A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discouraged long time Flashkitter

Discouraged long time Flashkitter

I've been surfing and answering questions on the Flashkit board for a long time, but I have to say...This board bums me out. Moderators redirector posts and threads, because they don't seem to fit their view of things. Posts are closed before notifying the original person who posted. Guess my time at Flashkit is over. Feel like a dinosaur. Best wishes to those that stick it out. Wish it was back to the days when the Pope, Rosie and Mark roamed the boards.

Rather than just leaving, perhaps some feedback on what you think needs to be done might be a better idea?

Give some examples, and explain what you think was wrong with them and so on and we can all talk about how people would prefer the boards to be managed; after all the only reason we're here to moderate is to make the boards a nicer place to browse and chat.
    Sam

Señor member
    Originally posted by SJT
    Rather than just leaving, perhaps some feedback on what you think needs to be done might be a better idea?

Give some examples, and explain what you think was wrong with them and so on and we can all talk about how people would prefer the boards to be managed; after all the only reason we're here to moderate is to make the boards a nicer place to browse and chat.
    I couldn't agree more, feedback is supposed to be to make things better. If you're not giving examples of what you feel could be improved then it's going to be difficult to improve them.

I've personally not closed or moved a thread (although I moderate the arena which doesn't have many off topic posts) without posting in it to say I've done something.

Certainly if anyone has a problem with something I've personally done, they can PM me and I'll discuss it. If not, peachy
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

I didn't really think alty's thread about different forums needed moved to scripting & backend although I can see the thinking behind it. Also, the thread about trading places being gay shouldn't have been closed IMO.

That's just constructive feedback (more opinion I suppose ) - I'm not getting at any mods. Ours is not to question why...

Moved to Feedback forum
    Last edited by CVO Chris; 12-30-2002 at 12:54 PM.

Re: Discouraged long time Flashkitter

Originally posted by phacker
    Moderators redirector posts and threads, because they don't seem to fit their view of things. Posts are closed before notifying the original person who posted.
    Alas, the toughest part of moderating is that we do have to make subjective decisions to keep a sense of order, and of course, it's impossible to please everybody. But I've never seen one of our moderators unwilling to discuss their decisions, and oftentimes if a point can be made to re-open a thread, etc., then it will be. After all, we're only human.

That having been said, I'm a long-time member myself, and I think the boards are running great! We've got a large pool of talented people answering questions within minutes; a good solid sense of community; and a pretty good uptime record.

Would hate to see you go, but fail to see what a vague and public piss and moan like this hopes to accomplish. We do have a feedback forum...

As we always say... if you have a problem with something a mod does pm them... Its good to talk

It's just that in some of the forums the moderators jump in and move threads or just plain discourage discussion, before the discussion has really gone past the acceptable. Not that I am talking about topics that are discouraged, that's not it. This is ancient history but I had a thread going about a 9/11 card I had done and because some of the respondents got into witchcraft the moderator closed it. The rest of us were getting it back on track, and maybe educating the main detractor. I just went to post an answer in the Design and Graphics room, and for some reason the main thread had been moved to 3d. Although the effect can be done many ways. I just don't understand.

Originally posted by CVO Chris
    I didn't really think alty's thread about different forums needed moved to scripting & backend small]

ohhh, thats where it went....

I think a lot of the responses to this thread just indicate that I don't belong here anymore. You guys just take things way to seriously. I attended Catholic school, I don't need a lot nuns deciding things for me now. Be seeing some of you on other boards. Flashkit's just not the same anymore. Glad it was fresh when I was learning.

I think a lot of the responses to this thread just indicate that I don't belong here anymore. You guys just take things way to seriously. I attended Catholic school, I don't need a lot nuns deciding things for me now. Be seeing some of you on other boards. Flashkit's just not the same anymore. Glad it was fresh when I was learning.

if your looking for a new board, mine is available, http://notthistime.com/Board just reopened yesterday, so members are still small

Mods, you cant yell at me for seizing the moment

You have to remember that the boards have a very high amount of "younger people" (aka kids) on them, and the boardsd are also G-rated, so there is a responisbility we have to a certian level...

Other than that, I don't see why requests for feedback on the problem would make you conclude FK is finished for you.
    Sam

This is ancient history but I had a thread going about a 9/11 card I had done and because some of the respondents got into witchcraft the moderator closed it. The rest of us were getting it back on track, and maybe educating the main detractor. I just went to post an answer in the Design and Graphics room, and for some reason the main thread had been moved to 3d. Although the effect can be done many ways. I just don't understand.
    Not to be pendantic, but did you e-mail that mod asking why the thread was removed, or asking for it to be re-opened? Or did you e-mail the webmaster?

And just because a thread is in a different forum, if you have something to contribute, does that mean that you can't? Perhaps you can educate some of the people in the 3d forum?

FK's Official A&A Addict
    I must agree with packer in some instances, now i have been here since 2000 (i got a other account lateron that's why my registration date hasn't been that old) and have been here to see it all grow. Ok in the old days i never was in the coffe lounge. I was an A&A only member. all these post i have are all made in the A&A section. (since post in the coffee lounge don't count since i came into the coffelounge) anyway the only change i see is that alot of moderators the old core of moderators have left.

Those that have stayed, however, do moderate as they did back then. Ofcourse since i havn't been in the coffeelounge since recently i cannot judge about those who moderate here in the coffeelounge. However i can surely do about those in the a&a section and i'm pleased that it didn't change over time...
    Last edited by justice strike; 12-30-2002 at 01:38 PM.

Hey, the thing about the 9/ll card was moved and I was notified by the moderator afterwards. This other thing about the effect that was moved to 3d, I just wonder why. The original poster posted it in Design, why send it to 3d? None of what I am complaining about had anthing to do with content that wouldn't be suitable for minors. It was just a moderator head trip thing. Kind of sorry I started the thread, except maybe for those of you that stick around, maybe things will loosen up a little. I am sure the Pope, Mark and Rosie would approve of that.

hey Phacker... I understand your grievances man. but I just am sorry to see a 3D forum contributor/long-term posting member go...

we need all the people with fresh ideas and perspectives here.

maybe if I tell a couple of jokes, you'll stay?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Maybe the mod thought it would get a better response in 3D?
    Have you asked them why they moved it?
    Have you asked them if they'll move it back?

It's no good going on about "the good old days" and how it's not like it used to be; those mods aren't around anymore and theres nothing that can be done about it. We are here however, and if you talk to us rather than loudly exclaiming you're leaving it might be a bit more constructive, it would be a shame to see you go.
    Sam

I think if this junior mod thing started, he would stay

FK's Official A&A Addict
    That's it i'm leaving

phacker, what do you suggest as a solution to this problem?

Originally posted by SJT
    those mods aren't around anymore and theres nothing that can be done about it.
    then why are they still mods?

alty you are way desperate

Originally posted by kamyab

alty you are way desperate

me? desperate?