A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Compatibility query ?

Compatibility query ?

Are there any compatibility issues with the SWF's that Swish produces and the latest Flash Player.

I read somewhere that "tell target" is a no-no in MX and it should all be dot syntax.

If I produce a Swish SWF, will it work on all Flash Players ?

Are there any compatibility issues with the SWF's that Swish produces and the latest Flash Player.from what i gather, the latest flash player doesn't allow execution of exe files from within an swf

If I produce a Swish SWF, will it work on all Flash Players?i haven't heard anything to the contrary

I read somewhere that "tell target" is a no-no in MX and it should all be dot syntax.i think our moderators would prefer this question to be asked in the flash forum. also, i haven't touched mx. otherwise, any others with the answer and willing to provide it might want to?

Flash Player 6 & MX are different as I'm sure you know, if your tell target is in your Swish produced .swf, you've no worries..MX does indeed use a different syntax, but guessing you using SWish, here.

Swish produced .swf's will work on Flash Player 4 & up..& yes some people do still have Flash Player 3 only LOL

Nope, all Swish swf's should run fine fine within the latest Flash Player (I'm assumming you are building your Swish swf for a website), no .exe is executable from the web, any .exe will be treated as a download same as a .zip, say...........

I think the moderators are not that picky....these are Swish usability questions......
    Last edited by Lambretta; 11-30-2002 at 03:55 AM.

Swish exports to swf 4

All players are backyard compliant meaning if it works in 4,5 it will work in 6

Swish handles it's own functions not in the way you see them but in the way it processes the instructions.
    I've yet to see a swf 4 that didn't run with the swf6 plugin.

And finally I don't know where you heard about tell target being a no no in MX they just use a different method of attaining the same result. Swish is not MX does not operate as MX.
    Tell target is a method of one sprite/mc/level/ comunicating with another. Not using tell target would make MX less not more effective as an swf authoring tool.
    using a / is just a visual reference in swish for the users (it's easier to invision parent/sprite/subsprite then parent.sprite.subsprite) in swish 2.0 this acually has little to do with the actual coding swish translates it into the proper formating when the swf is produced.

Frets
    Last edited by Frets; 11-30-2002 at 04:34 AM.

Thanks everyone.

I was having difficulties doing certain things in Flash, which proved to be so easy in Swish e.g. text panel sliding in from the side, etc.

I can now publish my website with confidence, knowing that people won't have problems viewing it - except those with Flash Player 3 !

Swish is excellent. Obviously not as powerful as Flash in some respects, but a hell of a lot easier to use.

I think it's going to be fun ... and I now know where to come for help.

Cheers

Errrr......yeah thanks..... Frets always nice to have the facts and my invisible suit's capabilities confirmed......

Hi h11tsr,

If anything SWiSH is *more* compatible with older Flash Players than Flash MX. By default Flash MX exports SWF6, but SWiSH exports SWF4. That means your SWiSH animation will run on Flash Players than a Flash MX animation.

As for tellTarget(), Flash MX and Flash Player 6 still support it. Macromedia would rather you use dot syntax or with (target) {...}, but that's just another way of saying tellTarget(target) {...}

Cheers, David.

BTW Frets, I don't think you meant "backyard compliant", I think you meant backward compatible
    SWiSH 2.0 :: Create Flash without Flash
    http://www.swishzone.com