A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: My first flash site ever... not good but crit please

My first flash site ever... not good but crit please

Hey everyone this is my first post and I would just like to say I appreciate all of you who are about to crit/comment my site. Before you do remember its not done and it is my first flash site...

Hope you think its semi decent.

www.JoshClancy.com

Thanks
    J.
    JoshClancy
    me@joshclancy.com

Nice!

Looks pretty good.A couple of things..

Why is the html set up as a frame? I usually try to avoid frames whenever possible and it doesnt seem as though you really require them.

I have my monitor set at 1152 x 864 and I had to scroll to view the bottom of the page. There seems to be a bit of spare space at the top of the swf that could be used.

Keep up the good work!
    "I like the way he calls himeself Yngwie J. Malmsteen... just so you don't get him mixed up with all the other Yngwie Malmsteen's" (David St. Hubbins - Spinal Tap)

It's nice to see another colour scheme other than the usual blue/gray! I also like the font you used... the design looks completely different from the 'basic' webpage of today. How refreshing! I think it is always important for designers to come up with new concepts instead of regurgitating the old stuff.

I think the hit on the small scrolling arrows is a bit small.

It's nice to see a designer about the same age as me around aswell.

odzox.
    "Touché!"

Looks very nice. Great (unconventional) use of colors. The imagery goes quite well with the overall feel. Navigation is uncomplicated.

A couple of small suggestions - Instead of saying "Welcome, please select a destination above.", which is sort-of stating the obvious, I would rather see a line about your design style / philosophy etc. Also you might like to consider removing the tint on the image of the crystal ball, the natural colors might add a some more life to the page.

You're 16! Wow! Keep going.

Tapan
    www.designmaestros.com

i would make the enter site button a little bigger
    looked nice

great design

Hi - Good job w your first Website!
    I do agree with the honourable previous poster, stating that it's good to see a designer
    NOT being driven by the assumed 'cool' colours of Flash Websites: Black & grey, etc.
    On frames: While they do serve a remarkable purpose when they're absolutely needed,
    I think that it's best to avoid them, as already stated, when possible. The big reasons
    are difficult maintenance and problematic search-engine indexing.
    Good choice of colours and good layout.
    My last two suggestions:
    I'm on cable, and it took a while to load, and I also had to scroll to catch all of the content.
    I noticed that your margins were a bit large...reducing these will save weight and scrolling.

You state that you plan on starting your own company: Good for you.
    It takes hard work, but with work it will work.
    FYI :: DSL, IE 6, Win Me, 1280 x 1024
    Hoping for PowerBook G4
    HD|SO|BTC

Thanks for all your crits I really appreciate it, its still only the first version and I have some questions...

The hits state on the aarow: Its a componnent how do I make it bigger on a component? Its angering me...

The Resoltuion: Well my res on my pc is 1024x768 and I see it just fine no scrolling needed... my monitor is 17'' tho.

The connection: on 56k it takes exactly 54 secodns to load the site there should be no problems unless my server was experiencing some down times or maybe you were downloading...

Yea I am trying to find a pixel font to replace my anti aliased do you think this would be a good idea? I would appreciate any suggestions with the font.

I am so with you tapan about switching I just really diddnt have any words at the time that would fit. I mean if I put Welcome, Im cheap... it just isnt right lol if ya get what Im saying...

about the frames... there is no html frames whatso ever I have no idea what you mean by that... if you are talking about flash frames that shouldnt really matter because how is a search engine going to be able to pick up on embeded text? as for now its the simpliest... easy way to do it but Im sure as I get better I will learn more

if you all read that im suprised but thanks for your crits and comments I look forward to posting my work here all you people were great and honest thankyou.
    JoshClancy
    me@joshclancy.com

The Resoltuion: Well my res on my pc is 1024x768 and I see it just fine no scrolling needed... my monitor is 17'' tho.
    I have emailed you how it looks on my screen at 1152x867

about the frames... there is no html frames whatso ever
    How did you generate the html code? cause it is definately in frames. Not that it will cause you too much drama... I just wondered why it was in frames! Also.. make sure you have a title on the page... very important for search engine listings.

Is the portfolio, design, contact pages working? 'Cause they dont seem to be loading!

Dont dispair! there are always bugs to iron out before a site is running correctly... even then, chances are someone who is using an older browser will have problems...its all a part of the "fun"!
    "I like the way he calls himeself Yngwie J. Malmsteen... just so you don't get him mixed up with all the other Yngwie Malmsteen's" (David St. Hubbins - Spinal Tap)

okay I still havent got the e-mail.... honestly there is no frames... I just went in dreamweaver added a swf changed the tittle and uploaded i honestly dont know where the frames are comin from...
    JoshClancy
    me@joshclancy.com

From your web site....

<HEAD><TITLE> Put your page title here</TITLE></HEAD>
    <FRAMESET ROWS="100%, *" frameborder="no" framespacing=0 border=0>
    <FRAME SRC="http://20inchbmx.com/jc/flash" etc.....

Sorry I sent the email to the wrong address... duh! I have resent it.

Try using Flash to generate the HTML. It gives you more options.

Yea I dunno stupid dreamweaver lol
    JoshClancy
    me@joshclancy.com

Anti-Bleh!
    Josh...

AWESOME site - you have made it practical AND good looking, something very rarely seen in a Flash site.

Also, your font is fine - DO NOT REPLACE IT WITH A PIXEL FONT - your site will be lost the millions of other flash sites with tiny pixel fonts.

Great site man,

Thanks! Finally someone who agrees wtih me, see when I change the font to pixel it just doesnt look smooth and it doesnt match the site like i want it to... in other words it just doesnt give it the feel I want it to... for now Im gonna keep the text but maybe I will follow all those trendwhores out there and go with a pix font in the later future

I need to get my pages finished when its done Ill post it!
    JoshClancy
    me@joshclancy.com

oh man ill font and colors.
    maybe.

Yeah I am very impressed for first timer. I like your preloader too? Got an FLA for me so I can study it?

sure thing man e-mail me: me@joshclancy.com and I will hook you up. Just tell me exactly which preloader you want... the one for the splash or the one for the actuall site and ill be glad to give you it

happy 2003

J.
    JoshClancy
    me@joshclancy.com