A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: anybody familiar with photoshop?

anybody familiar with photoshop?

...I need some help with adobe photoshop elements....

I am a newbie with adobe and I am using adobe to make banners... I am trying to achieve a merge "blending" effect like this Jaguar banner:

http://www.jaguar.com/us
    You might have to click one of the thumbnail to go to the page

I couldn't find the proper tutorial online, Anybody could give me the hint, would save me time!

Thank you !
    Last edited by 3dsounds; 12-26-2002 at 09:16 PM.

hi

I moved your thread to the Design forum

thanks
    a
    We're médecins sans frontières. More about us here

thanks! I wasn't sure where I was supposed to post this non-flash thread

no worries - we usually get all the PS questions here

a
    We're médecins sans frontières. More about us here

HI

If you want a blend of color say grey to green like on the top of the jaguar home page. make a sepatate layer. make a selection the size you would like and use the gradient tool to fill the selection. make sure the two colrs u want to use are the foreground and brackground colors on your palette squares. the gradient tool is with the paint bucket.

i am not sure what adobe elements has and does not have compared to photoshop. hopefully that helped a bit
    typpos rule

sorry again... thanks for your reply, what I am trying to achieve is like the banner that shows up on the page when you click on one of the car thumbnails... it's like 2 pictures blended together with some gradient in the middle... I did what you said but there is no blend, just a gradient square in between the two pics. Or did I misunderstand?

Photoshop elements is similar to photoshop, just more user friendly (let's say for dummies like me)

I attached a .psd file I zipped.Don't know if this file opens in photoshop.Just try it.It's quet simple to make.
    If you have a look at the file you'll see how it's done.
    First of make a fill, let's say green like the jaguar site.
    Make a new layer.In this layer make a lineair gradient from black to white.If you look at the layer palet you'll see a button that stands on normal ,place this to multiply.This way the white gets filterd.For the other gradient you start of making an elips,use transform scale it a bit,rotate a bit.Just like U want it.use this selcetion by uzing the wizard.Make a new layer and fill it with a gradient from black to white.This time drag the gradient vertical.
    now place it on multiply.Now you can change the opacity of the gradients just like U want.Of course all I'm telling is for photoshop.If I where you I'd use photoshop instead of elements.
    Photoshop is quete simple to use.

If u still have problems of some sort let me know.Would be glad to help out.
    Grtzz
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for taking your time to help me.. But This is the effect I am trying to achieve.. The blending of the two pics with gradient in the middle I am wasting so much time on this... I am going nuts! Should have learned adobe long ago!

Tell me wat size you want .Give the required images.and the color you want.And I'll post you back.Promis.I'll make a psd and the jpg for it.
    could take a few hours when I post back but promis to help you out.Just going out to see some movie.

Here from you soon.

Grtzz,

Modulator.

hi
    all i see is two pics of cars one on the right and one on the left. there is some sort of gradient in the middle. the background behind the car on the left has motion to it. which may have been a photo taken that way, or a photo where the a motion blur filter was applied to it. the gradient in the middle looks like it was created with three sections of color. the outer two being the same color and a lighter one in the middle.

you could also take three squares rotate them the way you would like them and use the blur tool to get rid of the hard edges.

i suggest playing with the gradient tool and layers to achieve the effect. playing with the tools in photoshop or elements is probably the best way to learn.

typpos rule

i hope this will help

the main things are the pictures the two cars , start with a transparent layer

* paste your car
    * use a rubber , and the brush settings should be in 0 hardness and if u like increase the diametre

* on the sides start rubbib=ng from a little far and u shold get a very good blend

* under the layer add a good gradient

hope it helps !!!

here's a little example. a really basic one.

my example is probably an easier way of doing it, but you can also use the "prateek way", it should give you more flexibility ! =)

oops, here'S the attachment !

Attached Images Attached Images

DontLikeFlash's example is a great way of doing it. after making the two layers of the gradient you can merge the two layers and then rotate the object to the angle that you would like it to have.
    typpos rule

I've never used elements so I don't know how exactly it would work, but if I were to do something like this in photoshop I would use something called a transparency mask. Basically the way it works is that photoshop takes a grayscale input (for instance a gradient from black to white) and calculates the layer's transparency based on how light or dark the mask is. I think white is completely transparent and black is completely opaque, although it could be the opposite (I can never remember). Anyway what you do is take to layers each with a different image and put a transparency mask on the top layer with a black to white gradient so it creates a smooth blend from one image to another. You could also put a mask on the second layer and have a third lower layer show though, and so on and so on ad infinity. Try looking it up in the help section of elements.
    Another way you could do it is to make a selection with the lasso tool or what ever around your image, invert the selection so it selects everything except what you want to keep, and feather the hell out of it. (a larger feather will create a longer blend) Then delete everything in the selection. The added bonus to this is that you don't have to rely on purely radial or linear blends. Although I prefer the former method to the latter.
    Hope this helps,
    Matt