A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Connecting to a database

Connecting to a database

The 3D Flash Animation comparison table shows that 3DFA allows you to connect to a database from within a movie file. I've looked through the documentation and can't find anything that tells me how to do this.

Does anyone know how I can connect to a MySQL database from within a 3D Flash Animation file?

Thank you
    cj

Re: Connecting to a database

Originally posted by wthCJ
    The 3D Flash Animation comparison table shows that 3DFA allows you to connect to a database from within a movie file. I've looked through the documentation and can't find anything that tells me how to do this.

Does anyone know how I can connect to a MySQL database from within a 3D Flash Animation file?

Thank you
    You cannot directly put must use a server side code as well. (same with flashMX) There is an example of this at http://deadyeti.com/blanius under guestbook. This example connects to a database and allows entry of new comments and a list of comments.

Basically the server does the real work and just sends data to the flash via loadVariables command you can load them into 3dfa. You might want to search the forum for references to PHP as I know I've posted several topics on how to do that sort of thing.

kewl

Great! Thank you.

I will look at how you're interfacing with the database.

I am versed with PHP so will choose that as my poison.

Thanks again
    cj