A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MX can not smoothly rewind video over 35 frames long ??

-----
    So am i doing something out of the ordinary to get my swf video file to load into an empty container movie clip and stream as it loads in
    -----
    no. this seems a common way to load streaming audio or video into the flash player.

To be more clear, the issue for video streaming has to do with where you EMBED the video in the SWF rather than where you load it.

From what Wheels says, you need to embed the video in the main timeline of a SWF for it to stream. You can load the SWF into an empty mc or a level and it will stream the same. Or you can just play it as the main SWF. As long as the video is in the main timeline of a SWF it will stream.

On the other hand if you embed the video in a movie clip of a SWF it will not stream at all regardless of how you load it.

This is the exact same behavior as stream sync sounds.

Originally posted by gilesb
    So am i doing something out of the ordinary to get my swf video file to load into an empty container movie clip and stream as it loads in

This is what happens, in fact i dont think i have ever loaded into a level!!!!

I preload a certain percentage, but then the rest appears to stream in perfectly fine, is this not meant to happen??

gilesb
    You're doing it right. I have been loading to levels only, and may have muddied the issue with my conflicting statements.

The only time there is a problem with streaming is when the video is contained in a movie clip within the library of either the main movie or the imported .swf.

I was racking my brain last night trying to figure out where I turned the corner and began using levels instead of targeting movie clips. I realized that I began using levels when I was building my last site.

I wanted the flexibility to place different size movies on the stage and have control over where they were placed based on their size. There is no easy way to determine the size of an external .swf until it has actually appeared on the stage, this made it more difficult to relocate the empty target MC on the fly.

I have been placing my movies on levels and positioning them to center on an invisible target window in the main movie. I now realize I may have given bad advice in the past using the loadMovie() method to target MC's and stream using that method.

Both methods work equally well as long as the imported video is not embedded in a movie clip. I appologize for any confusion I may have created on this issue.

hp3 said: Just out of curiousity, what happens if you have a video with no sound track, will it stream from both mc or main timeline? (I wonder if the sound is some how determining the load process).
    Sounds like it's worth taking a look at, I'll try to test it some time today.

I've been trying to come up with a better method for the rewind button, but I don't think there is a workaround - none that I can come up with anyway.

I remember reading that Flash has to recalculate where it is at everytime you make a reference to the _currentframe with video. It has to go back to frame 1 and then calculate where that frame would be located. It's not a literal reference, like most Flash content. That's why you only see one keyframe for a flash video. It's like a container for all the data.

I believe that may be why these rewind methods don't work well and begin to bog down with larger movies. Every time you call the prevFrame() or _currentframe-5; Flash ends up having to make multiple calculations then display the content that would corelate to that frame.

Just my theory.

Now that is very interesting about the rewind issue....

-----------------------------
    That's why you only see one keyframe for a flash video. It's like a container for all the data.
    -----------------------------

I have noticed that

i brought the MX encoded video into actionscript viewer to look at the timeline and yep there is only one key frame

With Flash 3 - 5 encodes there is a series of jpgs as key frames, but not in MX encodings

So then, why do you think that the fast forwarding works with the "_currentFrame" reference and not the rewinding?

gilesb

??

webtv help

Hello Wheels, we're putting up right now a webtv in Paris, France. I've done the site in Flash MX, but all my videos right now opens up in a simple pop up. I could use some help to insert those videos directly on the website, and have them read from their. Could you please indicate me where i can contact you to discuss in which you could help us.