A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: controling time line of.....

controling time line of.....

Scenerio:

I have a movie clip (on _root)...that acts as a 'transition'/tween preloader...and has a frame action to load an external.swf into a 'container' MC on _root.

Question:

Is there anyway to affect the timeline in the loaded movie clip.

Basically I just want to start the external.swf playing.

Two possible solutions:

1. In the external.swf put a stop action in frame...(and start is somehow from _root (or the transition_MC)

2.Put a stop action in frame 1 of the container clip...the somehow start it playing.

Would any of these work??

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks

-whispers-

I would target the container mc's instance name and use something like:

Code:
    _root.instanceName.gotoAndPlay("framelabel");

Thanks.....but if I have a stop action in the first frame of the 'container' MC (which I think you are talking about)..will that stop the external.swf that loads into it from playing, until the action is given to play ("framelabel")?

I ask because when my button "triggers' my 'transistion' MC to play..(it has a preloader getting the bytesLoaded of the 'conatainer' clip) it has a frame action the load the external.swf into the 'container' MC.

Thanks.

-whispers-

To prevent the new movie playing until some action is called from the main movie, eg

if (_root.instanceName.getBytesLoaded() == _root.instanceName.getBytesTotal()) {
    _root.instanceName.play();
    }

then you would need the stop() action to be in the new swf file itself, not in the clip it is loaded into.

Heres the thing though. I have my 'transition' MC (on _root level as well...same as 'container' MC) that starts to play from an action on a button (also on _root)..the 'transition' then "tweens" in (around 20 frames we'll say)..then has a stop action. In this frame I have my preloader MC (loading bar) that gets the bytesLoaded/Total of the 'container' MC (which will hold the external.swf)...I also have a frame action that will load external.swf into 'container' MC.

My preloader then checks to see if all bytes are loaded...and then plays the 'outro' "tween" revealing the new loaded 'content' underneath.

What I want to do is..basically, on the last frame of the 'transition' MC have a frame action that will start the external.swf (that is now loaded into 'container' MC) to paying.

Frame action:
    _root.container.gotoAndPlay(2);

Hope this explains it a little better. Thanks for your time I appreciate it.

-whispers-
    Last edited by whispers; 12-04-2002 at 03:07 PM.

Hi,

Is the the type of thing you are looking for?

tween plays in, runs a preloader, tween plays out, loaded movie gets started.

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2...oadtoclip.html

Feel free to download the zip file, I think you're on the right track though