A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Site Check

Trained Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightcap
    Just finished looking at your site and I do have some well-meant remarks.

The used font - to me at least - is not easy to read when you are using small(er) font sizes. Examples of what I'm talking about are: "Support Forum" and "TechNotes Blog" on the first page. Unfortunately not everybody is blessed with 20/20 eyesight. I attached a small screen shot of that area.

The square, on the left, that contains the menu choices on your pages, has horizontal and vertical scroll bars? Maybe that's because my screen size of 1024x768 isn't big enough, but that really should not be a problem.

The Site Samples page goes way off screen to the right.

Maybe you could format the text on the Pricing page? It looks messy to me and rows and columns will do wonders.

Please consider my comments as a mere attempt to help you improve your site.
    I do appreciate your comments, may I ask your monitor size, resolution and what browser you are using? It was designed in 1024x768 res on a 19" flat panel monitor in Firefox. Knowing what you are using for viewing will certainly help me to design more across-the-board compatible sites. Thanks!

Trained Monkey
    Sorry to double post, but I just did a semi-major revamp on my site - no, I have not reconfigured the prices or pricing page layout, nor have I made it as far as removing the click to activate issues, but I resized everything to make it better viewable on a smaller monitor with a lesser resolution. I am most interested in Nightcap's viewing ability with the new layout... you will still have to scroll down, but it should have eliminated most - if not all - of the side-to-side scrolling issues. I also modified the font in hopes of the end result being less difficult to decipher. http://benign-design.net
    Last edited by BenignDesign; 08-22-2007 at 01:16 PM.

Glad that you appreciate my remarks.

I am using a laptop with a 14" 1024x768 screen. The browser is IE6, fully patched.
    Everybody thinks of changing humanity,
    Nobody thinks of changing himself.

Hi Linda, we kinda posted at the same time! Just took a quick look and from what I can tell you solved most of the problems. I'm in a hurry, but I'll have another - and longer - look later today.

Trained Monkey
    http://benign-design.net

I added a work-around to avoid the "Click to activate" messages in IE and Opera.... PLEASE let me know if it's not working. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by blanius
    That's the truth Brother
    What do you all charge for the hour in USD? I mean I have done some stuff and under bidded and worked for nothing which was my fault but then again I was at home while the TV was on. So I still had pocket money. But not enough to make a living as I work usually full time for a company.

So I guess the question is how much is freelancing worth?
    Any programming language is at its best before it is implemented and used.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore935
    So I still had pocket money. But not enough to make a living as I work usually full time for a company.
    So I guess the question is how much is freelancing worth?
    It is not what it is, it's what it does for you that sets its importance in your life and therefore its price. So ask yourself what is my customer getting out of this? how will he benefit, and then base your price on giving him that.

I know that sounds a bit cerebral, but basically it nets down to try to evaluate the pottential gain your customer will derive.

Also remember that we buy from the fear of the consequences of not buying.
    Who wants to be the last without something.

Just because creating electronic magic comes easy to you, don't think that for those who don't have your skill it is any less than magic. Someone who you have never met contacts you by e-mail, simply because they saw a few pretty pictures that you made move on a screen! magic! remember it is not what it is, its what it does for you.

Hi again Linda. Sorry that it took me longer than I had planned to get back to your site, but... it's still today.

This time there were no sizing problems or having to scroll to the right to be able to see the page contents. Also, the problem with the small text size has been solved and everything is easy to read. Well done! Everything looks great and I hope the site will bring in many clients.

Trained Monkey
    Many thanks for all your help, Nightcap!

Trained Monkey
    Here they are, my two latest KM masterpieces! Both are still works in progress...

PSSU - Site for a branch of the PA State Union.

Flower Shop - Site for a florist, links not functional (still waiting for owner to decide on an actual domain name).

Your comments are welcome and greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by BenignDesign; 09-12-2007 at 08:54 AM.

what about PSSU it isnt bad, but id say that it is boring... i think you could do something familiar in pure html/css.

what about flower shop, it much more interesting and i really liked that intro its a cool idea btw. graphic could be improved, but i like that site, its stylish and... 'catchy'

and now tell me please what do you pro's think about my 'masterpiece':
    www.mroofka.skr.org.pl/pliki/zaba.html
    the 'KONIEC' means 'THE END'.

Trained Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by ant_Z
    what about PSSU it isnt bad, but id say that it is boring... i think you could do something familiar in pure html/css.
    The problem with clients is that you have to give them what THEY want. I had come up with 4 different designs for this site. The one you see is the one they chose. I have discovered that sometimes it is neccessary to sacrifice creative liberties for the sake of a paycheck

what about flower shop, it much more interesting and i really liked that intro its a cool idea btw. graphic could be improved, but i like that site, its stylish and... 'catchy'
    I thought it was a cool idea, too.. the inspiration hit me while on my front porch watching a flower petal fall off a bush in front of my house. I know the animation could be considerably smoother, but the client (ie, my sister-in-law ) is lolly-gagging on the site, so I refuse to put more work into it until she decides what she's doing. Should she FINALLY decide to put forth some effort, I will do what I can to clean it up.

and now tell me please what do you pro's think about my 'masterpiece':
    www.mroofka.skr.org.pl/pliki/zaba.html
    the 'KONIEC' means 'THE END'.
    Very nice animation. I have just one question: what happened to the poor baby?
    Last edited by BenignDesign; 09-12-2007 at 10:33 AM.

The problem with clients is that you have to give them what THEY want. I had come up with 4 different designs for this site. The one you see is the one they chose. Sometimes you have to sacrifice creative liberties for the sake of a paycheck
    maybe thats why i treat my 'work' more like art... and maybe thats why ive nver did any commercials ;p

I have just one question: what happened to the poor baby?
    everyone asks for it i have absolutely no idea, the scenario was about frog and i had completly no idea what could happen with the baby

I think he's living in Springfield!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stoke Laurie
    I think he's living in Springfield!

so im posting another flashy thing to review www.mat-fiz.nieoficjalnie.pl - what dya think about the intro page?

the 'lyrics' aer translated:

The First thing was Chaos.
    Then there was Education.
    // scene 2, storm
    next thing was high school no2
    if when going there
    you think its normal school
    you are very wrong.
    reality is different.
    weve arleady free our minds
    weve taken the red pill...
    //scene 3
    sounds insteresting?
    go further and learn more
    about school and our class
    take a look in the galleries
    and many more...

=)

New Site Dutch Bluesband

Goodevening Everybody,

I just finished a website for a bluesband. (www.double-b.nl)
    I thought to let you all know.
    By the way, Blanius thanks for helping me out.

Greetings

Rob

Very good looking site.

Well done, good to hear Brown sugar agen!

Very nice site Rob and I like your version of Black Magic Woman.

I do have a few remarks concerning the mail form.

1. It's a nice gesture to site visitors to have the cursor ready and blinking in the first entry field.
    2. The text fields should have a consecutive TAB order.
    3. After typing some text, it's impossible to select that text. The only way to change text is using the Backspace and Del keys. (Goes for all fields)

Placing the cursor in the first field can be done very easily by using ActionScript:
    Code:
    Selection.setFocus(txt1);
    Determining the TAB order of objects in ActionScript:
    Code:
    txt1.tabIndex=1;
    etc.
    I didn't actually send an e-mail so I don't know if there are any rules that check the field entries for input errors.

These are all minor issues, still I thought them to be worth mentioning.