A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro reanimation contest WIP

That's a pity Gary, it looked like you'd made a really good start

sspskater:
    Thanks for the comment

Rather than post here everyday I'll just update everyone when something major is put in the game. In saying that I'm trying to u/l an updated version every day ( I think it's the only way I'm going to get it done in a month ) so if you want just keep checking the link on the first page ( Hopefully all the weapons will be in and working sometime today ).

Squize.

Originally posted by RipX
    Hi people,

Little bit of bad news i'm affraid, I am dropping out of this competition due to time restrictions, I've not done anything on this since the first couple of days, perhaps i'll continue it at another stage but for now i'm going to leave it! I will keep checking on your progress though so good luck everyone!

I decided to work on my own scrolling platformer similar to Mario World in Flash as I really want to make a serious flash game so I can write a book about its concepts, progress and techniques.

RipX
    this is a shame

ive been working on kid icarus, so naturally i need to develop a platform engine, i am... and making it more advanced than kid icarus...then cut bits out, that way i can use the engine afterwards to make a more original game. ive got really far, i got the collision perfect and just writing the scrolling, so if you need a hand... benney.1@ntlworld.com

[m]

Originally posted by mbenney

ive been working on kid icarus, so naturally i need to develop a platform engine, i am... and making it more advanced than kid icarus...then cut bits out, that way i can use the engine afterwards to make a more original game. ive got really far, i got the collision perfect and just writing the scrolling, so if you need a hand... benney.1@ntlworld.com

[m]
    I'll have that engine!
    - Lukstr

I'm not in this competition anymore so I'm talking from a unbias view, but surly a movie downloading an engine from the flashkit movie section then adding your sprites can't be entered in this competition, it should be all your own work!

RipX

RipX: Movie? what are you talking about?
    - Lukstr

Someone said they had the source to a bomberman movie or something? Maybe i'm mistaken!!

mbenny - My email is playing up so I can't email you, i'd love for you to explain your scripts though! Because I can't work my email I set up a thread:

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=401155

RipX

I want mbenney's tile based engine
    - Lukstr

Just to try and clarify things, you can use other peoples code in your game. In theory you could just use someone else's game and just put your own graphix and SFX in it.

The point is that all entries have to release the fla at the end of the contest, so if you have just cutted and pasted it's going to kinda show up.

Squize.

lol, wish i'd known that at the beginning! never mind!

mbenny, I've got a tempory new email address HERE! If you could send your project stuff there?!

RipX

Just thought I'd post an update.

The start of the pre-loader is in, but still a little bit buggy ( I'm hoping to do the full mix-e-load from the original, time permitting).
    All the "visible" weapons are in and working. One alteration is that my laptop keyboard doesn't like certain key combinations so it's rigged for auto fire at the moment.
    I've halved the speed of the scrolling background 'cause the player was struggling a bit with it. If I speed my code up I'll restore it back to it's true speed.
    Started the title screen. I'm not a 100% happy with the fade on the logo yet ( The C64 didn't have alpha, it just cycled through shades of grey, so I'm using tint and a scripted brightness function ).
    I've written a simple sid player function which allows you to run 3 seperate voices ( Like a real sid, the sound chip in a C64 ). Using this I've managed to chop up the samples ( For the title music ) to play them back. I should hopefully be able to get the whole title screen music in about a 100k ( As opposed to around 500k if it was just an mp3 ). I'm about halfway through the notes for the lead voice so you'll notice it goes a little bit wonky before looping again.

I think I may be omitting both the 2 player option and the hi-score table ( It'll be displayed, just won't work ). The main reason for the high score table is that the original used raster interupts to colour the sprites but on Flash I'm left with the options of:
    a) Having four different coloured character sets ( Overkill )
    b) Splitting each bitmap up into it's three colours and then tinting them ( Painfully boring )
    c) Just using one colour scheme ( Which would just be wrong ).
    Also there won't be any in-game music ( Even cutting up simple samples using Acid is soul destroying ).

http://www.shoah.co.uk/pages/beta/delta/delta.html

Let me know what you think so far ( I imagine it's tricky 'cause no one seems to have played this. If you've got the original but it's stuck in your loft ( ) d/load it from www.c64.com and the WinVice emulator ).

Anyone else got anything to post yet ?

Squize

Nicely done Squize. It's coming along great.
    A young mind is more knowledgable then a mind corrupted and blinded by society.

Portfolio: My Portfolio
    FFGuardians:PHP MMORPG(Closed Beta)
    PyroWare Studios:PyroWare Studios-Flash&Web Development

Thanks m8.

I'm hoping to have some baddies flying around by some time tomorrow.

Squize.

i need to make a tile engine!
    - Lukstr

Check out either my scroller http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=397131 so you can just rip out the tile plotting functions or even better check http://outsideofsociety.idz.net/

Squize.

I was just looking at that site, copying the Yugop Matrix.
    - Lukstr

just thought id pop in i promise ill have something to show for myself soon and id like to say no code has been copied and pasted, also, i 0wn j00, so ner.

squize
    looking good so far, art based?

tomsamson
    where are you? any WIP to show yet?

id also like to publicly thank marmotte for being a cool fella and sending me the mcs of the sprites hed already ripped, saving me a lot of mindless labour

[m]

id also like to publicly thank marmotte for being a cool fella and sending me the mcs of the sprites hed already ripped, saving me a lot of mindless labour
    ^^

(i'm just expecting a perfect conversion)

...and sorry, i haven't the edMack's example you mentioned in your mail.

Originally posted by mbenney

just thought id pop in i promise ill have something to show for myself soon and id like to say no code has been copied and pasted, also, i 0wn j00, so ner.

squize
    looking good so far, art based?

tomsamson
    where are you? any WIP to show yet?
    [m]

to squize: hey that looks like it´s going to stick really close to the original,cool.

to mbenney: funny pic
    i check at least one time a day for a minute to look how things are going here on fk but am packed with stuff to do,so i want have something to show before the end of the next week.

hehe, its the gayest cat ive ever seen

mbenny:
    Yeah, art based. I did have my horizontal scroller in there but it was overkill for this.
    You've got some real hetro cat action going on there

tomsamson:
    Thanks. I'm looking forward to your game...

To people just browsing:
    I've started putting in the baddies using OOP. I'm storing each segment of an attack wave as a seperate array using run length encoding to reduce the memory overhead. Each segment is then stored in another array, which is then stored in a multidimensional array within the baddie class.

That sounds so impressive. If I actually knew how OOP worked, and how to get my code working it would be a lot more impressive

Expect either an update tomorrow, or in about a week depending on how I get on.

Squize.