A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: family business

family business

hi all, this was done in my spare time at work

the 3 floating buttons are done yet, so dont bother clicking on them.

all the pages under contact information are done

Everyone here uses high speed modems, and i was wondering if someone out there could tell me if they think i need a preloader becuase of load times.

thanks

i take it it is this site:

http://www.boydbrothersservice.com/

that you want us to review.

if so, you definately need a preloader - i'm on 56k and spent almost a minute looking at a black screen - not something alot of customers will be willing to do.

i do not see why you are using seperate movies and html files - i usually wham it all in one. your method means there is no real transition, the transitions are one of your only chances to show of your flashy animation skills. the seperate files also create a stop in the music, and a black screen, every time you click a link which is annoying.

for corporate site i prefer light backrounds and a simpler colour scheme. try a light background with less bright colours - or maybe try the colour scheme on your van - red white and blue. also, your company logo should be on every page. these idea's will help to reinforce your brand.

try putting an introduction to your company on the homepage, under the logo on the left hand side, to let your visitors know exactly who you are and what you do.

further to that, a profile section, describing how the company started and the number of customers or some profit figures, may be a good idea

it is always a good idea to let the user have the option to turn off the music, some people are listening to their own music while they surf.

on pages like the employee directory, you should give users a link back to the contact menu and the home page, some newer people to the internet will not use the back button and just close the browser or type a new address. pages, especially your homepage - should never be more than a couple clicks away.

personally, i do not like sites that change my cursor - unless there i a real purpose (like a game)

good luck for the future
    jgo: pleased to meet you.

it would be cool if you could crash the van into stuff...maybe you could work a mini-game into the site, it would be completely unprofessional but i would visit every day to crash the van. kind of a guilty pleasure, yaknow?

If i make all the pages on one movie using the goto and play feature wont my load time be incedible slow.
    Should i try to make the whole page on 1 movie without sound to test load times?

Blunt Honesty coming.

This is a corporate site.. you want to instill the image that you are profesional. What you have done is created a poor image. No web site would be better then that one and i'll tell you why.

Your customers or people visting that site have no need for extended graphics, chance are they are people on low grade commercial computers bought in the thousands to outfit an office.

1: The colours are god awful... that is a very 1980's style gradient colours looks like early bad html sites.

2: the functioality is poor, using the van as a pointer is almost commical.

3: From the home page i had no idea what the company actually did, i had to look at the links for a general idea on what the services are.

if you want some free advice your welcome to have it, take every lound and violent colour there are never use it again. go use some whites, greys and newvou colours like ultra pastel or "beneton" colours and make it in html... keep it basic and loose the kitchy tacky stuff.

No offense, but you posted here for a real opinion right???

in your opinion should i even make the site in flash?
    or should i just stick to html
    this is my fathers business and so far he said he loved it.
    but compared to all the other site checks out there, you are deffinetly right

i should rethink the page and remove all the bright colors and keep it simple

what should i do about the cursor since everybody here at the company loves it.
    In fact at one point i thought it severly clashed with the site, and tried to remove it.
    Everyone had a fit, and told me they all wanted it back.

What should i do?

I'd say buy a fake moustache and head for the airport...but that's probably overreacting...

Originally posted by zif_ponzi
    in your opinion should i even make the site in flash?
    or should i just stick to html
    this is my fathers business and so far he said he loved it.
    but compared to all the other site checks out there, you are deffinetly right

i should rethink the page and remove all the bright colors and keep it simple

what should i do about the cursor since everybody here at the company loves it.
    In fact at one point i thought it severly clashed with the site, and tried to remove it.
    Everyone had a fit, and told me they all wanted it back.

What should i do?
    Tell them it's poor design and fix it.. because after seing that site no one will actually call them.

Don't use flash %100, use tables and make a flash banner.. i think the logo effect is cool. BUT, do it in html and make it smooth and simple. for example a site i designed uses that theory of simplicity and mixed flash content. www.creativevillage.co.uk

on a more serious note, my suggestion would be to do the site mainly in html and just have a banner at the top done in flash (but go for a more professional look) you can possibly work the van in to a small animation inside the header.

that would let you design something more corporate-feeling while not alienating your coworkers.

hope that helps!

you said exactly what i said...

yeah, u beat me to it, i was typing while you posted