobbies too, besides flash.

That was not directed at you... and the fact is it that there are "a lot of 15 year olds who have nothing else to do but play around with a hacked copy of flash". Doesn't mean every young designer is bad, just that a whole lot of them are taking "design" for a hobby, when it should be taken a little more seriously if you ever want to get anything out of it.

thanks subway--(fospher--i re-read your posts and you hadn't mentioned whether you were 15 or 51..)

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    I think he stated that he used his high school's T1 and judging by the sites content, I would guess that he isn't an english teacher, so the 15 year old comment wasn't all that unapropriate. The thing is, it's a rare high school student indeed, who knows how to make an effective site. Gloomy does an exceptional job on the design side, but he is one of the only ones that really come to mind straight away. I know there are others, but they are few and far between. I my best freind of many years was always on the fast track to art school and artistry, and looking back on his stuff from when he was a teenager compared to now after art school, and after a number of years of commercial work, his old stuff is just of nowhere near the depth and sophistication that his current stuff offers. he difference is sick.

It's ok to be 15, just give it time and keep working on your abilities, and when your pushing thirty, you'll get it. You'll really get it.

There are lots of exceptions... scrolling through the macromedia student design competition is good enough proof. The problem is most teenagers a) cannot behave/behave unprofessionaly b) are arrogant c) think they can and should make money fast, without learning the basics d) don't take themselves seriously.
    Just as you rightly pointed out, there is a lot to learn, and you can only improve over time, gain maturity and experience - for all this to work though, you have to be sure that you really want to follow through. It's mainly a question of will.
    Of course flash costing 500$ is likely to discourage most of us .

I think he stated that he used his high school's T1 and judging by the sites content, I would guess that he isn't an english teacher, so the 15 year old comment wasn't all that unapropriate.
    actually, i even mentioned my age.

but ed mack is a year younger than me, and he is a moderator here at fk, and his coding is amazing.

did i write something confusing? erova said he/she didnt know whether i was 15 or 51, when i just said 2 posts before. well just to clear the confusion, yes, i am 15.

reMember
    For 15 you are very talented. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Has anyone played the Megaman game on this guy's site? It is friggin hilarious!
    1 post closer to a meeeeeellion......

thanks chris

but i like to be judged by my skills, not age.

look at some of my more recent projects:

the flashkit 72 hour flash challenge
    (http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...9&goto=newpost)
    www.fospher.com/flashComp.html

Basic Instinct
    www.fospher.com/tankPreview.html

Shut up & Skate
    www.fospher.com/shutskate5.html

the megaman game was alright, but it ran too slow on older machines, and there were obvious bugs in it.