A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Multimedia courses in the UK

Multimedia courses in the UK

Anyone recommend one in particular?

I'm having a difficult time at the moment; really not enjoying my course much and I'm looking for people's views on courses throughout the UK.
    i'm thinking of transferring to somewhere else, but I've found from experience that just going to places and looking round them doesn't really give you any idea what the course is really like.
    So, any comments?
    Sam

Señor member
    mine is OK, I'm doing an MSc Creative Technology course at Leeds Met.

It doesn't have the best support for people who want to work on the web though, there's a lot of boring 3D and video but on a masters you basically teach yourself anyway so it's good having access to all the tools.

What sort of topics/subjects are you looking for?
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

Hmm, difficult question really...I suppose multimedia programming and design and such like really; I enjoy solving the design and programming puzzles of building something in whatever is best suited to do it in (i.e. Flash, Director, HTML etc.).

I've spent a year an a half on my current degree and i'm just not finding it stimulating or particularly well delivered; e.g. seminars of 120 in a lecture theatre is not a seminar, it's another lecture, and I don't really feel I've produced anything good at all or really stretched myself...
    Sam

Its been a very long time since i've been here ... Hey Jamble could u give a url for that school ... because i'm looking for something like u described

www.lmu.ac.uk is the url

Jamble, what do you know about the Multimedia Technology course at lmu?
    Sam

hi sjt,

kingston, loughborough, and norwich are all excellent courses for multimeadia and win a lot of awards for thier work.

i went to kingston to talk to people etc and found it a nice place and well supported. i have friends at loughborough and norwich but i havent spoken to them in a while... last i knew though both the courses were excellent, the area was nice, people nice etc, but more importantly they actually taught you skills and were very good in general... all 3 of these places also have excellent industry links and have big name people guest speaking etc... worth a look....

they are all hard to get into though as they like the best... hence why i didnt get in hehehe.
    fishpiracy
    ...The Eror Group...
    Rockdirect base, 17" laptop.
    core duo 2.3ghz 512mb graphics
    2gb ram 80gb hdd +goodies.

If you are into graphics/3d stuff, I have heard many great things about The Surrey Institute of Art & Design.

TE

Kingston might be worth a look. I was just speaking with the admin for the faculty of science network and it seems they've been investing large amounts in new multimedia software new licences for Maya, Flash, Dreamweaver etc (yet a working radiator in my office seems too much to ask for ) I think they also have courses in things like html (I think that one goes pretty slow), javascript and Lingo.
    The school of Maths also have courses in traditional programming with java and c++ (they've finally ditched fortran )

if you like I can ask about what kind of multimedia courses there are, the website seems a little limited in the information it offers.