A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Constant Pool Tags

Constant Pool Tags

Hi all-

I'm a programmer working on a project which must be able to parse SWF files. I am having trouble with the "Constant Pool" action. First, the Flash 6 file format document from Macromedia says the action simply contains a "string." That clearly isn't correct, as it doesn't match the Constant Pool action in the SWF file I'm testing against.

Next, every bit of publicly available code I've seen parses this action as containing a 16 bit "count" value, followed by that many strings. This is closer to the truth, as the actual action in my test file does begin this way. However, following this is a series of other bytes which don't parse correctly and appear to be garbage.

My questions are:

-- is "Constant Pool" really defined this way?
    -- if so, what could account for the data immediately following the "Constant Pool" action?

I can supply the test SWF file, and the .fla it came from, if that would help.

Thanks for your time,

Bob Bell

Super Moderator
    I recommend that you look at the Ming code. I have found it most helpful in understanding difficult tags.

caithness massiv
    aside from the strings (i assume you're seeing those anyway) i think i remember something about there also being a byte0 and byteN thrown in there as well.... i didn't quite get it either because the count value is all you really need with the constantPool ( already knowing the tag length, knowing the actual byteN of the strings isn't necessarily better imho )

caithness massiv