A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: extrude, adding faces

extrude, adding faces

hey guys,

i have a simple question. when i draw a square, then extrude it, it becomes somewhat a cube. i then turn it into editable mesh and when i want to select faces (drop down, faces) of the cube tho, i cannot. it selects the whole surface of a side of the cube.. how do i add faces? how do i divide a face so i can but smaller faces.

it's somwhat similar to the plane. when i select faces of the plane, there are only a few big ones. i can add segments though, and more will appear. it's as if the side of the cube has one huge face, and i want to add more.

thanks!
    Ramon Miguel M. Tayag

make a cube instead of extruding the square and add more segments to the cube
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

oh that was just an example.. what if for example i wanted to make something that looked like an amoeba (not the amoeba, but the base shape, and then modifying it w/ the faces)? is it possible?
    Last edited by rmmt; 11-30-2002 at 12:10 AM.
    Ramon Miguel M. Tayag

do you have a picture of this amoeba
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

no, i just named it as an example
    Ramon Miguel M. Tayag

an amoeba is like a deformed circle... like a splat.. that's the shape so how do u do it?
    Ramon Miguel M. Tayag

amoeba

Hi rmmt,

One way to make an amoeba would be to start with a geoSphere with about 3 or 4 segments. In the command panel under the Modify tab click tetra to give you better faces to work with. Right click the geoShere and convert it to a mesh.

To make the geoShere a splat, click on one of the top vertices in the front viewport. Now, click on the Soft Selection box. Choose Use Soft Selection. Adjust the Edge distance spinner to select just less than half of the vertices down from the top of the geoSphere. You'll see them turn yellow as you adjust the edge spinner. You'll have to play around with the edge adjustment to get the right effect.
    Drag the selection down and the geoSphere will squash.

In the top viewport do the same and start dragging out the sides. After you get the shape you want apply the MeshSmooth modifier. Use 1 or 2 for the iterations in the Modify panel. If you use a higher value you'll really start to slow your computer down. Click back down on the Editable Mesh section and check the ignore backfacing and then you can refine the shape further. You'll loose the look of the meshsmooth when you click on the Editable section but you can go back up to the meshsmooth section, right click on the geosphere and turn it into a mesh again. That's called collapsing the stack.

I hope this helps you in getting started with making your amoeba.

As far as making a new face there are a couple of ways to do it. I'll give you the easiest.

After you collapse the object into a mesh select a face in the Modify panel and click the divide button. You can click on a face and it will be split into two faces. You can add new faces anywhere on the object.

Good luck rmmt.
    frankco

great, thanks man
    Ramon Miguel M. Tayag