A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: recording local webcam then uploading at end

flashing since v3

recording local webcam then uploading at end

does anyone have any tutorials that could help me on my quest to upload a 1-frame webcam shot?

the webcam feed must be local, and not local sent to server... this is to maintain image quality, and supress high network traffic of multiple users of one flash movie.

thanks in advance

its good to be back at flashkit again
    my blog ::www.chriswardonline.com
    where i work :: www.anydoc.com
    Flash Communications Server project :: www.want2cam.com

psx = new Moderator();
    I'm really not sure what it is you mean, you want to take a snapshot and then have it uploaded? But you don't want the snapshot to be "captured" at the server, but rather locally? I'm really not sure that is possible, unless you use a different app to grab the image and then upload it. Then of course, you have a jpg/etc vs an flv.

Are you using the communication server? I know it's possible to use the netStream object with flashcom to capture a single frame and save that to the server, but I'm not sure if that is what you want. I think with one frame you wouldn't have to worry too much about network congestion.

Post more info or whatever you have so far and I'll see if I can help. I remember reading somewhere about creating snapshots with flashcom but haven't done it yet myself. Shouldn't be too difficult!

Psx

flashing since v3
    hey, well i was up til 7am last night/ this morning...
    ive was up for like 25hrs
    and i can proudly say, i made a **** load of progress

there's actually a snapshot demo in the flashcomm package...
    i fixed it up, tweaked it... it works like a dream!

then i went to macromedia to check out the prices of buying fcs,

$450 not bad... so I'm reading and thinking : "oh, what's this? only 10 connections? i must pay for the pro edition? holy crap $4,500 for 500 connections, $4000 for additional expansion packs!!!!!!!!"

there's no way im spending that kind of money for only one feature of fcs that came in the demo... but im not thinking of getting a copy, this is for a professional solution... just cant go there

so it's currently under investigation as to how these flv files are created... using middleware i'm hoping to export the data created in an flv directly to a database field... there would be no need for the fcs!

but the really big challenge now is trying to figure out how to create flvs without the fcs

a friend is helping me out, andy from www.my3w.com... he's helped me out tremendously, now fcs is a breeze to understand

but i have my suspicions that it's the fcs that runs the codecs for creating the data. :\ ****

maybe the answer is to program some custom software to port to, that sits on the server and runs the codec ( i must contact them sonsoren spark people)

any feedback is greatly appreciated right now...

there are a few software packages that let you convert to flv format. but how do you propose to make it easy for a client to record themself and send it to you for playback other than using fcs? Thats the idea. I could take my webcam, use some kind of capture software, then convert the avi with sorenson squeeze and send it to the server as an flv. But it would be just as easy to convert it to any other format essentially. Why use flash at all if this is your goal. FLV files will not really stream without using fcs anyway.
    The advantage of using fcs is to eliminate all software on the client's system other than flash player. All you need is a webcam and flash player.
    However, if you are looking for a solution to creating video that will reside on your server, not uploaded by a user, then look at Squeeze or Flix or something like that. Or just do it using Flash.

flashing since v3
    look, my research has taught me that capturing a photo is not done on the server side!

codec compression and flv creation are powered by the fcs, the standalone flash player will not compress and create files locally.

yes, this post is directly linked to this one http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=350543

if you read more about the project in general, the flash standalone player is the perfect answer to the solution.

FYI, it is possible to import an flv file directly into an online flash file at runtime, same as using the loadMovie(file.flv,1);
    or from what i can remember lol...

i would like to add, this issue has been resolved now, and that people interested should pay attention to this post >>>>
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=350543

>look, my research has taught me that capturing a photo is not done >on the server side!

>codec compression and flv creation are powered by the fcs, the >standalone flash player will not compress and create files locally.

i wasnt clear at all what you meant. it seemed you wanted a way to do without fcs. i believe i said that the only reasonable way was to use fcs.

flashing since v3
    i want a way to capture the data, without creating an flv... but to export the data to a encoder other than fcs, to save some money.

Danny Gomez Creations ® cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin

Oh, another way...

...you could actually use the developer edition
    If I got it right...

1.- you wont use any streaming video
    2.- you only need to send / get snapshots

so heres an alternative solution with the developer edition:

Only when you need to make the snapshot the photo, you make the connection to the flashcom server. When the transfer is done, you close the connection again.

If 10 people are connected at the same time, the other clients could stays in line, trying to reconnect to the server in a 1 sec intervall until their connection succes. When it does you transmitt the snapshot and close the connection, making it available for others.

Of course this is a lame solution if you are planning to have more than hundreds of people capturing at the same time...
    ..:: P S Y T O P I A 2 0 0 5 :::..
    . . . view the psytopia reels _____RIVEND REEL | GOMEZ REEL_____ . . . . . . . . . . .

Will moderate for beer
    Seriously, stop bumping 7 year old threads.