A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: PHP problem revisited...

always for rent

PHP problem revisited...

ok, i checked the sticky about the PHP not working and don't seem to have any of those problems.
    here is the php info, just in case it will help:
    http://www.sitterservice.net/info.php

now, i recently posted a question about PHP and flash where flash was telling me that there was an error opening the URL to the PHP script. i changed everything to POST where there was a lot of information to pass, and i even created an empty movie clip that stores the variables to be sent and variables to be received.
    i was having trouble retrieving data, but that problem was fixed. then there was a problem with the update, and the PHP guy who works for me fixed that.
    now here is what's happening:
    i can retrieve the data as many times as i like, it works over and over again. BUT, when i do the update and try to retrieve the updated information it doesn't work.
    this happens every time.
    now here is my big question:
    what should i be looking for? errors in flash or errors in PHP?
    i know that you won't be able to solve my problem specifically as the software i am building is pretty involved, i am just wondering what a good process to follow is for debugging the two technologies as they are working together.
    oh, and i am stuck with working in flash 5 for this project.
    thank you all again for your time, i really appreciate your help as you have already saved me a lot of time with this.

jeremy

Hi,

try to add anti-cache headers to everything that php sends to your movie.
    If it still does not work, temporary replace loadvariables by geturl so you can check whether the updated value shows up in the browser
    Doublecheck whether you are waiting for data loaded

Musicman

always for rent
    the variables are loaded, and i am using anti-cache headers. here is what i think MIGHT be happening:
    the PHP script is executing the commands, and sending the variables even thought the commands are not finished executing.
    example:
    first part of PHP checks for login name.
    second part takes passed variables and updates the DB where the login mathces.
    third part prints 'sStatus=update%20successful&zLoad=1'.

so, what i think is happening is that the third part is happening too fast. like before the information is finished updating or something.
    is that a possibility? how does the flash player know when a script is done running? this enigmatic problem hopefully doesn't exist in flash mx as i will be updating the site in mx after the holidays.
    thanks again Musicman, your input is greatly appreciated!
    jeremy

Hi,

there normally should be no reason for flash to "guess" any script runtimes...
    Flash simply sends some data to the server and waits for a response. It should not do further business with the server until the response is received

Musicman

always for rent

OMG test movie!

ok, the errors that i have been experiencing are only in the publishing environment. when the swf's are running in the browser the error does not exist. i don't know why this is.
    i found this out over on the kirupa forums (www.kirupa.com).
    i just have to laugh at myself for trusting the flash 5 testing environment.
    thanks yet again for your help with this.
    jeremy