A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What has it come to [the design industry].........

FK's Official Cricket Eater. ViperGeckoFreak's Avatar
    Originally posted by SubwayDesigns
    That was not directed at you... and the fact is it that there are "a lot of 15 year olds who have nothing else to do but play around with a hacked copy of flash". Doesn't mean every young designer is bad, just that a whole lot of them are taking "design" for a hobby, when it should be taken a little more seriously if you ever want to get anything out of it.
    i would like to say something about that. yeah i know there are alot of 15 year olds (including myself) that do flash work, alot of it crappy rips and such. i use a perfectly legal studio MX and photoshop, and consider it a hobby and some cash for highschool. i dont think every kid has to take it "seriously", unless they want to make money. i hear alot of stories about kids doing jobs and bailing on them.

and to add the the original post, 2A is a small bit of the design community. sure, they are well known and do great work, but its not a loss to web design if they weren't here. remember there are other design companies.
    <-- was lost..

There are lots of exceptions... scrolling through the macromedia student design competition is good enough proof.
    then u must have seen my beautiful 3rd place site eh?
    <-- was lost..

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar

Vipergeckofreak!

I was trying to remember your name when I mentioned gloomy in my earlier post. You should definately be considered one of the top teenage designers as well. Sorry for forgeting.

nothin to be sorry about its all good.
    <-- was lost..

viper, is (parts of)ninjai or freelance forums your work?

Originally posted by ViperGeckoFreak
    i would like to say something about that. yeah i know there are alot of 15 year olds (including myself) that do flash work, alot of it crappy rips and such. i use a perfectly legal studio MX and photoshop, and consider it a hobby and some cash for highschool. i dont think every kid has to take it "seriously", unless they want to make money. i hear alot of stories about kids doing jobs and bailing on them.

and to add the the original post, 2A is a small bit of the design community. sure, they are well known and do great work, but its not a loss to web design if they weren't here. remember there are other design companies.
    Ok just to set this straight. I'm 16 and I also use a legal flash MX copy. But you have to admit there is terrible prejudice against our age group. When I said "not taking it seriously", I meant that some of these teenagers will start a website for a client, then just "get bored", or not follow through for some other reason. That's why people discriminate against teens, because most of them (or at least many of them) aren't serious enough to start a design business.
    That being said, I'm glad you're an exception.

then u must have seen my beautiful 3rd place site eh?
    Yes, very nice. I'm participating this time around with Subway Designs, although I don't think I'll get anything because I'm not a us resident...

As far as the original question went. Where is the design industry going, I think it´s only fair to state...

the best way to get good is by copying the masters.

You who count yourselves as the elite, you can´t honestly say that when you were all starting out in the industry that you didn´t intentionally or unintentionally swipe a design, look or function here and there. We all do.

Speakin of which I probably shouldn´t even be in here amongst you guys. I´m a newby 2advanced swiping mofo just like the rest of em. But eventually I´ll get tired of that and learn some originality. In the meantime...

So long suckers...

sex, drugs and actionscript...
    What more do you need?

www.thedose.dk

I'm participating this time around with Subway Designs, although I don't think I'll get anything...
    thats what i thought too...
    <-- was lost..

Originally posted by ViperGeckoFreak
    thats what i thought too...
    and why's that?

cuz i didnt think my design was even that good lol

but i guess macromedia thought so.
    <-- was lost..

Originally posted by fospher.com
    viper, is (parts of)ninjai or freelance forums your work?
    nope.
    <-- was lost..

oh I thought you meant you thought my design wouldn't get anything Misunderstood you.

oh lol

oops my bad
    <-- was lost..

i did a search on mmedia, and didnt seem to find any contests that werent already expired. is there gonna be any soon, or is there one going on right now? i'd love to participate.

Well actually there was the fall student design competition, that closed October 31st, the winners should be announced on the 1st of december. Actually it'd be best if you read it for yourself.
    http://www.macromedia.com/resources/...contests/swdc/
    I think they'll be another one this coming spring.

That was not directed at you... and the fact is it that there are "a lot of 15 year olds who have nothing else to do but play around with a hacked copy of flash". Doesn't mean every young designer is bad, just that a whole lot of them are taking "design" for a hobby, when it should be taken a little more seriously if you ever want to get anything out of it.
    But if kids didn't start playing football at 4 years old and be rubbish at it they wouldn't become great players by the time they hit around 18. If they started playing at 17 they'd probably be at the same level as when the other kid was 12 or so????

I'm 24 so don't worry about your comments but hell I've probably seen more tallented programmers and designers at 15 that are better than you or I!! - Take ed_mack, I don't think he codes for anything other than a hobby. I think he's only young but I bet he kicks your ass at actionscript!!!

RipX

ok, hang on a minute, I just actually went to your site, in your work section, first out subnet.org

- Basic user site but requires flash 6 < BAD
    - Preloader appears on 29% / 39% < BAD
    - Graphic Equilizer either array or tweened < BAD
    - Icons not actually deisned, there windows icons < BAD
    - Rotating menu < Not original < BAD
    - Motion intro that's boring and seen a million times < BAD

Well, need I go on, and yes there is more...

- that ****ty move clip _x. to _xmouse rubbish < BAD

So where is your inovative design that's not replicated from other sources???

RipX

P.S. I couldn't be bothered to look at any past the first, I was falling asleep!

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    Come on... why are you singling out one persons work like that... If you can't play nice, don't play at all. There are exceptions to every rule... of course. Ed Mack might destroy the world with his kick ass code, but in general the average teeny bopper doesn't have that kind of skill, and if they do have that kind of skill, more often than not, thier knowledge and enthusiasm isn't tempered with wisdom. Just be cool man. Don't start slinging mud and tearing people down.

lol, he was slagging off fospher.com!! Well, who cares anyway, what harm are teeny boppers doing?? Remember they're rubbish compared to him I suppose thats another 10,000 or so that he's having a dig at????
    thier knowledge and enthusiasm isn't tempered with wisdom
    So?? Who cares, I enjoy baking but if a chef came and told me to stop, i'd tell him to ****off!! Why? Cos i'm not doing him any harm!!!

RipX
    Last edited by RipX; 12-12-2002 at 09:53 PM.

Originally posted by serpent star
    Ed Mack might destroy the world with his kick ass code, but in general the average teeny bopper doesn't have that kind of skill, and if they do have that kind of skill, more often than not, thier knowledge and enthusiasm isn't tempered with wisdom.
    teeny bopper? ill give you a ****ing 'bopper'. you make me very angry sir, dont make me get my beer...
    Last edited by fospher.com; 12-12-2002 at 10:18 PM.