A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: fireworks mx....any good for grafix?

Danny Gomez Creations ® cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin

fireworks mx....any good for grafix?

I dig macromedia and the mx family, so I got fireworks mx to work with the grafix. But Whatever I do, I found it better to use photoshop. Is this becouse I dont know the program good enough or is fireworks really usefull only for site layouts?
    Whats your opinion of using fireworks as a grafic editor?
    ..:: P S Y T O P I A 2 0 0 5 :::..
    . . . view the psytopia reels _____RIVEND REEL | GOMEZ REEL_____ . . . . . . . . . . .

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    I think it's cool for vector stuff, but my preference happens to be photoshop. I think ultimately they are two different animals. I would say Fireworks compares more well with Illustrator than Photoshop.

Alrighty, but illustrator is allso a wilder, 'better', animal than fireworks... or isnt it?
    . . . view the psytopia reels _____RIVEND REEL | GOMEZ REEL_____ . . . . . . . . . . .

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    I'm really not very familiar with illustrator, but I heard it's generally more powerful than fireworks... don't quote me on that though.

Originally posted by serpent star
    I'm really not very familiar with illustrator, but I heard it's generally more powerful than fireworks... don't quote me on that though.
    wops! sorry, I couldnt hold myself.

fireworks is like imageready but less crappy, really.

it is good for optimization, some vector work, etc, but if you are going for a vector program, i'd say illustrator, or freehand (illustrator would be better because of the support available for it)

fireworks is a cool program, but as far as making cool graphics, photoshop can do pretty much everything it can do in that department, but photoshop lacks the array of exporting and optimization that fireworks has.

I've come to the point where I use them (Photoshop and Fireworks) almost interchangably - I don't think either is a clear winner.

Photoshop has familiarity going for it - I had to re-learn things in Fireworks that I knew how to do in Photoshop. But Fireworks MX is much better than Fireworks 4.

Fireworks (as has been indicated) does have better export options. And I really like the image slicing capabilities when exporting stuff for the web.

As I understand it, Fireworks and the new version of Photoshop can work with vectors - I still prefer Illustrator.

Originally posted by serpent star
    I think it's cool for vector stuff, but my preference happens to be photoshop. I think ultimately they are two different animals. I would say Fireworks compares more well with Illustrator than Photoshop.

I wasnt that keen on version 4 - i played with it cos it came free with my Director copy but other than that I was still working mainly with PS.

Now the MX version is another beast altogether with great improvements in:
    Workspace/graphic design & production/Code creation/integration and easy switch from bitmap-editing mode to vector-editing mode

..still i cant help thinking that is very much underused by the design community.

a
    We're médecins sans frontières. More about us here

Banned
    i use fireworks
    i like it
    bye

it depends on what you're doing - for web graphics sure it and photoshop may be interchangeable, but for most graphics, i think photoshop is the winner.

maybe im just having trouble getting into this 'object-oriented graphics' thing.