A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need help with Movie clips

Need help with Movie clips

K i'm pretty confused right now. I asked the question "how would I make a person walk across the screen moving his legs". I got the answer that one way to be would make the man walking it's own movie clip. I don't really understand this. How would I do this, what exactly are mc's, please explain to me anything you think would get me uncofused about all this

Also, the person sent me the .fla of an example and in the main timeline there's no frames or anything but when you double click on the actually person it goes to it's own "editing" thing I guess you could say. Yep and i'm confused about this to, what's up with it?

IF you did read this, thanks alot and if you answered it thanks even more. Cyaz

y helo thar
    Hey, sup? Alright i was also confused about this subject when i first got flash, but its actually on of the most helpful things there are. An mc also known as a "Movie clip" is just like your main movie except its made in your main one. So you could say its a baby movie of the momma movie. Cntrl f8 i believe will let you make a new movie clip and within this you can change the frame rate and do whatever you want to do to help you with your final project. Then from the library cntrl + l. you can drag the movie clip onto the stage in whatever frame of the "momma movie" you want. Then when the momma movie hits that frame the movie clip you dragged in there will start to play. Now remember it will continuously loop unless you put a
    stop(); on the last frame. You may have to test your movie a few times to get the positioning of the mc correct but all in all they are a very useful tool and should be looked into. I hope this has helped and i just havent rambled on. - EnSanity

Tutorial?

The MC has a timeline of its own.

Make a new symbol:
    INSERT>NEW SYMBOL
    On behaviour, choose:
    MOVIECLIP
    And name it:
    WALK

You have now entered a new timeline.

This is the timeline for the "WALK" MOVIECLIP and is seperate from the main timeline.
    Using frame by frame animation, create the man walking.
    ONLY just give him that animation WITHOUT moving.
    So eventually when youre finished, it would look like he is walking in the same spot.

On the last frame of your animation, insert a KEYFRAME.
    Inside that KEYFRAME, add these actions:

Code:
    gotoAndPlay(1);
    You have now made a MOVIECLIP. Which is a movieclip of the man walking in the same spot.

Just beneath the timeline you should see your way of getting back to the main stage by pressing SCENE1

SEE NEXT REPLY
    Mr Pimp!
    Mr Pimp!
    Mr Pimp!

If your LIBRARY isnt already open, open it by
    pressing F11

This should contain your WALK MOVIECLIP.
    You can simply drag this onto your main timeline.

The main timeline is only 1 frame right now, but remember there is another timeline that exists inside the WALK MOVIECLIP.

Test the movie now:
    CONTROL>TEST MOVIE

As you can see, the animation is working even though there is only 1 frame on the main timeline. This is because there is another timeline WITHIN the WALK MOVIECLIP.

Return back to the main stage by pressing CTRL+W.

On the main timeline, you can now control the WALK MOVIECLIP in anyway you please.
    In this case, we will make him mve from one side of the screen to the other

SEE NEXT REPLY
    Mr Pimp!
    Mr Pimp!
    Mr Pimp!

Place the WALK MOVIECLIP on one side of the screen. (Preferably on the opposite side he is facing which depends on which way you made him face)
    For the sake of argument, insert a key frame on frame 20.
    Now "move" the WALK MOVIECLIP to the opposite side of the screen.
    Right click the timeline anywhere in between frame 1 and 20 and click CREATE MOTION TWEEN
    This creates the "In betweens".
    Meaning, it will complete the movements of the WALK MOVIECLIP "in between" frames 1-20.

You can move the playhead back and forth to see it moves from one side to the other. However you wouldnt be ablre to see the man "walking". as that is on the other timeline. But we know that works.
    All you have to do is test the movie again.

Phew!
    Mr Pimp!
    Mr Pimp!
    Mr Pimp!

k thanks alot guys, I sortof undertstand now. Thanks!