A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash MX - Macs and PCs

Anti-Bleh!

Flash MX - Macs and PCs

I created a flash site on a PC which contained the fonts: Tahoma, and _sans. After publishing the site to the web, i viewed it on both a Mac and PC. The PC fonts are correct, however on a Mac some of the fonts are different? WHY!!!!!

(BTW: The font areas are dynamic)

Thank You,

George

Anti-Bleh!
    :bump

come on little help please!?

Re: Flash MX - Macs and PCs

Originally posted by phattemer
    I created a flash site on a PC which contained the fonts: Tahoma, and _sans. After publishing the site to the web, i viewed it on both a Mac and PC. The PC fonts are correct, however on a Mac some of the fonts are different? WHY!!!!!

(BTW: The font areas are dynamic)

Thank You,

George
    I think you answered your own question - fonts are handled differently on a PC and a Mac, and unless you are embedding outlines, chances are that they will appear differently, or your font will be replaced if it is not available on the end user's machine.

Make sure that you are embedding fonts, however, in your dynamic text boxes using _sans, you should make sure that "use embedded fonts" is unchecked, since this is a system font. You may also want to look into using some of MX's text scripts to assign your text and modify it's properties.

You'll have the best chance of getting fonts to look alike on different platforms if you stick to the system fonts, especially in input-type text boxes.

I feel your pain - I had a dynamic text drop-down menu which worked beautifully on the PC, but then I had to hack to get it to work properly cross-platform because of the way fonts are handled in the Flash player on different machines.

Anti-Bleh!
    thank you -

so i must embed the font outlines and that should work?