A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Flash Kit stealing ideas??

Originally posted by bergen
    mentaleruptions:

I dont give a rats ass if people here like me or not.

Oeyvind
    I neither like or dislike you. I am merely offerring you alternatives to your suggestion that FK is stealing your ideas. I didn't look at your files, I offered an alternative perspective based on common sense. It seems that you are too arrogant to accept any alternative to your theories or to look at this objectively.

Aother alternative is that until recently the site hadn't been updated for months (a fact that is well documented in various thread on FK if you'd taken the time to invetsigate before jumping to conclusions). john was concentrating his resource on a) upgrading the board and b) upgrading the servers the board runs on. You may or may not notice that the boards are now running infinitely faster.

Why did john prioritise this over including your FLAs?

Because FK ran like a dog and we were losing members. In business terms and in order of FK community importance your FLA submisson ranked slightly below the need to install pinball machines in the FK toilet.

Now that the board is running smoothly and the community as a whole are appeased FK can focus they're efforts on the movies section.

There has been talk of doing a reveiw of what we have and clearing out the less savoury files. There is talk of having an approval system whereby files are approved or rejected based on the opinion of three mods.

But hey, you probably don't want to know that, safe in your knowledge that FK steals FLAs.
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

swampy:

Well, on YOUR theories: So "John" prioritised upgrading this and that eh? Well enough...

What you actually say here on this forum is that FK sends rejection-emails based on whether they at the present time are busy or not?????

I.e. that after people send in samples of their hard (and less hard) work in the belief that they will get a fair review FK is likely to send them down the drain without even looking at them ?????

Is that really the attitude at FK ??? In busy times the importance of people`s submissions is ranked slightly below the need for pinball machines in the FK toilet ????

If this is the case I really think you should post your reply on every forum on this site, seriously. All members/nonmembers should know this. I really think they would think twice before ever bother to submit anything to FK again.

If your theory is correct FK has no respect whatsoever for people contributing to the site.

Holy cow, and I though I was the insulting bad guy here !!!!
    http://home.online.no/~oeyvtoft/ToftWeb/
    http://home.online.no/~oeyvtoft/ToftWeb/html/frameset/3d.htm
    http://home.online.no/~oeyvtoft/ToftWeb/html/frameset/flash.htm

mullet king
    1) John already said he looked at them

2) What are you talkin about pinball machines and toilets for?

3) You didnt get accepted, take it like a man. If you start moaning each time your designs arent accepted in this business, I doubt you'll go far*

*I dont want to know how high up you are or who you've done work for

Someone please close the thread, its annoying and is just escalating now...

swampy:

I.e. that after people send in samples of their hard (and less hard) work in the belief that they will get a fair review FK is likely to send them down the drain without even looking at them ?????
    nope I'm saying that the site was in such as state that if work wasn't done on it then there would be no site for you to moan about.

Is that really the attitude at FK ??? In busy times the importance of people`s submissions is ranked slightly below the need for pinball machines in the FK toilet ????
    nope, see above. In times where the whole site is liable to fall over submisions are ranked slightly below the need for pinball machines in the FK toilet. The main priority will, unfortunatley for you, be on keeping the main site up and working. to me that makes sense. Call me selfish but I would rather see the site working than your FLA included in the movies section.

In any business there are finite resources. This is a free site run for free for you to use as a free resource. This site has finite resources. You seem to be confusing it wuith a site that personally owes you something in the way of service that you have paid for.

Like I said in my previous post now that the site is actually functionaing properly we are currently looking at clearing out the deadwood and improving the submissons system.

What more can I say. the site was in danger of falling over, it was fixed and now it is improving. Sorry if you were affected in any way by this temporary lapse.

like I say I am trying to offer you alternative reasons why your files weren't included but you just keep perpetuating this myth that FK has a personal vendetta against you and is somehow ripping you off.

I give up, perhaps they werent up to standard afterall.
    Last edited by swampy; 12-13-2002 at 11:11 AM.
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

Originally posted by mx_kid

2) What are you talkin about pinball machines and toilets for?

that was my sad attempt at humour.

swampy:

What this story about FK almost falling over has to do with me getting rejection - ëmails from FK beats me. Is the quality of my work interdependent on the state of affairs at FK?

If there has been no time to review my work how come I get those emails ??

In times of crisis they just send rejection emails an mass?

That is in fact what you say, whether you see it or not.

mx_kid: Well, mx_kid, I`ll give you an advice to avoid getting annoyed by this tread - STAY OUT OF IT FOR GODS SAKE !!!!!!!!!

Is there some magnetic force acting on people on this forum??? Dragging them to the treads they say are futile, useless and they hate???

I know I`m not entitled to any freebees around here but could someone, anyone please please do me the favour of explaining this very strange fenomenon ??????????

It takes some people only a few mins to reply to my posts. Why on earth do they watch this tread so closely while at the same time disliking it so much????

Dont people have lives outside this board?????

Oeyvind

mullet king
    mx_kid: Well, mx_kid, I`ll give you an advice to avoid getting annoyed by this tread - STAY OUT OF IT FOR GODS SAKE !!!!!!!!!

Is there some magnetic force acting on people on this forum??? Dragging them to the treads they say are futile, useless and they hate???

I know I`m not entitled to any freebees around here but could someone, anyone please please do me the favour of explaining this very strange fenomenon ??????????

It takes some people only a few mins to reply to my posts. Why on earth do they watch this tread so closely while at the same time disliking it so much????

Dont people have lives outside this board?????

Oeyvind
    Because you posted it in the wrong forum and I replied in there, so now I get an email with every damn reply, and I am sick of the whole thing, you are so petty!!! I looked at the stupid dancing thing and why would I download that?!

mx_kid:

Oh dear, poor you...Have you ever heard about deleting emails you dont want? You dont have to read them nor follow any link or anything you know.

Its actually up to you !!! Isnt that good news !!!

Oeyvind

mullet king
    I bow to your superior wisdom

So..Ya...Thought...Ya might want to go to the show..
    Feel that warm confusion..
    That orange and blue glow...

Dun..dun..dun..dun..dun
    Wash My Dirty Mouth

mullet king
    *pulls megatoon's finger

Civilian
    Bergen, I looked at the dancer and the paint program on your site. It appears both were rejected because of the description.

1) I can't recall ever seeing the dancer. I don't even look at the FLA if the description won't work.

2) The paint program - I think I've seen this one. Among the several others that I've rejected. If this is the one I remember, I rejected it because I couldn't get it to work, using the example you provided, and there was no explanation on how it works. I just now played with it and figured it out.

I check 70-100 movies per week. So it's hard to pin every one of them down. If I spent 10 minutes on each one, we'd never have the new boards, or the site converted to php, etc.

I've also skimmed this thread, please play nice, everyone. I don't think any of us can take the accusation that we are stealing FLAs seriously.

jstartkey:

I appreciate finally getting something that resemble a to the point reply.

My description of the Dancer: "Bodyparts can be dragged. Click numbers to make him dance. Plan to create audio later"

Admittedly not an exeptional description. But at the same time as receiving the rejections I`ve seen worse cases, also in the new section. The strangest thing is that of the 3 movies you DID accept, 2 of them hardly have a description at all !!!

No explanation on how my Math.animation works???

Well, my Math.animation loads with an entire page generally describing the movie. The page also point to the fact that there is tooltips on EVERY feature in the main movie. Cant be that hard to figure it out can it ????

I have no doubt that your work of checking movies can be difficult, having limited time for it.

However, I believe the Flash community is full of VERY dedicated people, each and everyone loving this software and spending a LOT of time on their experiments and work. This forum/site wouldnt be up on their arms about my posts if they didnt love BOTH Flash AND Flash Kit.

That makes Flash Kit an important forum.

But with this comes responsebility, responsebility to treat those Flash lovers in a fair and professional manner.

Its not just you who are doing your best to make this a good forum.

There are users who spend most of their spare time creating Flash stuff. They are generous and share their stuff and knowledge. And therefore they deserve something back.

If reviewing and choosing among submissions cant be done properly and
    with care, there should be no option to submit material at all.

And with a zillion flashers out there it must be possible to delegate
    the work of reviewing in a time of crisis/updates ?

Flash Kit is too important to the communety to leave it more or less to chance.

NB. If you put so much emphasis on the description, why dont you clearly state what you generally want it to contain?

Oeyvind

Civilian
    [B]
    My description of the Dancer: "Bodyparts can be dragged. Click numbers to make him dance. Plan to create audio later"
    [B]
    The only reasonable search term available in that description is "dance".

Admittedly not an exeptional description. But at the same time as receiving the rejections I`ve seen worse cases, also in the new section. The strangest thing is that of the 3 movies you DID accept, 2 of them hardly have a description at all !!!
    Yeah, I won't claim to be perfect. If I only missed 3 or so out of the 4 hundred per month, that's still a reasonable margin of error. Not intentional though.

Well, my Math.animation loads with an entire page generally describing the movie. The page also point to the fact that there is tooltips on EVERY feature in the main movie. Cant be that hard to figure it out can it ????
    How many people are going to spend the time?

I have no doubt that your work of checking movies can be difficult, having limited time for it.

But with this comes responsebility, responsebility to treat those Flash lovers in a fair and professional manner.
    The amount of bytes we put out each month is astronomical. We have to find ways to trim that down. One is to push the descriptions so that people don't have to open the page to view it.

I also think you misunderstand my point regarding the time. As a webdesigner I'm sure you know that you only have a few seconds to grab a viewers attention. When I validate the submissions, I have to do so from the viewer's perspective, among many others.

There are users who spend most of their spare time creating Flash stuff. They are generous and share their stuff and knowledge. And therefore they deserve something back.

If reviewing and choosing among submissions cant be done properly and
    with care, there should be no option to submit material at all.
    Please see above clarification.

And with a zillion flashers out there it must be possible to delegate
    the work of reviewing in a time of crisis/updates ?
    The whole submission and validation process is being rewriten over the coming months. This is one thing we want to add. There is also a system that allows mods to vote on submissions. Once that's a little more implemented, I'll make it another entry on the site - to help offset the bots that are rating submissions. Etc, etc.

NB. If you put so much emphasis on the description, why dont you clearly state what you generally want it to contain?
    Here's the note on the submissions page:

"Note: Please be thorough with your descriptions, using accurate keywords and telling us what sets your FLA apart from the others. This will make it much easier for users to find your FLA when searching the database and provide you with more hits."

What do you think I should add?

This is wonderful. I have seen some useless threads on FK, but this must take the cake. Obviously, this is an issue that should remain between Bergen and Admin. And, obviously, Bergen desperately wants to belong to the FK Community despite his claims. Has this thread been closed yet?

My apologies for getting into this, but I felt like being a part of something special. Sorry John

gdstudios:

Actually, you do your best to keep it alive by posting to it.
    How stupid are you FK guys out there?? The question concerning keeping it between me and FK is answered ages ago. Before posting that brilliant conclusion of yours in this tread, why dont you first read it??

Desperately wanting to belong to the FK community? Thats a good one gdstudio. In the answers to this tread I`ve seen a display of lacking intelligence, lacking willingness to READ, and a stunning lack of ability to write. It seem to me this community consist of 13-14 olds.
    I dont mind kids but I must say I`m not very desperate to belong to a community of those.

You may disagree totally in my views in this tread, but PLEASE show some intelligence in your posts - OR KEEP OUT !!!

Really this is me..... mentaleruptions's Avatar
    Damn i wish someone would close this post im still getting emails lol. Bergens right this post ended a while back so why open it again with posting. Read the thread yeah, but post, no it only sends out emails to people. Bergen i guess u should ask fk to close this thread or even better u can just delete it from ur very first post then no one can post at all cause it will remove the entire thread from the board . Hows norway going anyway i had a friend go live there after she married some guy never been but would love to visit some day. Im uk born but living in the usa .

Happy new year.

Mental

My Flashkit Submited Movies:
    Guestbook: V.1.0 V.1.2 V.1.3 V.1.4 PHP Mail Form: V.1.0
    My Deviantart page: Link

Hello mentaleruptions.

You`re one of the few who showed intelligence in the answers to my posts. I know you dont agree to my conclusions but at least you granted me my right to ask my questions and have them answered intelligently. God that was refreshing !!!

I lost interest in this tread long ago, and didnt intend to post more.
    Sorry that you receive emails when someone is brilliant enough to reopen it by stating it should be closed. (Yes, its kinda funny)

Norway is going fine thanks, except its winter and winter in Norway is not much fun. Rain, snow, and both at the same time. Still, it makes a good excuse for sitting indoors on ones fat ass doing Flash stuff.

If you ever go here make sure its summertime !!!!

Take care

Oeyvind

Not a very good way to treat the person that designed some of Norway's best commercial websites. http://www.norway.org and http://www.coastalvoyage.com

Señor member
    For those who are simply posting in this feedback thread for the hell of it and saying they're getting notifications, please log into your user cp and you will see a list of subscribed threads. Delete the ones you do not wish to recieve emails from and presto, no more notifications.

Please don't use the notifications as an excuse to bash people who are still asking for clarification on something.

Bergen, I'd suggest this issue is now dead and as the author of the thread (below the last post on a page - admin options - close thread), you can close it and any further correspondence on this issue should be taken up with the websmaster@flashkit.com email address.