A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Site Check

Getting better day by day.....

A Face Like Thnuder

Thanks to all on the forum for their help.
    Just finished off the new band website: www.aflt.com

A few minor bits still to do, but hey when is website really finished??

no site at that url

Nicely done.

[B]HORNY
    I wish i could do thinx lika that.
    Great in my eyes
    Let me learn from you!
    -always under construction-

I'm sorry to dissapoint you but,, it ain't going nowhere... I don't give a **** what the KM gurus say,,, your site is dead before you even start ,just look at the frigging menu and start again. Sorry for being rude,, but it's the truth,, If you want to make FLASH acceptable to the IT community,,,, then make it acceptable..... not the hash that you want praise for just now. Your own idea may be god in your own eyes but think of the poor sods who have to navigate your indulgencies,,, I gave up after the first menu,,, """ Another customer lost"""..... for god's sake.. can't anyone get it into their head that "flash" isn't the end of the sodding world,,, use it as a tool... not as a sodding web solution.. it's not,,, and all the old users on here will agree with me...... at least 99.99999% of them... we were not born on a sodding xmas tree
    I'm sorry for being so rude,, got hot at a bad moment,,, but I won't detract from my statements... please don't be conned into the full flash page crap... it'll kill your search engine returns,,, make the same page with a good html base and the flash movie embedded and watch your ratings soar... honestly. I really mean it... and by the way... the page is really sweet apart from the 30 min wait-----
    Last edited by gusmus; 06-17-2005 at 11:06 PM. Reason: too many "soddings"
    humanus somes est divinitus in ipsum
    Wiliiam Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by gusmus
    I don't give a **** what the KM gurus say,,,
    I'm sorry for being so rude,,
    ...gosh! It wasn´t just me having a bad night, i think!

Fine work in KM/SWF ... and a plain text version is surely in work i think ;-)

... so letz cool down and relax the show!
    Let me learn from you!
    -always under construction-

Actually,, I'm really sorry about the post,, it was a bit too critical and I'd just finished a non stop 37 hour stint setting up antennas for my new wifi WISP I'm setting up in the mountains so I got home absolutely done in and then had to wade through a slow loading page with very badly thought out menus and such. I still stand by the (flash is only an enhancement) rule because in my opinion that's all it is unless you are a flash movie advertiser or cartoonist. It really does blow your chances of a good search engine result if you are using it as the main web page with nothing alongside it. And even if you don't agree with that then it's fine,, but in that case the page must be fast and furious to make it a cut above the rest. I am fairly indulgent when it comes to waiting for a flash page to open but in general,, 15 seconds is bye bye time and I'm off somewhere else. It's something worth thinking about because there are a lot of impatient people waiting to skip to another page, and they are yout lost customers.
    Wiliiam Wallace

To gusmus,
    are you talking about www.aflt.co.uk ? If so, I have some rebutals.

And i just set up home with wifi. Had no clue to what i was doing but it works and is way more than i need.This is like star trek.
    Any programming language is at its best before it is implemented and used.

Yes that was the one Tim. I just got lost in the site so that I ended up giving up,, the site is really nice but it's too fussy unless you are a lover of puzzles. especially the links and that funny juke box,, probably a nice list of instructions would help. Apart from that I really think the design is excellent and very easy on the eye.

About the WiFi thing. I've had wifi running as a home net for about two years now but behind our village about 1 Km there is a small industrial estate which has no broadband connection so I initially set up a lilypad wisp to give them coverage from my t1 connection and it's worked so well that a residential area in the mountains about 6 Km away have shown interest because they don't even have a phone service so I'm busy setting that up now but as it is NLOS (no line of sight) I'm having to use multi polarized antennas which take up a lot more time in the setting up because quite often your best signal is not a direct line to the next antenna but a reflected signal being bounced from another object or obstacle. It's interesting to say the least lol.
    Wiliiam Wallace

When i was a kid, the thing wanted with the bands was lots of pics and a chance to see a video since there was very little on tv and no mtv. just 8 tracks and records. Mabey a pic out of a magazine. And of course album art. So a flashy site for a rock band seems to me the way to go. But that is only my opinion. As for other online bands like led zeplin or the beatles or the who, they all have poorly designed sites with plenty of mystery meat navigation and menus that go nowhere. Good luck with the wifi and i hope you make some money.

I am starting to put some stuff together for people in my city and could use you or anyones opinions. these are directed towards HOA's communities as a way to post info. The link is following. One site was inspired by a site that you did. They are set up for a cd.

http://www.diversioncentral.com/templates.html

thanks to everyone for your comments - i will discuss all of these with the band. Gusmus - don't worry about posting negative comments, feedback of any sort is helpfull, and i have passed your comments onto the band member who asked me to put the site together for his thoughts as he wanted a totally FLASH site.
    tmoore-well done with your new projects - look great - and thanks again to you for all your help in helping a newbie with putting a couple of muso based sites.

imladris

Imladris,,, as I said,, I really like the site and the design,, My negative comments weren't really so negative,, it really is good,, just make it,, hmmmm ,,, wellll,,,, Better lol. Cheers and good luck with the band,,, From an old Muso to some young ones.
    Wiliiam Wallace

Gusmus,
    Out of interest, what sort of speed connection did you try www.aflt.co.uk on?
    I have just got back from a coupla weeks in France and tried it on a dial up connection (ahhhhhhhhhhh) and it was a bit slow..............
    On my fairly slow broadband connection at home the pages take about 3 to 5 seconds for each page to load, but on the dial up-i admit it was like " go for for a beer and smoke while u wait".
    Also, what problems did you have with the menu - there are only 6 main links with a few sub pages and a very simple media player- very stripped down by today's standard of "million paged band websites".

i'd love to hear your comments as i am a real newbie when it comes to FLASH and would like a shove in the right direction b4 i persuade the band to let me self destruct the site.

Muchas Gracias amigo
    imladris

Hi Imladris. This is just my opinion so take it with a pinch of salted pork lol.

1.. The design is excellent and very easy on the eye.
    2.. My connection is very fast T1 but I have two servers running plus numerous farmed out wifi connections so sometimes the speed drops to about 500Kbs.
    3.. I'm a great believer in simple site navigation in that the end user should know exactly where he/she is within the site and should be able to see some physical proof that the button they have just hit is actually working. Relying on a fade in doesn't do that, especially when the last page was left from a fade in/out. Consider using some method which hits you between the eyes and says "YOU HAVE JUST HIT THE BIOG BUTTON AND IT WORKS". Something obvious.
    4..The scroll on the "Biog" is too slow. I sometimes use auto-scrolling for placing a continuous message if a client wants it but it should be a fairly short message that doesn't take up more space than 1.5 times the scroll window. Consider using buttons for scroll up/down and let the user choose how fast they want to read the text. (Internet users are NOT famed for thier patience).
    5.. The links page looks interesting to say the least but I got lost with all those mouse overs. It's workable as it is but what happens when your links page starts to fill up and you have about 50 different links dancing to your mouses tune?
    6.. The Media Player works fine and the design is nicely original but the texts (volume) etc should be made more legible. It took me a while to figure out that the volume numbers were in fact volume settings and not songs, bandwidth speeds or some other feature of the player. Maybe placing a green level bar underneath the numbers would make it more obvious.
    7.. Always assume that your visitors are going to be brainless idiots (like most of us are) and design your pages to that standard. I usually find that if my 10 year old daughter can't navigate a page comfortably then adults have got no chance at all and I change it.
    (remember that having a computer that works does not signify that you also have a brain that works. " Most people still think that being able to download their e-mails is pretty kool")
    Wiliiam Wallace

My Froggy Boxing Game Site

Hi

I am Dennis Borruso. I am making my first 3d game called froggy boxing.

I made a koolmoves site about it. It will be linked from my main page, which is currently html but will be koolmoves in the future.

Here is the link:

games.3dfrog.com
    Dennis Borruso

www.penguinfrog.com

Redesigned 3dfrog site with koolmoves

Hi

I redesigned my whole site with koolmoves. I still wanna change some of my movie page and links page but this is generally it. I read on here that all flash sites are bad for search engine results so I put it on a html page with some hidden text.

Here it is:
    www.3dfrog.com

Hope u like it.

Comments and criticisms appreciated.

Edit: I redid the movie page.
    Last edited by dborruso; 08-25-2005 at 12:37 PM.
    Dennis Borruso

www.penguinfrog.com

I could not find the frog game itself???

Froggy Boxing will be coming

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore935
    I could not find the frog game itself???
    Froggy Boxing is in progress and should be released by December 2005. It says that on the games info page. I am making this game with 3d gamestudio. I used koolmoves to make the audience animated in the background.
    Dennis Borruso

www.penguinfrog.com

Koolmoves is oke

Hai there,

with the help from several people i managed to get my site done.
    I made it with photoshop and koolmoves.
    The sounds are from the band where i'am playing in.
    anyway, thanks for all the help i think the result is oke.

ha, easy to say that about yourself.

www.rmvos.nl